Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

WHY do swing arm lamps always show cord?

pirula
11 years ago

Hi all,

I've been shopping for a long time now for swing arm sconces for either side of a window seat in our eventual basement/library....

After six years, we are finally to the point of having to actually get them (yay!) but why is that I cannot find swing arm lights that don't have the cord cover running down the wall? Scones, no problem. But if they're swing arm, forget it. there's a visible cord running down covered by a very pretty (but still unwanted) matching metal cover.

As these will be used for reading, it's important they be swing arm. Am I going to just have to suck it up and live with the visible metal covered cord? Or do I just stink at searching? Perhaps there's even an electrical code for this that I am not aware of....

Here's what I want, sans the cord running down.....

Thanks so much.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing arm wall light of my dreams

Comments (25)

• User
    11 years ago

You must have missed it in the copy, but the one shown in your link says it has a convertible wiring option--i.e., can be hardwired...meaning no cord.

This post was edited by chijim on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 12:58

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Those do say convertible wiring, so you can hardwire them.

I think those are Visual Comfort. We have a different set in the bedroom and they came with what was necessary to directly install them.

The pivot, however doesn't work as well as it looks in the picture.

Dee

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I THINK what you are looking for is a hard wired swing arm wall lamp. Google them as they exist.

You want a wall mounted lamp that is like a bathroom sconce, where the wire that powers it doesn't show. Any electrician ought to be able to covert a plug-in swing arm lamp to hard wired. Why don't you show one your dream fixture and ask if he/she can do it, if you don't find the style you want already hard-wired?

The cost will depend on how far a wire needs to be fished through the wall, unless you're in the building stage, and electrical boxes are exposed.

Those cord covers can be painted or wallpapered to match the finish in you room, if the cost of having an electrician is more than you want to pay..

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really? I must be blind! Thank you!

Hmmm, thanks deeinohio. that's good to know......

the one I really really want is this one. Going to pull out the "data sheet" and see if it's convertible too.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston swing arm

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we cross posted my3dogs. thanks to you too. the electrician will be the gc, also known as my husband. I'm just trying to spare him this trouble if I can......

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

If you can't hard-wire it, or don't want the expense, you can buy paintable cord covers and paint them to match your wall.

You can also have a lamp shop or your electrician replace the cord and plug with either a gold or silver translucent cord, whichever disappears better on your walls or trim, so that the part that extends out the bottom is less visible.

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you bronwynsmom. It looks like we' re going with the convertible option. but I'll remember your advice just in case.

• J M
    11 years ago

Here's another option, with available customization of shade and finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Reed sconce

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's lovely too. Thank you.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure any plug-in item can be hardwired.. isn't it just a matter of chopping off the plug, exposing the wires in the cord and doing so?

Disclaimer: Kids, don't try this at home (ie, without a qualified electrician)

• radaar
    11 years ago

What my DH did was drop the cord thru a small hole he made in the drywall which was later covered up by the backplate of the lamp when hung up.
    Then he made a hole beside the plug receptacle which was lower down the wall below the lamp then fished out the cord and plugged it in. That hole in the drywall obviously needed to be patched though.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'd think about a similar sconce from Hudson Valley.

It's available in different finishes.

I have a shorter version of this, as well as a houseful of Visual Comfort lighting. And I will tell you, I would never buy anything from Visual Comfort again in my life. Some of the fixtures are horrors to install and don't even appear designed by someone with electrical knowledge (as in you have to shave off all the bolts on the back before the plate will fit on the wall). The paper shades (which your fave thankfully doesn't have) are total junk, but importantly it has taken me two full years to try to get them all replaced with shades that don't fail immediately. When the artistes are too busy to deal with you, they just don't answer the phone. I had an order on backorder for months, and then they simply self-canceled it. Horrible.

The other things to note is that these styles of Visual Comfort lights do not have pin switches. So you can't reach up and switch off the light--you have to get up and walk to the wall switch. I didn't know that before I had two installed by my bed, although I couldn't know because they're designed with fake pinswitches as decorative elements.

ETA: Stick with TWO joints, not one, like your original pic. Otherwise you won't get the range of motion you need for comfortable reading.

This post was edited by marcolo on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 22:59

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

A side question for the forum -- Is there a shiny silver cord cover if one want to install a swing arm sconce in front of a mirror?

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo, that's lovely and I will check it out.

Thanks for the tip on visual comfort. I'm wondering about the switch since it specifically cites that the switch is high/low. I'd prefer a dimmer, but......it sure sounds like that switch is functional. Are we sure this is the same light, because that is a total deal breaker for me. There's no way in hell I'm willing to have to go flip a switch to turn these library lights on.

Thanks for the tip on double joint vs. sing. I wasn't sure, and wondered if I should save a buck by getting single. Will absolutely get double now

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Some of their models do have pin switches--I would call and get 100% confirmation first.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I agree with Marcolo on visual comfort. My lights were back ordered and they did not even call or email me. I realized that the lights had not arrived and called them and they had some lame excuse like we were not sure about your zip code..

I have the Boston swing arm and it is not as adjustable as I would like. I have the double jointed one but it is kind of tight and hard to adjust.

If you are truly looking for a great reading light in bed, I would highly recommend a LED that is Dimmable. It does not get warm and the light throw can be very tight allowing your SO to sleep without the glare of the light. I love the Holtkotter Bernie because the light is just fabulous. My DD's reading nook has it. But for our bedside, I got the Night owl light by lightology. It is 3watts I think. The feedback was that the gooseneck on this is high quality and does not get floppy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Night owl.

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay well, you guys put the fear of God into me about Visual Comfort, I thank you for the honest appraisals.

So, I just ordered this from Schoolhouse Electric. It doesn't have the cone shaped shade I thought I was married to, but I'm fine with it. The price is great too. I called to confirm the switch operates the light. It's not high/low, but c'est la guerre.

The night owl is really cool and I'll remember it. But it's too modern for what I was thinking....

Thank you again to all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Library sconce of my reality

• pps7
    11 years ago

"What my DH did was drop the cord thru a small hole he made in the drywall which was later covered up by the backplate of the lamp when hung up.
    Then he made a hole beside the plug receptacle which was lower down the wall below the lamp then fished out the cord and plugged it in. That hole in the drywall obviously needed to be patched though."

Radaar, I don't think this is to code. I'm no expert so I would check with a professional.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Pirula, I have exactly that Circa lamp above my sink - there was no light there, and I have an old chimney breast to the right of the window over the sink, so I could mount it on the side to extend over the sink.

I also had to very carefully cut the round metal cord cover with a pipe cutter to make it fit , and then I had to run the cord around the top of the backsplash to get to the outlet - not ideal, but I don't notice it any more, and the lamp is perfect.

I love how it looks, but for a bedside or reading chair, Marcolo is exactly right - you need two joints. They make that lamp with two joints and a longer arm, I think.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Pirula, it looks from your link that there is a cone shaped shade available for the one you ordered. You did notice that it says the shade is not included, didn't you?

Anyway, I like your choice and look forward to seeing it in place!!

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh that's so funny, I did NOT notice the cone shade. But I rather like the one in the picture. In fact, the more I thought about it, I liked it better. Yes thank you, I did order the shades separately.

Bronwynsmom, thanks, I took marcolo's advice and got two joints.

Customer service at Schoolhouse, btw, was delightful.

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All,

you were so helpful I wanted to post a follow up. Here are the Schoolhouse Electric library lights installed. I absolutely love them, and I am very very pleased.

bronwynsmom: this will serve as a sneak peak to the F&B "Drab" I thought you might not like in another discussion. As you can see, there is plenty of yellow in it.

Anyway, thank you again everyone for your help on this.

Need to get a window seat cushion made. Ordered some Lauren Leiss samples today (LOVE her textiles). And have been scanning etsy for pillows galore as well....

Slowly but surely. Hope to post finished basement library/guest bath/guest bedroom pictures in the next few months....

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Pirula,

I love the schoolhouse electric light. I love Drab even more! Do you have a larger photo of the room?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Great lamps, pirula, and I love the drab.
    Right on both counts!
    Well done.

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

I'm so glad you both like the Drab, it is really a great color. Different for sure I suppose, but beautiful.

GWlolo I hope to post pics once it's done. But will try to take a few in progress pics for you this weekend. It's quite the mess as you may well imagine.....