Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

What is your front door made of?

stu2900
10 years ago

This cold winter has made it clear to us that we need a new front door, but aren't sure which kind to get. Could you tell me what you have and if you like or dislike it?

Comments (17)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Mostly its glass and we live in WNY. We love it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We got a new steel door last year. We have ever only had steel, but there is a big difference in quality. I would avoid Lowes/HD cheap doors. I would go to a reputable door/window place, no matter what kind you get.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

One thing to take into account is which way your home faces and if the door is sheltered from sun and rain. Does the sun beat on your front door all day? Will it be wet from rain for significant periods of time? That is really, really hard on wood. If that is the case, a wood door might not be a good idea.

Just something to consider when you make your choice.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The door faces South and gets the sun most of the day. We used to have a storm door,but the heat just built up too much and really damaged the original door to the house, so we took it off. I really like the look of just a door anyway.

• fivefootzero
    10 years ago

We have a Pella fiberglass door. Our house faces south so we needed something that could take that exposure. We also have a storm door and have no issues with it...glass or screen insert.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If it's a southern exposure and gets sun most of the day, consider a double glass (for insulation), full pane door, and you'll also benefit from solar heat. My porch, has all three outer wall consisting of huge glass sliding doors, reaches temperatures of 90 degrees on sunny days in the dead of winter. I'm in Mass., where average winter temps range from 20 - 40 degrees.

My front door is the full glass pane, but it gets NO sun.

On the other hand, not everyone likes a front door that is so visibly open to the inside of a house. In that case, I'd go with heavy steel.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

We're in North Dakota. About 10 years ago we replaced a cheap steel front door with fiberglass, and LOVE it. We have a storm door with a disappearing screen - if it's sunny and warm, we expose a bit of the screen at the top to vent the space. This winter we haven't had any warm days.

We were so happy with our fiberglass door (and patio door) that when we replaced the windows in the house a few years ago, we got those in fiberglass too.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I have a solid mahogany door with glass in the upper part. It's southwest facing.
    I can feel the cold air fall off the glass, but the wood part remains room temperature.
    Weather stripping was an issue, but I fixed that.
    What to do about the glass? I'm not sure. I need the light, but it's effing freezing in here sometimes.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh---We need to replace our sliding patio door, also. So you replaced your patio door with fiberglass? Could you tell me the brand?

• jmc01
    10 years ago

Solid oakdoor, north/northwest facing, porch is 8 ft deep and the roof overhangs by about another 2 ft.

Door was put in in 1919 and has served our home very well.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

CEFreeman, I have the same as you, probably with the side light panels on either side, with glass at the top and mahogany at the bottom.

I got concerned about being able to see in, especially lately with so many break-ins in my area around Christmas, so I asked my shutter company if they would make shutters and stain them to match my door for the side light panels and they did.

I wanted to keep the view of the larger part of the door's glass intact, so for winter evenings, I have brass straight pins in the door to which I attach shirred peau de soie fabric woven onto a little rod. It is attractive and yet keeps out the light, the cold and the peering eyes. I can shirr it more and tie a velvet ribbon if I want a little view during the daytime,

Some days I just don't even want my neighbors to come over and see in my door. Some days I just want to pretend I am unavailable. I have days when I do not feel well and don't need visitors, just friends who understand my situation.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

My husband made our front door out of wood and I carved the handle and made a leaded bubble glass window for it. We stained the door dark and the leading is black with frosted glass. Behind that door is a regular entrance door with your basic knob so you open two doors to get in to the house.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

We replaced our steel door with fiberglass last summer. We also have sidelights and a transom. My DH and I are happy with our choice and can't believe how much warmer it is in our entry. This year's polar vortex was a good test!

• dcward89
    10 years ago

Ours is the original solid oak door with original hardware from when our house was built about 70 years ago. It has 3 rectangular windows in the top 4th of the door. My husband took it off several years ago and sanded and restained it and finished it off with several coats of poly. It is absolutely beautiful but the weatherstripping around it needs attention every fall. DH would like to replace it with a steel door but I can't stand the thought of it.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Mahogany. It faces north and gets no sun. We put on a glass storm door with a hidden screen so we can get the wonderful breezes. I love having the door open when I'm in the LR, or else I feel closed in.

The storm door trim is that deep purple so it doesn't stand out and we can still see the door. When we get a big storm from the north the storm door protects the wood door.

I need more coffee, the above sounds goofy. lol

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I don't know which is considered better fiberglass or steel....but our friends moved into a home with a "wood look" fiberglass door and several years later it had faded considerably and looked terrible. They have to "restain" it frequently.