Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

My White Slipcover review....

ttodd
11 years ago

So I have lived w/ my Ektorp sectional & white slipcovers since soccer season ended or something. Not sure how long it's been but it's at least been a fair amount of months to work w/ the white slipcovers and give my opinion.

Background: 3 kids under 9, medium haired dog and hubs who comes home from work w/ sort of dirty clothes.

As much as I love white furniture and was willing to put the extra effort into owning slipcovers it really became a total pain in the arse. I have white slips and the tan slips that came on the sofa. Don't mind the tan at all since they hide the everyday grunge but they aren't the ones that achieved the look that I wanted. The white ones however would show subtle dirtiness by the end of the day. Granted w/ the Ektorp slipcovers general dirt just brushed right off.

The more I took the slips on and off for washing the easier it became to get them back on & I really worked out a system, but it was still a pain to have to do it as often as I needed to keep them as white as I required. I read on some blog some lady who washed hers every Tuesday and how it was easy peasy lemon squeezey as my son would say. All of her kids joined in and they lived happily everafter. Not in my house. My kids would run away and hide once they saw me start to undo the first slip cover! It would take at least 3 - 4 seperate loads to wash them properly. Then 3 - 4 rounds in the drier. I'd finally be putting the slips back on by the time DH was arriving home from work. This also meant dinner wasn't even started.

Well, I still love the look of a white sofa so I came up w/ an alternative that I hope helps somebody.

I've taken to wrapping the seat cushions in twin white matelasse' quilts. I leave enough to drape over the arms. I have no problem washing the back cushion slipcovers once a month. When company comes over I whip the coverlets off and they can't believe how I can keep a white sofa w/ my loon of a family. Personally I like the look better w/ the quilts - more casual & I use 2 different patterns in white. I also found a white quilted throw that I put on for the dog. The smaller size is just easier to wash weekly w/ other laundry.

So that's my review, my solution and I couldn't be happier! Best of both worlds and I don't feel as though I've sacrificed anything.

Comments (44)

• vall622
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the tip. I have the ektorp sofa. My kids are older but my dog gets it so dirty that I leave the cushions uo so she can't go on it. But it looks a disaster. I'm going to try your idea. Do you happen to have pictures?

Val

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Sounds like a great idea - any pictures??

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I sort of do the same with my maroon/gold sofa. My white dog sheds all year and it drives me nuts. Since we live in the country people don't just stop by out of the blue unless they're neighbors. So I keep a folded twin maroon & cream checkered sheet on the lower cushions and when I do know company is coming, I quickly take it off. Sofa still looks brand new!

I also keep a dust mop for the wood floors behind the front door, but that's another topic. lol

• User
    11 years ago

I am so glad to read this. I have the ektorp with white slipcovers at my beach house and it has worked out okay since we're only there part time. But I will be moving there permanently this summer and I've really been wondering if I should get darker slipcovers. But I really like how the white looks! I have another white sofa there that I have actually laid a pretty tablecloth across the back section and down onto the seats, but didn't want to do this for this other one. Will def. try the bedspreads. Would love to see pics too.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

You can also use these and I've seen them sold in all colors and all fabrics. My daughter has them in olive green for protection and cleanliness as she has four cats who shed.

Here is a link that might be useful: sofa protectors

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

So glad you've found something that works for you. But I don't get covering slipcovers. Or having covers that you hide when guests arrive. Get rid of the white or else teach the kids and hub how to keep the white clean. And don't let the dog jump on the furniture.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rosestink! I'm glad that it works for me too because if I didn't have slipcovers I'd be left w/ foam & who wants a sofa w/ bare foam cushions right? I do not live in a test tube. My dog was relegated to the floor for too many yrs when we had a sofa whose upholstery could not be washed. Your comment about teaching my family how to behave was well beyond inappropriate. Feel free to keep your unfounded comments about how you think my family should behave to yourself.

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 21:57

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Okay. I was wondering about covering slipcovers with other covers. Not about covering foam with slipcovers. Whatever. I don't accept that furniture has to be bullet proof. People and pets can be taught to respect furniture. If you don't choose to do that.... okay.

• User
    11 years ago

White cotton slipcovers get dirty quickly just from everyday normal use. I don't think FP's kids and husband are rolling around in mud then sitting on the sofa. I try to teach my dog not to get on my white sofa and he is good about it during the day, but each night he sneaks up onto it -- I have given up!

• User
    11 years ago

Unless you have had a white sofa yourself, rosesstink, you probably don't realize just how quickly and easily they show dirt.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My family and pets do know how to respect furniture, thank you very much. My pets never came up on the unwashable sofa. Ever. My pets come up onto the sofa now because I've invited them to do so and purposefully selected a sofa where they would be welcome as the members of the family that they are. My children know exactly how to respect furniture. You don't grow up in a family that designs it, builds it, fixes it and refinishes it w/o learning how to respect it.

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 22:08

• vall622
    11 years ago

Obviously I allow my dog on my sofa. My choice. That's why chose slipcovers. They can be washed!! Wow. So many judgemental posters here

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Rosestink, hopefully you can be taught to respect other people's way of life.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Come on internet. Is this for real? I sure didn't take the comment so seriously.

Quilt is a great solution! I love that look. Does not look like a slip cover. I like it when it's wrapped under the cushions too. Can't seem to find pictures.

{{!gwi}}

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Heck, our familyroom sofa is upholstered in a medium color, and the seasonal slipcover is even darker. Our dog cuddles with us on it as we relax in the evening ...which i love. We often have dinner there, and the grands, too: pizza, ice cream, etc. My solution is exactly the same as foxespad: a matelasse quilt in matching color, whipped off and on with ease. Life is good!

• vall622
    11 years ago

Check out dreamy white blog. She uses antique sheets to cover her slipcovered sofa

Val
    http://dreamywhites.blogspot.com/2011/01/french-linen-sheetswhat-to-do-with-them.html

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

When there is a good sale or the great price on Ikea slipcovers....buy two sets. Well worth the investment and with tomorrow's prices one could be ahead of game. Yes, they can take time to remove and put back on. But once you are used to it (and know to fold the cushions to slide in) the process is fairly quick.

I have a heavy denim white slipcover for large chair and ottoman. 10 years old and yes it was time to replace. Ballards had a sale this week.

My white was not diffficult to maintain, perhaps due to the heavy denim and I only used them in the summer. I also spot clean with peroxide. Also, do not dry completely, they will be far less wrinkled and fit better.

There are dogs and cats during this time. I must admit to covering them with a coverlet when one of my sons visits. He is my one that loses things, can't find a thing, and doesn't occur to him that something has dirtied the cover.

New ones are on the way, can't wait. I love tailored slip covers and enjoy changing with the seasons....or mood.

Meant to add that feather cushions are far easier to fit.

• dabunch
    11 years ago

I have a question: Are you talking about the "white" slipcover or the off-white ?

I'm planning on purchasing the Ektorp sectional w/chaise, and thought of buying it in the off-white with an additional beige slipcover....

Do you wash these slipcovers in the washing machine or DRY CLEAN?
    Oh, the poster who uses peroxide to spot clean: Is your sectional in the WHITE or off white slipcover? I know that typically peroxide will WHITEN a fabric, so I would like to know if you use it on the off white fabric.

I'd appreciate any feedback about this Ikea sectional.

I thought that Ikea recommends dry cleaning them. This is very important for me to know before the purchase. I already struggle with changing the fitted sheet on the king size bed.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

I did the same thing with our white slipped sofa. I bought about 4 yards of a heavy cotton Ralph Lauren striped fabric that coordinated with the room, hemmed both edges and then draped it over the sofa the way the quilt is done in snookums pics.
    {{!gwi}}

We now only have a white sofa in the basement and I love it there because the low light hides most of the grime so I don't have to wash it as often.

I also wanted to add that when I was thinking of ordering the sofa for the basement (Ikea) someone here warned me that Ikea fabrics were notorious for staining and to scotchguard it first. I didn't get around to scotch guarding, but I've found that, so far, stains have come right out with washing. I think we've had a couple of melted popsicles as well as blueberry and pomegranate that have been removed just in the wash with only detergent added.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:51

• teeda
    11 years ago

Thanks for your honest review, Foxes. You've answered the questions so many of us wonder about. I've always loved the look of white slipcovered furniture, but didn't fully appreciate how much upkeep they require. I think your solution is perfect. My family loves to cuddle on the couch with our little rescue dog, we wouldn't give that up for the world either.

I was planning to have cotton duck slipcovers made for some parsons dining room chairs I'm looking at. Now I'm wondering . . .

• vall622
    11 years ago

I have the white ikea sofa and wash in washing machine and air dry. I have used oxyclean and bleach. That's why I got the white so I can bleach. Actually my slipcover was not real white but after washing and bleaching is now a true white. I love it. I have it in my living room. Not the most comfortable but I wasn't sure if I would love the white slipcoverd look. So before we invested in a more expensive sofa we got this because so inexpensive. I do love that ikeas slipcovers are so inexpensive. I heard pottery barns sofa fits these covers so when we're ready for a better sofa might go with pottery barn. Another thing is usually if sofa gets dirty it's just cushions which are simple to take off and wash. Had my sofa since October and only had to wash cushions twice(dog). But main cover looks great

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I've always dreamed of having white slipcovered furniture and I really appreciate knowing just how much upkeep they take. Thank you for such a thorough review, TheFoxsPad and thank you to other posters for adding in your experiences.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I did the same thing, and the white mattelasse cover looks very nice. My household involves two teenagers, a husband, two cats and a cream-colored, slipcovered sofa. Day to day wear wasn't noticeable, and I loved being able to remove the covers to launder out the occasional spill . Then one of the cats became ill, and yuck! there went the slipcovers. They wash well, but I don't want them to get worn out. It is much easier to wash the bedspread than to go through all the rigamarole with the slipcovers. I think the mattelasse works well because of the weight, drape, and texture.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the pics! I am getting another white slip later on but I'll still cover the seat cushions w/ the quilts. It was completely an after thought. There happened to be a couple of freshly laundered quilts in my laundry basket when I had the thought. I didn't purposefully run out and buy some just to cover the seat cushions. I did purposefully buy the white throw though when I saw it.

Dabunch - I have the Blekinge white. I bought it 2nd hand w/ the tan covers.

Vall662 - I also wanted to be able to throw bleach in which is another reason I wanted white. Just like you I also wanted to buy the Ektorp w/ white slips as a less expensive 'trial run' before investing in a better quality sofa w/ white slips in a few yrs. Our last sofa was a higher end sofa and I can appreciate the difference, but I am so glad that I found a less expensive version to test drive before taking the plunge again to marry t equality w/ the look that I want.

Nice Pottery Barn tip! Thanks!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

FoxesPad - thanks so much for all of your good ideas!

I too love white furniture and have smaller kids (I used to have 2 beloved dogs who did not get on the furniture but definitely deposited their share of grunge sleeping on the floor simply leaning against the couch) - I think that am like you, I am willing to do some extra work for my love of white, but not go completely insane. So I am off to find some quilts - and thanks again!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We had a white ektorp for years, and no kids... but just having guests sit on the thing created "butt prints"! Yuck. I ended up using a celtic knot bedspread thing as a cover, it worked with our decor at the time. Any throw is much easier to remove and wash than the slipcover itself, for sure!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I quit using bleach when I found that Oxyclean was soda and peroxide. Never thought of peroxide, but it does the job. Spray it on spots before washing, the mixture will dilute with the water and work on the spots as well as the entire set. My white is a bit off white, but one would have to put a pure white next to it to know.

Have read both dry cleaning and washing the Ikea. Think dry cleaning is because it has a backing on it. Suggest not putting in dyer on high setting. You can also dry white slip covers in the sun, makes a huge difference in "clean".

New covers better be as expected. I so...do not...want to let the old one go. The top of the ottoman cover gave up, which is where the most wear was. May not give up on it and sew a new top for it. I think this was a Levi furniture product and now out of my price range or no longer exists.

Do look at ballard too. I just bought a new chair cover, sofa and ottoman in white twill on sale with an additional discount. The ottoman was 28, other colors will vary in price though. Past experience with 2 chaise covers is they wear like iron. Although colors in twill tend to fade a bit. I do not have their furniture, just matched measurements and worked.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Very helpful. thank you all for sharing. I just don't seem me doing this very often. I do love the look, but wasn't sure it would work and now I am sure it won't :)

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Foxes Pad thank you so much for the review. So many people have those sofas and it really helps to hear from as many as possible about the comfort and the slipcovers.

I too use a quilt because I want my dogs on the sofa with me. I've gotten so used to having a freshly washed surface to sit on every week I doubt if I'll ever go back to sitting directly on the upholstery of a sofa. It's so nice to take the quilt off when I want to, and have the actual upholstery still looking like it's brand new. I think the quilt makes for the best of all worlds!

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    11 years ago

I have 2 Ektorp chairs and ottoman, and 3 kids...I swear by the Biz boil when a stain doesn't come out by regular laundering. It is amazing!

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Foxes, what I would like to know is if denim, especially indigo, will rub off on your white slipcovers. I am about to have some custom made and am so nervous about that issue! Thanks!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I have come across denim jeans that warn of this on their label. Unbelievable! Who would buy clothing like this?

• User
    11 years ago

"Who would buy clothing like this?"

People like me who love, and only wear, dark wash denim. I've only had one pair of jeans ever transfer though. After several washings dye STILL will rub off which is ridiculous. I don't wear them anymore. I'd be hesitant to use white slipclovers because of jeans alone.

Knowing white slipclovers show the dirt so easy, I cringe to think how dirty my upholstered furniture is. :(

• User
    11 years ago

For years all our sofas were slipcovered with green and off white mattress ticking covers. I had the material prewashed before they were made, and washed them probably four to six times per year. For me the trick was to take them out of the washer and hang them up for a few hours, them put them back on the furniture while still slightly damp. They finished drying in place, and they never even needed ironing.

We have two dogs who love a good sofa, plus our friends bring their dogs when they come for the weekend, and I have a DH who loves to nap on any available sofa :-) So I have all of our upholstered furniture steam cleaned three times a year. The guy who does it is a real pro, and it looks, feels and smells so fresh afterwards. There's no cleaning solution used, just steam and it's quickly vacumned back out. He let me look at the water tank once and I was very sorry that I did, and that was when I had him start coming 3x per year instead of two.We do this with moire check fabric, cut velvet, formal sort of shiny twill heavy silk, cotton, linen and other fabrics. It has never damaged anything. We "respect" our furniture by using it in the way it was intended---- to make our lives more comfortable, however we choose to do that. Keeping dogs, children and feet off furniture to keep it clean is antithetical to my idea of home.

Foxespad, I think your idea is brilliant and time saving, and still occasionally look at pix of your home office. You come up with wonderful and workable solutions for your home!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I use a 9x12 painter's drop cloth on my sofa.

• camlan
    11 years ago

Thank you, FoxesPad, for the review. I've always suspected that, much though I love the look, the upkeep of white slip covers would be more work than I want to do. And it is. So I will go on admiring white furniture in other people's houses. And be grateful for my darker, patterned upholstery that I can just vacuum once a week and be done with it.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

What camlan said :). I too have yearned for and loved the look of white slipcovers, actually the IDEA of white slipcovers, for years.

However, I don't have the time to wash them as frequently as I know I wiould want to. I just can't handle seeing dirt without trying to get it clean. I'm a fusser, an eww-gross-yuck reactor at the thought of all that lurks on well used furniture upholstery and finally hopefully mature enough to accept that is who I am and I ain't gonna change.

It's really Magnaverde's magnificent rule, isn't it: decorate for the live you live, not the life you wish you lived. Which is why I happily own a very nice leather couch instead of one with any fabric on it at all!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We also went with leather - it's just easy to wipe down and doesn't catch dust etc which is better for allergies. In winter when the leather feels colder we just use lots of throws to get cozy!

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

I bought a white sofa, got it home, and immediately realized I must have been temporarily out of my mind⦠It looks beautiful, but I cringed whenever anyone went to sit on it.

Disclaimer: I am a control freak. And not at all a good candidate for the smudges that come with a white sofa!!

I bought white duckcloth and draped it over the seat and back. Does it look super pretty? No. Does it hide how nice the sofa actually is? Yes⦠but it is WAY easier to throw in the washer! I donâÂÂt mind guests seeing it, but I do think it makes the sofa a lot more casual, which isnâÂÂt really the look I was going forâ¦

IâÂÂm still confused how I managed to suspend all knowledge of my own personality and buy something so particular⦠but you know how you get an idea in your mind, and convince yourself it will be fineâ¦

On the other hand, we have an older, non-slipcovered sofa in another room, and I shudder to think how dirty it must be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Victorian house project.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Victoria, I love your home!
    Kind of crazy, but I first became enamored of white furniture back in the '80s, before it became popular. I was renting a coachhouse apartment from an old-line, very Brahmin New England family. Their huge, old, seaside mansion was richly furnished with collected treasures from many countries. The sofas all had white or off-white upholstery. The place was so beautiful. They had dogs lounging on the furniture, grandchildren running around, watched TV with snacks or ice cream, lived a casual but luxurious life style. I didn't see spots on their slipcovers, and never saw them obsessively laundering them. I wonder if today we don't have unobtainable standards. If the rest of your stuff is great and you have a confident life style, spots on your slipcovers are OK and no one will notice. Yeah!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I will have to come back and read all of the tips. I, too, own white Ektorps (everything-- 2 chairs, sofa, and loveseat). I have 5 kids and 2 cats (but cats don't really count, do they?).

It does get dirty and, even with bleach or Oxyclean, I can't get all of the stains out. My kids eat only in the DR or kitchen (not because of the sofas, but because eating all over the house means way too much work for me) and we do not wear shoes in the house, but dirt happens.

It IS a lot of work to change them. The washing isn't bad . . .just the putting on and off (esp. the on, even though I leave it a little damp). What I do is have 2 sets, so I wash one set slowly (at my leisure) but the sofa is always covered. No way would I wash every week!

But, DH and I still think this is the best option. He hates leather (the feeling) and I feel a little iffy about it (I've been a vegetarians for decades), plus the cats' claws would scratch it.

We see how disgustingly dirty the white gets from just BODY DIRT (I'm not even talking food!). Yuck. So, I like the fact that they are actually clean, even though they may not be spotless.

DH wants to replace them when the kids get older, but frankly, guests have put more spots on the sofas then the kids . . .

Oh, and the nice thing about the white covers is that they are truly cheap. I still cannot figure out how a sofa cover is only $49. So, if the stains get bad enough, I'll get another set.

I used to use matelasse coverlets on them, too, but it ended up getting messed up too often, so I stopped.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

@sonicmom-- thatâÂÂs exactly what I had in mind. As though my choice in furniture might transform me into a different personâ¦. And maybe I would start wearing scarves, and serving mimosas after tennis.

Strange, how that didnâÂÂt happen.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

So glad I kept the chocolate brown suede slipcovers. Have been using the shite ones but this last week it seems that all of Houston and its outlying areas has turned into a wet squishy mud puddle.

It didn't matter how hard I tried, the dogs carried in enough mud to that until the weather gets better, white slipcovers are just not practical. Yes, I know that when the doggies walk by the brown slipcovered sofa, it isn't like the mud just doesn't exist, but I was just stressing out with the white.