Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

help with matting & framing

dody40
11 years ago

My son's fianace sent me this photo on canvas. It is so beautifully done of my DH, my son and me. My son lives in California and I live in New York. I had not seen him for 2 years, so you can imagine the emotions I was feeling and Soo caught them all.

I want to have it matted and framed. I would like a dark color for the frame. Would you give me some advice, both on the frame and the mat. The picture is 24" by 30".

Comments (13)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

If I were dong that project, I would take it down to my local - non-chain - framing place.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I agree w/LuAnn, you want it to be done properly. Aaron Brothers regularly has sales on their framing. They're very savvy with helping you choose a mat/frame that are complimentary to whatever it is being framed.

Here is a link that might be useful: current ad

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Since it's on canvas I wouldn't put it under glass but have it stretched and attached to a frame that would look good in your home. If you're good with a stapler, you can buy a frame to the size of the actual print and not the white part and staple it in your self. There are directions on line how to do it. We do it often. Or you can get a frame three inches smaller than the print and wrap it around the back of it and you'll have a professional box frame. They're very attractive.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

At our local Jo-Ann's they have a guy who is really good at framing and matting and has done an excellent job for us at reasonable...or relatively so...prices. So it all depends on who is working at your local chain as to whether they are good or not.

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

I agree with yayagal. If it's on canvas I would not matt and frame it but have it stretched on canvas and put on a frame (no glass). Either way, though, you cannot go wrong taking it to a place like Aaron Brothers and getting their professional advice. I know there are some President's Day Sales this weekend. It's worth a look. Lovely photo!

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

I love the picture! What a thoughtful future daughter in law you have! I think you need to have it done by a pro. I have had framing done at big chain places and had good luck. My last frame was done by someone who just does framing and it was about the same price. My point is that you don't save a lot of money at hobby lobby types of stores with questionable training.

• dody40
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help. I am so ignorant. I never thought about not having it put in under glass. That was not my intent anyway. Having it stretched sounds like the way to go. I am so glad for the advice because now I will not look like a ignoramus when I take it in. (I had to look up the word 'ignoramus' to check the spelling. haha)

dody

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I agree with the above posters who advised to have it stretched by a professional and use a simple frame of your choosing. Would just like to add, for cleaning, use an inexpensive paint brush now and then and lightly brush the dust off the canvas. I keep a couple of these around the house I don't use for anything else. Also keep a small one in the car for touch-ups in those hard-to-reach spots.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Whatever you do, have a professional do it. It's worthy of the respect and attention it will be given.

• dody40
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went yesterday to our nearest city and checked with the camera shops and Joann's. Nobody in our city does the stretching of canvas. Found out that AC Moore in Saratoga does it. (Joann's in Albany also does it, but I don't want to drive there) Talked with the framer on the phone and I will take it there soon. I will see if the framer is there today, Saturday, if so will go today.

Outsideplaying recommends a simple frame and I agree. How wide do you think the frame should be. I want a dark frame, do you think black would be alright, that would tie in with the other frames on the wall.
    Also, thanks Outsideplaying for the advice on how to care for it.
    dody.

This post was edited by dody40 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 7:52

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Will the framer do a stretch and wrap frame? A canvas really should not have glass over it. Here's a link that shows how to do it yourself. It's really quite simple, I do them often. If you do frame it, I think the black or very dark wood will work just fine. Keep it simple.

• dody40
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got back from ordering the job. They are stretching it on a frame. I have ordered a 3inch smooth dark custom frame for it. (Maybe it was 2 1/2) I will have it March 8. It was expensive, but I don't spend much money on anything except groceries, so I did not mind splurging on this. The photo means so much to me. How Soo captured the love in our expressions is priceless.

Thank you for all of your help. Will post a picture when it comes back.

dody

This post was edited by dody40 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:17

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

What a wonderful photo--filled with so much feeling--and what a thoughtful gift.

Your DS's fiancé is definitely a keeper.

Dee