Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Furniture for FR take 2

kellienoelle
10 years ago

Hello, my new sofa and loveseat are in place so time to move on to phase two, a chair and ottoman/coffee table. For those who had been following my hundreds of iterations of this room a couple of months ago, you'll recall that I tossed my hands in the air of having a "vision" in favor of just getting something ordered. So here is the room with the new stuff. As I mentioned, sofa and loveseat are new, we'd like to keep the rug, everything else is open for replacement.
{{!gwi}}

For the chair we like the Keller by Rowe for its size, comfort, price point, and option to use Sunbrella fabrics (a plus in our three dog household). Here are some fabric options

......my computer died so I'm trying to do this via iPad which is torture because I can't seem to copy and paste the links from photobucket. Since I've typed and lost this post about five times now I'm just updating this as I can and will try to add pics in new posts.....be patient with me because I am quickly losing patience with this darn iPad.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:24

Comments (86)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A zig zag pattern similar to what Beverly suggested

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I'll stop for know, thoughts on any colors, patterns? Requests for other options?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the art that's in the room, it isn't large enough to hang over the sofa. Currently it is in the niche above the fireplace (that's a whole other project)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the throw so you can see how the leather works with that color

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like the pattern at 18:31, which is sort of Suzani. However, I don't think id use another "round" pattern, since your rug pattern is roundish.

I don't care for the zigzag, to me that looks old fashioned. I know chevron is in, but something about that particular fabric just looks frumpy, IMHand biasedO.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also love that pattern but am not sure I can picture it as a large part of the room, but I've already admitted my phobia for mixing large graphic prints. It's funny because I see it in decorated rooms, such as the one above and thinks it looks nice, but can't figure out why....haha. But maybe on pillows or even window treatments.

Here is the orange version of the same

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I don't know how to post photos, but you might want to check out the Monet Water Universal 36 Round Ottoman.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Kellie, I like it, but im on an ethnic kick, so ...

Also I find it easier to mix patterns if they are not both curvilinear...

This is kind of out there, but what about the Dash and Albert Zanzibar? I have it in a throw rug that was on a brick floor in our lakehouse.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

What about bringing in the orange and magenta both in the stripe for the chair and the ottoman, and then using the fabric as a faux shade under burlap drapes from Restoration Hardware, or even bringing in a striped Orange and Magenta fabric for your drapes??

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

To further the concept a bit more, the striped fabric brings in the brown from the sofa and loveseat and adds the orange and magenta without being garish. I'll bet that Rowe would be willing to upholster the ottoman as I have diagrammed with diagonal seams across the top. That adds an additional pattern that could also be used on 2 throw pillows. Then add a few magenta pillows, along with the textured drapes and faux striped shades and you're done.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got my computer back!!! So this means floor layouts and OB's are back as well. As suggested above, here is the layout with sofa and loveseat swapped.

Initial thought, I feel like it makes the room appear smaller. Yes, the sofa is in front of the fireplace but it really closes off the entrance to an already small room and makes the furniture look bunched. Plus I would be back to the drawing board on the ottoman as a square wouldn't be the best option. I could find either a rectangular or do 2 ottomans side by side. I really like the Griffin Ottoman that I originally posted because it is tall so the dogs could lay under it, less fabric on the sides to trap the dog hair. I would need to get a sofa table because otherwise that gap just wouldn't look right.

Thoughts, opinions? Am I just being stubborn by ruling it out without at least trying it?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mtn - I am strongly leaning towards a stripe as well because it makes me feel like I have pattern and color but doesn't clash with the carpet. I really love that D&A rug with the pretty colors. The size would work if I went with the scenario above. How do you feel about the turned legs with the simpler legs of the sofa and proposed chair? How do I convince my husband that the pink on the rug isn't actually pink? I have a feeling he will think it looks too feminine, but there is a store quite close that sells D&A so perhaps I can check it out.

Beverly - if I do go the square route, I love the idea of using that pattern. I wonder if Rowe would do that, they are pretty budget priced so I don't know how willing they are to customize. That isn't my favorite fabric option, I'm drawn more to the "persimmon" oranges, but it would work with any stripe, even that one that it more textural then a true stripe. Let me play with some OBs

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Kellie,
    I wouldn't worry about the turned legs, think they will go fine. As for the Zanzibar pattern, well, yes, it does have some pink. I'm not so sure if it wouldnt' look too summery paired with your leather sofa, though. Maybe you could bring home the small rug if you like it; its bath mat sized!

I really like the direction Beverly is giving you, with the stripes. Again I would probably not mix in a curvilinear pattern with a curvilinear patterned rug, especially of similar scale.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tossed this together quickly so this is far from a nicely put together OB, but here is how it would look with the D&A ottoman and a "beige" chair. Obviously I'll be needing tod in more elements, but here are the basic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think it is too pale, too summery, do you? Of course lighting plays a role here so it's hard to know.

I don't think the dog likes it!

LOL

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can pick up a swatch tomorow hopefully to see how it looks in the actual room with the lighting there.

mtn - do you have thoughts on layout posted above?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think either layout is fine, but it may make more sense to have the larger sofa face the TV, if you use the TV a lot.

BTW my dogs loves sleeping under the ottoman!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Kellienoelle, I like the rendition where you have the sitting area centered on the fireplace. Agree with larger sofa being in front of the fireplace. Also with a sofa table being behind the smaller sofa. It'll look nice with nice knickknacks, maybe a lamp, on it.

People get concerned about walking space. Personally, I don't. These rooms are meant for sitting, lounging, conversation, so I would gear it toward that. Not a big deal if one has to take two steps to the left to walk into the sitting area. I think that setup is lovely and inviting.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Your open kitchen/family room isn't a dramatic space, so you could go too far with dramatic colors and prints.

I like the blue and orange print. That dark blue looks similar to some of the blue fabrics you sampled. I like the softer oranges like the persimmon herrigbone. I remember KevinMP who had the historic Phillly house used a similar fabric on a chair in his dining room. He had blue walls too.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I tried to find that fabric but he has many threads about his LR. He didn't end up with that fabric on his chair but with a coral and blue that has a subtle effect. Thought I'd link to his final thread so you can see his color scheme. Similar to your Monet fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: KevinMP

This post was edited by may_flowers on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 11:05

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Kellie, where you liked the orange accents above, is the D&A Montana Stripe Ottoman an option at all, or too 'loud' for you? I linked it below.

I'm having quite a time finding a fabric for my ottoman that will blends with my leather sofa and the Karastan rug I have in my LR.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montana Stripe Turned Leg Rug Ottoman

This post was edited by my3dogs on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 14:37

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, I have always loved Kevin's rooms and decor. His house has so much more charm than mine does. In an effort to add a bit of charm, a long term plan is to add crown molding into that family room addition to match the rest of the lower level. But all in due time since funds aren't unlimited.

Talked to my husband about floorplan, showed him the other with the sofa across from the fireplace. On paper he prefers it to be more open, but I'll see if I can get him to do a little swap just to see. Showed him the D&A Ottoman and got a very emphatic no on the pink. He actually doesn't care for any of the patterns. The most I could talk him into was a subtle (not bold) more tone on tone narrow stripe. He is OK with the orange/persimmon/tangerine tones. We decided that we should probably stick with the Sunbrella fabrics simply from a care standpoint. I am planning to add a pattern on the windows, maybe a stripe, so hopefully can find a balance between boring and over the top.

I have requested swatches of the following (these are the stock photos). Still thinking the accent color on the ottoman with a neutral on the chair and coordinating pillows.

So for chair something like:
    Voyage Sparrow
    {{!gwi}}

Dupioni Sand
    {{!gwi}}
    Bisbee Fiesta
    {{!gwi}}
    And a darker one that may be too dark but I love the print
    {{!gwi}}

And ottoman:
    Marcello Sunset
    {{!gwi}}

Heritage Pumpkin
    {{!gwi}}

Or Dupioni Nectarine
    {{!gwi}}

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stopped in a cute little local store and they have this chair on their floor. It's very comfortable and a fun color. What do you think? I would have to measure for size as I think it is slightly larger than the Rowe I was originally planning. I have a close up of the furniture too to follow

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like it!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the fabric

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I stopped to pick up the Dash and Albert fabric. I love the colors in it. It's probably a little more muted than it appears in the photo, I have noticed that my iphone makes everything much more vibrant than it looks to the naked eye.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I love Dash and Albert rugs, but I don't think that fabric works at all in your LR. It doesn't have the same, or rightâ¦what's the word? genre? drawing a blank hereâ¦but it looks like something that might be in a baby's room.

Your sofas are very nice leather, giving the room and aura, and look, of sophistication and warmth. How about a tweed for the chair?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Tweed

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like tweed, but worry about the texture trapping the dog hair. Same with the rug too actually. The dogs are 100% of the reason we went with leather, so I need to make similar wise choices in the other items (taking most fabrics with a texture out of the running). Sigh. I'll never make a decision. I am more and more thinking to just go neutral and add in a punch with accents.

However, I love the colors of this rug so much I am trying to figure out where else in the house I can use it. But my husband still says no to the pink so I think it'll be a no go.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the zig zag pattern at 18:40. I would love to have a pair of chairs in that pattern!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Any fabric chair is going to have dog hair stick to it. They they actually get up on the chair or just rub against it? Best way to get dog hair out of any fabric is to just put on a latex dishwashing glove and wipe it off. Comes right up.

Yes, Dash and Albert rugs are great. If I had a house on a beach, it'd be full of D&A rugs!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some fabrics are worse then others.I don't mind cleaning up the hair as I understand that it is just part of dog ownership. I have two shelties and they have that fuzzy undercoat that gets trapped into the fibers of any textured fabrics (the tweedish fabric that we had in this room recently) but just wipes off of any that are more smooth (the microfiber couch I had at my last house, the smooth pillows we currently have). They both lay on the furniture and rub against it. I was actually probably most annoyed by the areas where they could rub against, makes it wear quite quickly. I know it seems silly to make so many decisions based on the dogs, but I'm all about simplicity and have gotten tired of fighting fabrics that just aren't the right choice!

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

Hi Kellie,
    have you looked at Crypton fabrics? they've been used in nursing homes, perfect for dog-households too... indestructible. Now available to home owners. They dont have a lot of options, but it might be worth a look. A solid color would work for your chair considering your dogs might like laying in that sunny cozy spot. You wouldnt have any worries. Do you like a bit of whimsey? Here's an idea for your ottoman

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Massagerocks,

I haven't looked at crypton, but was looking at Sunbrella. I'll have to investigate the differences. Anything that is indestructible definitely peaks my interest. And I love whimsey and love that dog fabric. Seems appropriate in a house of three dog!

Well I just got the orange chair for the following reasons.....it's made and I don't have to overthink it anymore, it was at a pretty large discount at a local store that I like shopping at (and supporting), it is super super comfortable, and I love the color and fabric. The color really does bring some life to the earth tone room. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but I really like it! So far two dogs have checked it out.

Now I feel like I can safely select paint color.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, I like that chair a lot! Great color and can't beat comfortable!

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

What a find Kellie! Looks great!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the look with more of the room (FYI - that large plant lives outside when it isn't freezing outside!). I also got a couple of pillow that have blue, orange, brown birds on them, but they are in my husbands car so i'll post a new pic when they arrive. Not sure about them, but we'll see.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I like it too. It's just enough color.

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

You said ..."sofa and loveseat are new, we'd like to keep the rug, everything else is open for replacement..."

That said, I'd love the beautiful puppy! LOL He would go so well with my Hershey's Chocolate-colored Harry Dog!

I couldn't help myself; I had to add this even though I'm a lurker. Your dog is beautiful!

• peegee
    10 years ago

Just want to throw out another viewpoint albeit I'm sure an unpopular one....You've noted the "cozy" size of the room, although I love your sofa, chair and carpet, I'm not a fan of too many elements-pattern in a room, especially a small one, as I think the end result can be visual clutter and a feeling of unrest. I like the ivory for the chair or even possibly the tweed although I hear it doesn't meet your needs, but I would use the same fabric of the chair - like the ivory - on the ottoman to calm things down and provide a pleasing backdrop for the layer of colorful accessories you plan to add. I suspect with the oddment fabric on the ottoman, it will look like an after thought and just too, too much.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I liked Kellionellie's neutral plan. Sure, it looks a little summery. No, it looks bland. It needs an orange throw and a huge orange pot for the fall affair, some great greens for the Christmas time, and you can use a great beach glass color for spring and some marigold colors for late summer. I would leave it neutral and put all the colors in art and throws, etc.

I did orange, brown and turquoise early marriage and I grew very tired of the orange. I would move the orange chair to the bedroom and then bring it back. I loved the chair, but the color is very intense and I just could not take it all the time. My mother warned me!!!

Small room . . . the sofas are going to consume a lot of your volume and volume can make the room look cluttered with too many colors. JMHO.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Just throwing this out here. If you choose to remain with a neutral pallet, keeping in mind the great colors of your sheltie, you could take a piece of the beautiful fabric you like and stretch it over framed canvas, pull it tight, staple it and make your own art work as tall or as short as you like or a composition of same.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Your orange chair is wonderful! I like the way it picks up the color of the print on the right over the fireplace.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness Kellie, your room is gorgeous! The chair is such a perfect fit!

• peegee
    10 years ago

Somehow I missed the orange chair purchase - think I had opened up my reply before you posted, but went back and finished after you did!! I love the color of the chair and how it looks in the room - especially since it doesn't introduce another pattern and the warm color can be a unifying one for accessories.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, I really like the chair. I honestly just don't have the eye to layer pattern. Some advise offered earlier about fact that it would just look too busy rings true to me and what I was fighting. But I think the color gives it just enough pop to spare it from being boring, and it is a nice warm color I am comfortable with bringing in throughout the room with accents and blends well with other areas of the house visible from that room. We relocated the plant and pushed the chair back into the corner. Placed the pillows that we purchased that I am not certain about. And oddly enough, I now can like my old coffee table more because the color works with the new furniture.

So I am now going to move on to phase 3. Paint color for the room, I don't like the current color (raffia cream) but have the darker color on the strip (gobi desert) in the other main rooms and like it a bit more. Not sure if we should just go with that or look for something else. Find some pillows, throws, and accent pieces.

The ottoman and curtains will be phase 4 or so! I need to take a break from all of the choices!
    I'll get there eventually!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caroline - my three lovely dogs thank you for your comment. They are all quite sure that you were referring to them specifically!

I keep thinking that one day I can ensure that I wont be in a situation to have to consider pet hair in furniture purchased, but that just doesn't sound as much fun as having the company of my three little guys (or the dogs I know will follow).

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Kellie, I have been boarding with collies/shelties and Persians for years. It is more fun to live with them than clean behind them but their company makes all the hair/dust worthwhile (I think).

• User
    10 years ago

Love the new chair, the scale is just right! I was worried you'd get a huge club chair in that that would crowd everything. Now....,I would absolutely put the sofa facing the television. The way it is arranged now looks wrong ...you have a large sofa anchoring a wall that doesn't need it. The tv wall needs the balance of the larger sofa, and I would float out the love seat from the wall I (where the sofa is now) at least a few inches.

This project is coming along so nicely!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I think the sofa is already facing the television.