Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Furniture for FR take 2

Posted by kellienoelle (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 12:52

Hello, my new sofa and loveseat are in place so time to move on to phase two, a chair and ottoman/coffee table. For those who had been following my hundreds of iterations of this room a couple of months ago, you'll recall that I tossed my hands in the air of having a "vision" in favor of just getting something ordered. So here is the room with the new stuff. As I mentioned, sofa and loveseat are new, we'd like to keep the rug, everything else is open for replacement.
 photo photo211_zpsac215e63.jpg

For the chair we like the Keller by Rowe for its size, comfort, price point, and option to use Sunbrella fabrics (a plus in our three dog household). Here are some fabric options

......my computer died so I'm trying to do this via iPad which is torture because I can't seem to copy and paste the links from photobucket. Since I've typed and lost this post about five times now I'm just updating this as I can and will try to add pics in new posts.....be patient with me because I am quickly losing patience with this darn iPad.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Furniture for FR take 2

Here is a link to the chair, obviously we won't get pink. And don't have room for an ottoman so it will be chair alone

Here is a link that might be useful: Keller chair

o

Ad the fabric choices for the chair. Some of you may recall that I was thinking of doing this in an accent color but struggled in finding the right one. So now I am thinking of doing a brown tone (copping out) and adding color in with accessories. Here are the overall options and next ill post close ups since they are all a bit textured.
 photo image_zpsf0056a43.jpg

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:20

o

photo image_zps9655611f.jpg

o

photo image_zps0b7a4a16.jpg

o

photo image_zpsb6362c22.jpg

o

Chocolate brown for the chair, which is very pretty, btw. It'll work really well with you coffee table and side tables.

Also, maybe move the arrangement you have now out from the wall so that it is centered on the fireplace? And turn the coffee table the other way so it is in line with the fireplace.

o

Here is the link to the ottoman we are considering....

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffin ottoman

o

Thank you Tibbe" we were posting at same time. Here is a link to the floor plan I am working off of for our smallish room which is open to the kitchen. If you have suggestions for improvement I'm al ears! The items are scaled for the furniture we have or have selected that I link here (except for side tables....still working on those). The chair will be pulled in closer o fireplace. The plan is to replace both coffee and side tables (although I'm sure I'll quite miss the durability of the bulletproof slate,)
 photo myimage2_zpse8f20ec7.jpg

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 13:46

o

Oh I have ordered this side table to go t the let of the sofa. It won't be highly visible as it will be between sofa and wall

o

And then to further complicate things there is a nice La Barge coffee table on CL that could be a less practical but less expensive contender. Although I'm thinking it it's style isn't as relaxed as the room will likely turn out.

So any thoughts on the fabrics? If I opt for the ottoman, same fabric as chair, different? Back to drawing board for other fabric opions? I apologize for the number of posts it took for me to finally get to the point!

o

I would still pull the entire arrangement out from the wall so that it is centered with the fireplace. It looks like you can do that. And if you have two sofas in an L shape, definitely, definitely get a square coffee table ( know, total bummer because of the oval one you like.

You could also put the round side table in the square corner the two sofas will create.

I am so in love with chocolate brown right now because of its versatility - can be rustic, contemporary, goes with every color…but it's also rich and has character. If I were choosing the "in" color, it would be Chocolate brown! But indeed, it really would go very nicely in your room.

The ottoman seems perfect for the chair you got, but it's huge and seems way too big for that room. Can you get a smaller version of it? And I'm a believer in getting an ottoman, if it can be afforded, even if it's "too small" for in front of a chair. It can be decorative and put somewhere, under a window, next to the fireplace, wherever, but available if people are sitting around relaxing and the person in the chair wants to put his or her feet up.

I think a darker color fabric would look so nice on that carpet.

o

Okay, I like the sofas and the rug very much

To me, of the three fabrics, the only one that works w the rug is the off white, but I think that is too stark vs your sofas. Can you google rooms w brown leather sofas and find an idea?

Love the table you ordered.

I may get some flack for my comment on the table. It is on Craig's List, because my parents had one just like it. It is not out enough to be in again. I know the appeal ... in my first house I had a LaBarge like it too, worse yet (cringing, hiding my face) there were swans involved. And in some homes, they still work. But I think the vibe is off for your room.

o

Lol @ "There were swans involved."

o

Tibbix the ottoman would be in place of the coffee table since what we pretty much use it for is as a foot rest so we may as we'll make it comfy. The chair will honestly not be used often, just when guests come so I didn't want the extra piece in a small room for such rare use. I'll play at moving the sofa and loveseat in, when I was planning the original layout and considering a sofa table to pull in the sofa the consensus is that the room was too small for that. It is kind of a cozy room!

Love the idea of chocolate so I'll have to get more samples. They have the textures in many different colors so I'm sure they will have one that works.

MTN - glancing thur this with all the items together, I completely agree with you about the vibe not working. I went down that path when I got the side table, but thinks that the gold accents may be best used sparingly, Plus less practical, I'm all about saving some bucks but not if it doesn't work. Plus realistically, I kind of hate glass tops because I don't want to winded daily

o

Could you exchange the sofa and the love seat? Would the sofa cut into your doorway too much? Putting the love seat on the wall area will give you more room for you pretty table you ordered. Then you could put your coffee table parallel with the sofa centered on the fireplace. Just depends on how your sofa/doorway work out..

o

Kellie,
I like the gold you brought in with the other table!

I guess, too, I am a huge fan of ottomans vs coffee table. You can easily make an ottoman into a table with a large sturdy tray. You can't make a coffee table into an ottoman. Not to mention I spend a lot more of my time with my feet up then I do entertaining callers in my living room with high tea.

I would get a kilim or rug style ottoman with a lot of colrs in it, and then draw some of those colors out into the chair or pillow.

Like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: there are lots here

o

I see you've started accessorizing with the Kleenex box, so you know you want blue in that room!

I like the second fabric the best for color and texture and would love to see you stray a little from your comfort zone for ottoman fabric.

o

I vote for the cream fabric for the chair. I love your sofas but I think you need to break up the brown a little. Blue accents would be nice to bring out the blue in your artwork.

o

Actually, I've changed my mind and agree with JoaniePoanie, that the ivory/cream fabric is better than another dark. Also works with the white blanket on the sofa. I think JoaniePoanie makes a good point, re: breaking up the dark furniture.

o

Like the concept of adding the ottoman and chair to the room. The CL table seems more appropriate for a more formal space.

It would be nice if you add an additional color to the FR for a bit of punch. Went through the fabrics from Rowe and maybe here are some options you might not have considered.

I really like the blue/brown striped fabric because it would coordinate with not only the sofa and loveseat, but the art over the sofa.

o

This is only one tiny little thought, the throw over the back of the sofa is really bothering me. I think you should take it off and throw it over the side of the arms. I know its a small suggestion but I can not help but notice it.

I like the blue stripe for your fabric.

I also really love this ottoman. Reminds me of one I had before in my living room in my previous home.

Here is a link that might be useful: ottoman

o

Because I am working on one right now, using the base of this coffee table, making an ottoman, I just want to offer another opinion that one CAN make a coffee table into an ottoman. At the link below, you'll see many others. Maybe mtnrdredux meant that you can't do it in seconds, as in placing a tray on an ottoman to make a coffee table, but it can be done. My upholstered top will lift out, so I can pop in another top, or use it as a coffee table base.

photo 00m0m_5r2Y2lVwq3L_600x450_zpsf835f3dd.jpg

Kellie, now that I have seen your room, I love the round side table you have ordered, but agree that the LaBarge isn't the best fit. It looks great in this room, though! IMO, the hoof feet are great, but I couldn't use swans, either.

photo vintage_labarge_brass_coffee_table01_zpsd604157f.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee tables made into ottomans

o

Did you see the Sunbrella Voyage Stream fabric? It's got subtle brown and blue stripes.

o

I just came across this Houzz article. The color palette reminded me of yours, just in case you want to stay very monochromatic.

Here is a link that might be useful: nature suggests color palette

o

With all the browns I would do your chair in an accent color. Turquise? A print with yellow or orange? If you want something. Ore subtle an olive green with tans?
Love the side table you picked,

o

Wow lots of great ideas! You guys are awesome. Let me try to respond but I'm still working on the iPad which makes it more challenging.

Grandma - when I get my computer back, I'll try swapping them "virtually". (This new stuff is heavy!) One thing I do like now is how it opens up the entrance to the room vs our old furniture which stuck out more so fear I'll lose that if I rearrange.

MTN - while I like the Kilim ottomans you linked, I just see it as a big magnet for all the dog hair since what I'm envisioning is somewhat textured, no?

May- see I'm bringing color into the room!!! It's all about the accessories ;) I'm going to do a new post with the direction I'm thinking....

Joanie and Tibbrex- I hear ya and have been going back and forth on that. In addition to the dark sofas I also have a black fireplace surround and dark wood tv stand.

Beverly - I always appreciate your input and push out of my comfort zone when I keep going back to safe. Stay tuned for more fabric options.......(but I want to also mention that I am also tossing around drapery panels in a pattern so somewhere, somehow I'll add more interest! I don't want to pick something that paints me into a huge corner. The plot thickens....I can't seem to come up with anything entirely cohesive)

Artillery- that photo was taken literally 1 minute after the delivery men left and I was leaving for work. I just tossed it up there, but haven't put it back there since. Our throws are typically on the side (with a dog on top). That ottoman is beautiful, I hate to sound like a broken record......but the tufts will be a little trap for the fur! I'm trying to decorate this room to be lived in, but as easy to care for as possible. Boy do I love your old room though. If I recall I remember you linking to your listing and being in love with all your decor!

My3dogs.... You can turn a coffee table into an ottoman! If you think I can you give me far too much credit. I'm hoping that if I hang out here long enough some of all the DIY talent on this forum will rub off. Right now I'm much better at just writing a check.

Nosoccormom- thanks for the reality check, while that monochromatic room is nicely done I'm sure, I was much more drown to the link below it to the bright room. I do like a bit of color.

Jeannie - color is coming in somewhere....I just need to figure where!

I got the Sunbrella books from the furniture store and have been looking through them. So next ill show a few that I like....

o

Agree. This one? You could bring in the gold, and some of the blue and red from the art work.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:22

o

That's the one, I just love that orange! Although I may have skipped it on the fireplace surround. I actually have another piece of art and a throw in the room with a very similar color.

Since I havent included yet, Here is a pic for the other side of the room, the chair would go to the left of the fireplace. Like I mentioned earlier, there are also dark things on that side too

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:32

o

And now the fun stuff, I'll apologize now for all the separate posts but I'm not going to fight with photobucket again!

Here is an idea, chair in a beige (I know, boring)....but the ottoman in an accent of some sort, either color or pattern or both with coordinating window panels and fun pillows for the chair, sofa and loveseat. So the accent would be scattered about the room and won't look just plopped in.

Here is the first fabric in an orange herringbone (they call it persimmon)

o

Go to Calico Corners! They have that Suzani pattern in the picture at 17:22 (NoSoccer, I love lover that room). You could get that on an ottoman.

Oh and I don't think a flat surface that the dog doesn't sit on could attract hair, but no matter ... the point is simply a colorful pattern.

Oh and, yes, I meant you cannot make a coffee table an ottoman in 3 minutes.

o

I wouldn't have thought so either, but the sofa that was in there before was more textured, almost a tweed and every time they brushed against it they'd leave a bit of themselves behind! And I think the ottoman will be brushed against very frequently!

I haven't been to calico corners yet, but have looked online for ideas for window treatments. Once I pick a direction I'll venture in. Isn't that room great? I wish I had the knack for layering patterns like that.

o

Another orangy option

o

More of a rusty orange

o

And a stripe with blue (the book I have doesn't have the Voyage Stream but I'm definitely going to request a sample)

o

For something different, here is more of a bold pattern, I'm not sure how it shows in the pic but it has quite a bit of blue

o

Woah, love that orange (the brighter shade because the rust isn't enough contrast imo)! Show us the alternative art work.

I'd go for the "boring" chair and then have fun with the ottoman and accessories. (BTW, agree with that orange fireplace surround; also am not crazy about the sides of the sofas, even though that's a main design element).

And then there's this comment:

"As an educated interior designer, these rooms are completely nonsensical, ADD, chaos. The livingroom in particular pays no attention to balance in color, texture & proportions. Your eye is caught up in analyzing the furniture & the floor plane instead of being drawn & bounced around the room."

o

A zig zag pattern similar to what Beverly suggested

o

Ok I'll stop for know, thoughts on any colors, patterns? Requests for other options?

o

Here is the art that's in the room, it isn't large enough to hang over the sofa. Currently it is in the niche above the fireplace (that's a whole other project)

o

And here is the throw so you can see how the leather works with that color

o

I like the pattern at 18:31, which is sort of Suzani. However, I don't think id use another "round" pattern, since your rug pattern is roundish.

I don't care for the zigzag, to me that looks old fashioned. I know chevron is in, but something about that particular fabric just looks frumpy, IMHand biasedO.

o

I also love that pattern but am not sure I can picture it as a large part of the room, but I've already admitted my phobia for mixing large graphic prints. It's funny because I see it in decorated rooms, such as the one above and thinks it looks nice, but can't figure out why....haha. But maybe on pillows or even window treatments.

Here is the orange version of the same

o

I don't know how to post photos, but you might want to check out the Monet Water Universal 36 Round Ottoman.

o

Kellie, I like it, but im on an ethnic kick, so ...

Also I find it easier to mix patterns if they are not both curvilinear...

This is kind of out there, but what about the Dash and Albert Zanzibar? I have it in a throw rug that was on a brick floor in our lakehouse.

o

What about bringing in the orange and magenta both in the stripe for the chair and the ottoman, and then using the fabric as a faux shade under burlap drapes from Restoration Hardware, or even bringing in a striped Orange and Magenta fabric for your drapes??

o

To further the concept a bit more, the striped fabric brings in the brown from the sofa and loveseat and adds the orange and magenta without being garish. I'll bet that Rowe would be willing to upholster the ottoman as I have diagrammed with diagonal seams across the top. That adds an additional pattern that could also be used on 2 throw pillows. Then add a few magenta pillows, along with the textured drapes and faux striped shades and you're done.

o

Got my computer back!!! So this means floor layouts and OB's are back as well. As suggested above, here is the layout with sofa and loveseat swapped.
 photo Familyroom2_zps8c97420b.jpg

Initial thought, I feel like it makes the room appear smaller. Yes, the sofa is in front of the fireplace but it really closes off the entrance to an already small room and makes the furniture look bunched. Plus I would be back to the drawing board on the ottoman as a square wouldn't be the best option. I could find either a rectangular or do 2 ottomans side by side. I really like the Griffin Ottoman that I originally posted because it is tall so the dogs could lay under it, less fabric on the sides to trap the dog hair. I would need to get a sofa table because otherwise that gap just wouldn't look right.

Thoughts, opinions? Am I just being stubborn by ruling it out without at least trying it?

o

Mtn - I am strongly leaning towards a stripe as well because it makes me feel like I have pattern and color but doesn't clash with the carpet. I really love that D&A rug with the pretty colors. The size would work if I went with the scenario above. How do you feel about the turned legs with the simpler legs of the sofa and proposed chair? How do I convince my husband that the pink on the rug isn't actually pink? I have a feeling he will think it looks too feminine, but there is a store quite close that sells D&A so perhaps I can check it out.

Beverly - if I do go the square route, I love the idea of using that pattern. I wonder if Rowe would do that, they are pretty budget priced so I don't know how willing they are to customize. That isn't my favorite fabric option, I'm drawn more to the "persimmon" oranges, but it would work with any stripe, even that one that it more textural then a true stripe. Let me play with some OBs

o

Hi Kellie,
I wouldn't worry about the turned legs, think they will go fine. As for the Zanzibar pattern, well, yes, it does have some pink. I'm not so sure if it wouldnt' look too summery paired with your leather sofa, though. Maybe you could bring home the small rug if you like it; its bath mat sized!

I really like the direction Beverly is giving you, with the stripes. Again I would probably not mix in a curvilinear pattern with a curvilinear patterned rug, especially of similar scale.

o

I tossed this together quickly so this is far from a nicely put together OB, but here is how it would look with the D&A ottoman and a "beige" chair. Obviously I'll be needing tod in more elements, but here are the basic.

o

I think it is too pale, too summery, do you? Of course lighting plays a role here so it's hard to know.

I don't think the dog likes it!

LOL

o

I can pick up a swatch tomorow hopefully to see how it looks in the actual room with the lighting there.

mtn - do you have thoughts on layout posted above?

o

I think either layout is fine, but it may make more sense to have the larger sofa face the TV, if you use the TV a lot.

BTW my dogs loves sleeping under the ottoman!

o

Kellienoelle, I like the rendition where you have the sitting area centered on the fireplace. Agree with larger sofa being in front of the fireplace. Also with a sofa table being behind the smaller sofa. It'll look nice with nice knickknacks, maybe a lamp, on it.

People get concerned about walking space. Personally, I don't. These rooms are meant for sitting, lounging, conversation, so I would gear it toward that. Not a big deal if one has to take two steps to the left to walk into the sitting area. I think that setup is lovely and inviting.

o

Your open kitchen/family room isn't a dramatic space, so you could go too far with dramatic colors and prints.

I like the blue and orange print. That dark blue looks similar to some of the blue fabrics you sampled. I like the softer oranges like the persimmon herrigbone. I remember KevinMP who had the historic Phillly house used a similar fabric on a chair in his dining room. He had blue walls too.

o

I tried to find that fabric but he has many threads about his LR. He didn't end up with that fabric on his chair but with a coral and blue that has a subtle effect. Thought I'd link to his final thread so you can see his color scheme. Similar to your Monet fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: KevinMP

This post was edited by may_flowers on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 11:05

o

Kellie, where you liked the orange accents above, is the D&A Montana Stripe Ottoman an option at all, or too 'loud' for you? I linked it below.

I'm having quite a time finding a fabric for my ottoman that will blends with my leather sofa and the Karastan rug I have in my LR.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montana Stripe Turned Leg Rug Ottoman

This post was edited by my3dogs on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 14:37

o

Thanks for the link, I have always loved Kevin's rooms and decor. His house has so much more charm than mine does. In an effort to add a bit of charm, a long term plan is to add crown molding into that family room addition to match the rest of the lower level. But all in due time since funds aren't unlimited.

Talked to my husband about floorplan, showed him the other with the sofa across from the fireplace. On paper he prefers it to be more open, but I'll see if I can get him to do a little swap just to see. Showed him the D&A Ottoman and got a very emphatic no on the pink. He actually doesn't care for any of the patterns. The most I could talk him into was a subtle (not bold) more tone on tone narrow stripe. He is OK with the orange/persimmon/tangerine tones. We decided that we should probably stick with the Sunbrella fabrics simply from a care standpoint. I am planning to add a pattern on the windows, maybe a stripe, so hopefully can find a balance between boring and over the top.

I have requested swatches of the following (these are the stock photos). Still thinking the accent color on the ottoman with a neutral on the chair and coordinating pillows.

So for chair something like:
Voyage Sparrow
 photo VoyageSparrow_zps6f873533-1.jpg

Dupioni Sand
 photo image_zps9655611f.jpg
Bisbee Fiesta
 photo bisbeefiesta_zps43a1740c.jpg
And a darker one that may be too dark but I love the print
 photo Nilecocoa_zps9675fe92.jpg

And ottoman:
Marcello Sunset
 photo MarcelloSunset_zps1b157ec9.jpg

Heritage Pumpkin
 photo Heritagepumpkin_zps59908eb5.jpg

Or Dupioni Nectarine
 photo dupionenectarine_zpsd27ff712.jpg

o

Stopped in a cute little local store and they have this chair on their floor. It's very comfortable and a fun color. What do you think? I would have to measure for size as I think it is slightly larger than the Rowe I was originally planning. I have a close up of the furniture too to follow

o

I like it!

o

Here is a close up of the fabric

o

I stopped to pick up the Dash and Albert fabric. I love the colors in it. It's probably a little more muted than it appears in the photo, I have noticed that my iphone makes everything much more vibrant than it looks to the naked eye.

o

I love Dash and Albert rugs, but I don't think that fabric works at all in your LR. It doesn't have the same, or right…what's the word? genre? drawing a blank here…but it looks like something that might be in a baby's room.

Your sofas are very nice leather, giving the room and aura, and look, of sophistication and warmth. How about a tweed for the chair?

o

Tweed

o

I like tweed, but worry about the texture trapping the dog hair. Same with the rug too actually. The dogs are 100% of the reason we went with leather, so I need to make similar wise choices in the other items (taking most fabrics with a texture out of the running). Sigh. I'll never make a decision. I am more and more thinking to just go neutral and add in a punch with accents.

However, I love the colors of this rug so much I am trying to figure out where else in the house I can use it. But my husband still says no to the pink so I think it'll be a no go.

o

I love the zig zag pattern at 18:40. I would love to have a pair of chairs in that pattern!

o

Any fabric chair is going to have dog hair stick to it. They they actually get up on the chair or just rub against it? Best way to get dog hair out of any fabric is to just put on a latex dishwashing glove and wipe it off. Comes right up.

Yes, Dash and Albert rugs are great. If I had a house on a beach, it'd be full of D&A rugs!

o

Some fabrics are worse then others.I don't mind cleaning up the hair as I understand that it is just part of dog ownership. I have two shelties and they have that fuzzy undercoat that gets trapped into the fibers of any textured fabrics (the tweedish fabric that we had in this room recently) but just wipes off of any that are more smooth (the microfiber couch I had at my last house, the smooth pillows we currently have). They both lay on the furniture and rub against it. I was actually probably most annoyed by the areas where they could rub against, makes it wear quite quickly. I know it seems silly to make so many decisions based on the dogs, but I'm all about simplicity and have gotten tired of fighting fabrics that just aren't the right choice!

o

Hi Kellie,
have you looked at Crypton fabrics? they've been used in nursing homes, perfect for dog-households too... indestructible. Now available to home owners. They dont have a lot of options, but it might be worth a look. A solid color would work for your chair considering your dogs might like laying in that sunny cozy spot. You wouldnt have any worries. Do you like a bit of whimsey? Here's an idea for your ottoman

Here is a link that might be useful: crypton fabric

o

Hi Massagerocks,

I haven't looked at crypton, but was looking at Sunbrella. I'll have to investigate the differences. Anything that is indestructible definitely peaks my interest. And I love whimsey and love that dog fabric. Seems appropriate in a house of three dog!

Well I just got the orange chair for the following reasons.....it's made and I don't have to overthink it anymore, it was at a pretty large discount at a local store that I like shopping at (and supporting), it is super super comfortable, and I love the color and fabric. The color really does bring some life to the earth tone room. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but I really like it! So far two dogs have checked it out.

Now I feel like I can safely select paint color.

o

Wow, I like that chair a lot! Great color and can't beat comfortable!

o

What a find Kellie! Looks great!

o

Here is the look with more of the room (FYI - that large plant lives outside when it isn't freezing outside!). I also got a couple of pillow that have blue, orange, brown birds on them, but they are in my husbands car so i'll post a new pic when they arrive. Not sure about them, but we'll see.

o

I like it too. It's just enough color.

o

You said ..."sofa and loveseat are new, we'd like to keep the rug, everything else is open for replacement..."

That said, I'd love the beautiful puppy! LOL He would go so well with my Hershey's Chocolate-colored Harry Dog!

I couldn't help myself; I had to add this even though I'm a lurker. Your dog is beautiful!

o

Just want to throw out another viewpoint albeit I'm sure an unpopular one....You've noted the "cozy" size of the room, although I love your sofa, chair and carpet, I'm not a fan of too many elements-pattern in a room, especially a small one, as I think the end result can be visual clutter and a feeling of unrest. I like the ivory for the chair or even possibly the tweed although I hear it doesn't meet your needs, but I would use the same fabric of the chair - like the ivory - on the ottoman to calm things down and provide a pleasing backdrop for the layer of colorful accessories you plan to add. I suspect with the oddment fabric on the ottoman, it will look like an after thought and just too, too much.

o

I liked Kellionellie's neutral plan. Sure, it looks a little summery. No, it looks bland. It needs an orange throw and a huge orange pot for the fall affair, some great greens for the Christmas time, and you can use a great beach glass color for spring and some marigold colors for late summer. I would leave it neutral and put all the colors in art and throws, etc.

I did orange, brown and turquoise early marriage and I grew very tired of the orange. I would move the orange chair to the bedroom and then bring it back. I loved the chair, but the color is very intense and I just could not take it all the time. My mother warned me!!!

Small room . . . the sofas are going to consume a lot of your volume and volume can make the room look cluttered with too many colors. JMHO.

o
Kellieonellie, just a thought!

Just throwing this out here. If you choose to remain with a neutral pallet, keeping in mind the great colors of your sheltie, you could take a piece of the beautiful fabric you like and stretch it over framed canvas, pull it tight, staple it and make your own art work as tall or as short as you like or a composition of same.

o

Your orange chair is wonderful! I like the way it picks up the color of the print on the right over the fireplace.

o

Oh my goodness Kellie, your room is gorgeous! The chair is such a perfect fit!

o

Somehow I missed the orange chair purchase - think I had opened up my reply before you posted, but went back and finished after you did!! I love the color of the chair and how it looks in the room - especially since it doesn't introduce another pattern and the warm color can be a unifying one for accessories.

o

Thanks guys, I really like the chair. I honestly just don't have the eye to layer pattern. Some advise offered earlier about fact that it would just look too busy rings true to me and what I was fighting. But I think the color gives it just enough pop to spare it from being boring, and it is a nice warm color I am comfortable with bringing in throughout the room with accents and blends well with other areas of the house visible from that room. We relocated the plant and pushed the chair back into the corner. Placed the pillows that we purchased that I am not certain about. And oddly enough, I now can like my old coffee table more because the color works with the new furniture.

So I am now going to move on to phase 3. Paint color for the room, I don't like the current color (raffia cream) but have the darker color on the strip (gobi desert) in the other main rooms and like it a bit more. Not sure if we should just go with that or look for something else. Find some pillows, throws, and accent pieces.

The ottoman and curtains will be phase 4 or so! I need to take a break from all of the choices!
I'll get there eventually!

o

Caroline - my three lovely dogs thank you for your comment. They are all quite sure that you were referring to them specifically!

I keep thinking that one day I can ensure that I wont be in a situation to have to consider pet hair in furniture purchased, but that just doesn't sound as much fun as having the company of my three little guys (or the dogs I know will follow).

o

Kellie, I have been boarding with collies/shelties and Persians for years. It is more fun to live with them than clean behind them but their company makes all the hair/dust worthwhile (I think).

o

Love the new chair, the scale is just right! I was worried you'd get a huge club chair in that that would crowd everything. Now....,I would absolutely put the sofa facing the television. The way it is arranged now looks wrong ...you have a large sofa anchoring a wall that doesn't need it. The tv wall needs the balance of the larger sofa, and I would float out the love seat from the wall I (where the sofa is now) at least a few inches.

This project is coming along so nicely!

o

I think the sofa is already facing the television.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here