Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

The never-ending LR story

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I'm going to try to keep any posts about my LR project on one thread, here, rather than posting on each element.

Where we last met our heroine, she had selected a sofa and sofa table. Next up, armchairs. These chairs should be a pair (there are three other orphan armchairs in the room).

Constraints:
Must be slipcovered.
Must be on casters or swivel (TV viewing)
Prefer exposed legs for airiness
Cannot be ungainly enormous
Must have adequate depth for a throw pillow
Must coordinate with Thibaut Preston ottoman (shown below in smaller size)

The choices are below. I am leaning toward the second one on row 2 (dontcha love the white matelasse, as an aside?). Can it fit a pillow?

I also like the blue one, which is a swivel, but are the arms too narrow for comfort? I like the casual aspect of it and it can definitely take a throw pillow (the back cushion I could do in a contrasting fabric). But I was trying to get something on exposed legs, to make the room feel more open? You see these from the back when you come in the front door.

Comments (94)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Mtn, no snow excuse here in sunny CA, but it did stay cool at 55F! I was just too lazy to get out of my chair, crab a key and set/reset the alarm.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Yes, that is what I meant. I like it. I gives that corner more breathing room and it draws attention to that beautiful, large window.

Looking at the picture I posted again, which coincidentally has a very similar sofa to yours, I think the chair in the second row on the right is most similar to the chairs in the picture and would look very nice.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I vote for the first chair in the second row...it looks the most comfortable for lounging and tv viewing.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Take a look at this site, I typed in swivel and came up with chairs that swivel and have slipcovers. These are the swivels that turn 360. The entire site is interesting .

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

This chair is a swivel/glider from Ballards - love the lines of this chair with your sofa & ottoman.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ladies.

I was sticking with Lee because I know the quality will be fine. I have never bought anything major from Ballards's.

I agree tho Arapaho, they look great! Do worry that the arms are too thin to lean on ...

will take a look!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

At times, seems we are traveling the same decorating path, though my little lakehouse is minuscule compared to yours. I, too, am looking for 2 slipcovered swivel chairs. I'm waiting for a few samples from Lee, but just got Serena's email today and may go that route. I like that Serena's Lee furniture is 8 way hand-tied where Crate and Barrel's is not.

May I ask if you are buying through an ID, or where else you're finding the Lee?

BTW, finally got my French cafe chairs. I have never received an online purchase so well packed. S & L definitely earned my repeat business.

• suero
    10 years ago

Just for the heck of it, a bunch of unskirted swivel chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milo Baughman

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Austin Powers, your chairs are in.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

Late again. But. I love the slipped chair with the matelassé cover and the gorgeous legs! The matelassé chair says to me, " I am a family heirloom chair too comfy and wonderful not to use here at the beach house"
    I think the chairs slipped to the floor are too ordinary for a world traveling, collecting, eclectic sea captain.
    I do love my slipcovered chairs with skirts for my house however.
    Having the best time viewing your beach house threads!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Cooper, you are kind! I love the matelasse, too, but I think I am heavily influenced by the fabric, and I am not using the fabrics pictured. It is between that chair thought and the top right swivel skirted chair.

Glad you are enjoying the project. It's starting to overwhelm me ..

KK, LOL

Suero, I am not sure if I have the nerve for those!

Dee,
    Thanks. I love Lee's site because it is so easy to search and compare. Our local Lee dealer is a store I like a lot, Lillian August, so I went there and have a sales associate helping me, largely in an order-taking capacity. I am not sure what her training is but I do not want to use an ID qua ID. I've never found one whose work I really like and find to be differentiated, and who doesn't automatically choose the most expensive when something else will do. For certain things, I am willing to spend whatever it costs, but that need not define every element of every room in one's home, KWIM?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here's a new mockup I did with the chandelier, which i decided to buy. It also has the sofa table, the antique delft tiles we are using on the fpl surround, and the area rug style (it will be custom sized).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another mockup from another angle.

This shows what we plan to do in the fpl area to tone down the panelling and darkness.

1) delft tile over the brick (IRL our tiles are antiques, and much paler and simpler)
    2) there is a wood panel insert over the fpl, we will replace it with aged mirror
    3) mounted on the mirror will be two sconces. I am delighted to have found a replacement for these sconces, which were IIRC 3800 each

And instead will get these, from the UK, all in more like 400 each:

They are on the hokey side but I like them...

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 23:47

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also bought the sofa and chairs and ottman. I am getting them all in an off white duck and will slipcover them (except the ottoman).

Here are the fabrics. Unforuntately the photos from the Quadrille site can be a little off, I will have to snap a photo of the samples, gives you a better idea of how they work together.

I am not positive I want to use the petite navy zigzag on the ottoman; but I am sold on the Batik on the sofa body, striped rectangular bolsters, and probably a plain linen pillow on each side too. The chairs will be in the paisley.

If I dont do the ottoman zigzag, I might do this with a navy welt:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whew, sorry about the gazillion posts, but Photobucket was acting up so I couldn't fold it all into one.

I need a lamp on the sofa table. Do you like any of these (would you introduce any aqua? The thing about the Chinese ceramic is that I, sadly, don't like any of the inexpensive ones (believed me I have looked at them all), and it is too precarious a spot for a precious one.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

The rooom is really coming to life; it looks clean, fresh and inviting.

I'd say no to the aqua. Of the remaining three lamps, #3 (the turtle lamp) or #4, but is 4 a little too matchy?

Have you spent any time looking at Wildwood lamps? I seem to recall a fair amount of Chinese ceramic bases (price range 300-500 I think).

Are you sure about the gold sconces with the silver hanging light? They seem a little discordant.

• pugga
    10 years ago

I am loving following your posts. It's going to be a beautiful room.

Re: the lamps - does the second from left have some gold tones in it? I'm wondering how a mostly silvery tone (like the turtle lamp appears) will look with your sconces so maybe the second one would mesh better.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I just love the blue and white with the dark paneling...that is such an excellent choice. I'm so glad you're having fun mixing the patterns as well. The zigzag on the ottoman looks fun.

If you want to introduce the aqua, do you have other places in mind to use it in the room too? If not, then I'd let it be....though it certainly is very coastal.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I like 2 or 3. Love the turtle really, would love to know the source on it.
    Love how all your fabric choices are coming together. Personally the mix of gold and silvery tones doesn't bother me at all. You're not looking at bright chrome, but rather soft-silver, which picks up gold at angles. IIRC that pendant chandy is a soft-silver finish too.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I thought about mentioning this in your vacation thread. There is a really fabulous furniture store in Charleston/Mt Pleasant that you should consider visiting.

It's enormous and the entire store has a fresh coastal vibe. It's easy to find and worth a small detour. Around here it's unusual to find a huge store completely devoted to the style. It may be redundant for you but I thought it was worth a mention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celadon

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Deee, I was in there on Saturday! Saw a lot of the fixtures that I've been looking at online, IRL there.
    Actually, I thought about posting this for mtn to look at, pic taken Saturday in Celadon. The base is gorgeous mother-of-pearl.
    The shade is one of those horrid plastic placeholder lampshades. Interestingly, Celadon has quite a few lamps with those awful shades, yet they don't have a selection of shades. Charleston Lighting though has an amazing selection of great shades, but a rather stuffy collection of lamps.
    Solution is to buy lamp at Celadon then take it over to Charleston Lighting to choose a great shade.

Mtn, this is probably a bit too on the shiny side for your room, but it reminds me a bit of your #2 choice above.

EDIT- this lamp was at Candelabra in Mt Pleasant. I was in both stores on Saturday. Sorry for the confusion

Here is a link that might be useful: Candelabra

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 8:47

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MlWeaving, that's a really nice lamp. I am not sure why, but I don't think I want a perfect round; perhaps it is too modern?

Dee, Thank you! I am indeed hoping I can find some things for the house on my travels.

Ml Weaving, a few places sell the turtle shell, in both silver plated and gold plated versions. I put a link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtle lamp source

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oldbat, Thank you!
    Discordant is my theme, LOL.
    The chandy is silver and gold, but it is matte and tiny bit distressed. I had always planned to lighten up the fpl wall with antique mirror, so that brings in silver again. And I just have an indefensible crush on the coral sconce. I think it can work, and I also think it means my lamp can be silver or brass. Thanks for the tip, I will go look at Wildwood!

Pugga, Thank you! I'm taking a lot of risks so it's always nice when someone likes it. The chandy is silver and gold, so I think it's ok.

Annie, Thank you. Yes, I could use an aqua throw, or use aqua pillows on the (white duck) chairs in the inglenooks.

I think I am going to look at some brass choices, too.

• deegw
    10 years ago

mlweaving_Marji - Do you shop at Celadon often? MP is a 3 1/2 drive for me so getting to visit is a special treat. Someday I have to plan a trip around a warehouse sale.

• pugga
    10 years ago

Love the chandy. I'm really not an all-must-match girl but even with my mish-mash style, I'm bothered if finishes are too far off each other. Hard to explain.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, pugga, it can be tricky.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say in response to your post at "Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 23:45" that I love how you are pulling everything together. I love your sofa, your fabrics, etc. I like your chandelier too!

For the sofa table, I like the Chinese ceramic on the far left photo best. But all of them would look great in your room.

Since you have a number of more "traditional" elements in the room to reinforce that late 19th-century sea captain's parlor theme, you could at this point mix in some more modern, contemporary lamps on the sofa table, just to keep the room eclectic.

Or (although this might be too theme), there is this "tea caddy" lamp at Wisteria:
    {{!gwi}}

Seen in context on the Wisteria website:

{{!gwi}}

I'm also a huge fan of this chandelier and hope that someone uses it to good effect on Gardenweb:{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Francoise! I had that very lamp bookmarked. I decided it might be too casual, tho.

As for the chandy, it looks a bit like one I am using in mr DR!

• suero
    10 years ago

I like the tortoise shell lamp the best of the four, but I also like this pagoda lamp from the same site as the tortoise shell, but maybe with a taller shade.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree that the tea caddy lamp is probably too casual.

What about going real vintage/antique for the lamps on the sofa table? Maybe something that looks like an old oil burning lamp?

Or, for faux vintage, check out the House of Antique Hardware.

Or, for a lamp that feels like a mermaid, this one from Currey and Co?
    {{!gwi}}

Lamps are so much fun because of the sheer variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Antique Hardware

• francoise47
    10 years ago

When I say I think you could get away with something quite modern, I was thinking of a lamp like this with clean lines:
    {{!gwi}}

Too much blue?
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Very sweet. But more bedroom than living room?

{{!gwi}}

I love this beach-y lamp that also manages to feel almost Victorian to me because of the rattan:
    {{!gwi}}

(All from Currey and Co.)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I love those blue fabrics that you have chosen and am so envoius with how they are all blending together. I love that tortoise shell lamp, but I also like the one that francoise selected. Take that for what it's worth because I tend to the casual anyway.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Francoise, I really like the bamboo Currey one, but I had nixed it because I felt it was too tall and skinny for the spot I think...

Thanks, Kellie.

I have a new round of lamps I found and will repost.

Suero, I like the pagoda one! I am not sure it it's too skinny though. Somehow, the fact that the table is so long and skinny lead me to think I need a fat-ish lamp?

• User
    10 years ago

Love the aqua lamp and the one next to it (mother of pearl?), also the tea caddy lamp, which i do not think is too casual in the least considering all the upholstered pieces will be slipcovered. Tole is a historical reference that would be perfect for your room, and that aqua is a wonderful, fabulous accent color to go with the blue and white! Not crazy about the faux bamboo, which looks like a mixed metaphor with a switch. You could also do heavy clear glass ginger jar lamps with sea glass pieces filling them up, maybe not in the living room but somewhere.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

A little off topic because it is a bedroom, but this room from Houzz reminded me a bit of your eclectic ship captain's living room:

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Sharon Architects & Designers Rafe Churchill: Traditional Houses

I like the lamps.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one next to it is a very interesting acid etched mirror. I think it looks sort of gourd-like or sea urchin-esque. You are the first to comment on it, KSWL, and it was one of my faves. However, I thought at first it was metal. I don't want to spend more than say $500 for anything breakable, given the precarious location (see link fwiw)

I have a new round of lamps to throw out there.. I do like the idea of the glass ones, evoking glass floats a bit. And the pierced nod to Asia. The tricky thing is, on one hand, it should be somewhat casual, but there are certainly some formal aspects.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool finish

• suero
    10 years ago

Here's your sofa table with the tortoise shell lamp and the pagoda lamp to scale. I also put a larger lampshade on the pagoda lamp.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suero, you are so kind, I was just doing the same thing!

I am starting to like the white, to my surprise. The room I am copying has a lot of painted white items, a trunk, radiator cover, etc. I think my room needs more (my moodboard is missing the white asian-inspired TV case)

Anyway lamps in situ:

• User
    10 years ago

From the new round, #1 and #4 are the clear winners for me. And love the lamp I thought was MOP, very cool almost industrial finish.

I know there's almost universal praise for the turtle shell lamp, but I think it is just too obvious... Sort of like a rooster lamp in a French Country room....bet u can guess how I know this :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, KSWL. One is allowed only a few of those indulgences. And I already have the coral sconces...

• francoise47
    10 years ago

I like all the new lamps you posted. I do especially like the white lamp -- it contrasts nicely with the sofa table. And adds texture, but not color, to a room that already has a lot to interest the eyes. It also reinforces the white and blue theme.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Lamp #2 or lamp #4.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Lamp #2 or lamp #4.

• suero
    10 years ago

Lamp #2. Lamp #4 is visually too heavy for the table.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, I just bought lamp 2. On to the next decision!

: )

• maddie260
    10 years ago

Could you please tell me where to source that chandelier you said you hoped someone could use? I know just the person - ha! It's beautiful! Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you mean the one above, from Francoise/

• maddie260
    10 years ago

Would you please tell me where to source that chandelier you thought someone could put to good use? I know just the person and place for it- ha! It's beautiful! Thank you.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Maryanne3,

The polished nickel chandelier with black shades I posted above on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 14:35 is part of the Jasper collection made by Hudson Valley Lighting.

Glad you like it!

mtnrdredux -- glad you found your sofa table lamps. Can't wait to see more of your beautiful sea captain's beach house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasper collection Hudson Valley Lighting

• maddie260
    10 years ago

Thanks!