Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decordummy_gw

calling Palimpest please

decordummy_gw
12 years ago

Awhile ago someone posted a link to a site where you could create designs with tile and then change the grout colours. I thought maybe it was your post? If so could you please post it again? Many thanks.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0211384723037.html?16273

Comments (15)

• decordummy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This poster would like to see that site too

Here is a link that might be useful: please see the reponse from OP thanks

• decordummy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Palimpsest please forgive the spelling error.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

This sounds familiar, but I can't remember if it was me who posted it or not. I will have to look in my bookmarks.

• decordummy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much Palimpsest.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I have figured out it was me, and I can visualize playing with the tile colors, now all I have to do is remember the site :(

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

At American Universal you can create tile patterns with Octogon and Dot but I don't think this is the one you mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Universal

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm not sure about the original link either, but since the other thread you referenced was about grout color, here are some tools all allow you to play with different grout colors, after choosing color blends of tiles, so maybe these will help. The first two are tile companies that sell custom blends of glass tiles:

Susan Jablon Custom Mosaic Blend Designer

Hakatai Custom Blend Tool, and Custom Gradient Tool

These last two are companies that cater to mosaic artists:

Mosaic Mercantile Grouterizer

The Joy of Shards Grout Color Simulator

If you play with any of these, you start to get a feel for how much the grout color affects the end result. I sometimes play with mosaics, and it's really amazing how choosing the right (or wrong) grout color can make or break a piece. (Actually for me it can be slightly terrifying at times.) I often do test boards on a scrap of wood to really get a feel for the end result, too, and that helps.

• decordummy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Palimpsest and Mudhouse. The one that I was thinking of was Hakatatai (but very glad to have the additional sites as well). It really helped me to understand how the grout colour affects the overall look, I'm hoping it may help Martinca too.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    12 years ago

Yes! Thank you pal, and mud ( vaudeville team?,) ...and deco. You are all great to so generously offer this help! Marti ( op from orig. thread)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I forgot about Hakatai, because it is glass and I was picturing ceramic. Thanks for reminding me it has this tool.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

No problem! I love the Hakatai website. For those who haven't spent time wandering around there, they have some stunning tile installation pictures in their photo gallery too...wonderful things.
    Hakatai photo gallery of murals and installations

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

OH Thanks for all these links. Bookmarked this thread.

I agree mudhouse. It can be terrifying to choose the wrong color grout. Also smearing grout=cement all over your work and hoping you get it off soon enough but not too soon.

I just did our kitchen back splash. Took me a couple of weeks to work up the nerve for the grout. Pictures not for the faint heart. LOL I have a different way of decorating. WAY different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures 145 to 157 And some of that grout smearing going on.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Idaho, nice work! I would love to do something creative in my kitchen too, but no plan in place yet. The only thing I've done inside the house so far is a small border in a bathroom. Working on real house walls is still scary. You're brave.

On my last project I worked with a much drier/stiffer grout mix, which kept my messiness tamped down, and I find I can grout smaller areas at a time with less stress about the timing as you mentioned. DH wisely keeps a wide berth when I'm grouting.

You've obviously mastered glass cutting, too. I'm still a low-level tile cruncher. Here's a potting bench counter we built for my greenhouse a few years ago. The thing in the middle with round holes is a painted metal grill I can remove to sweep dirt into a bin below. This was just terra cotta colored grout (dirt colored, duh) so not too stressful.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

mudhouse that is great. Love the removable grill idea.What is your silver wall behind the sink?

Yes doing it on walls can be scary. I got over that. This is our forever house and could care less about resale. When we are gone it all goes to an animal sanctuary. So for once in my life I am going to play. I grouted the glass panels I made before adding them to the walls. I still had to go over all the joins so it smeared more then I really had planned on. It was fairly easy wiping down the panels it was the joins that was tricky. I am glad I did it.

As far as cutting glass I can do a little of it. But what I did here was hit and miss because nothing had to be very accurate. Grab yourself a cutter and just go for it. Do not push too hard and keep the cutting wheel oiled a bit.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

The silver wall is foil-faced insulation for the cold north wall of the little greenhouse. The silver curtain stuff to the left is woven aluminum shadecloth. I was disappointed that my greenhouse looked like the Starship Enterprise with the materials required for practical purposes, so was glad to add some funky warmth with the tile colors.

Thanks, I had wondered about doing panels for a backsplash (that way, if someone wanted to change them, they could remove the panels without destroying all the work, too.) If/when I have a forever house, I'll be dangerous. Thanks for the encouragement on glass cutting.