Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

kitchen paint help with pix and all sorts of help

User
14 years ago

I am coming out of the "head hanging in shame room due to indecision inertia paralysis" room- I have been unable to decide on a paint color for my 90% finished kitchen. It has been at this stage for over a year.

To review, I removed soffits, added crown molding to the existing cabinets, changed hardware, replaced countertops from offwhite formica to sapphire blue granite, replaced flourescent box ceiling fixture with pendants, got new faucet.... removed wallpaper and have been stumped.

The room opens to the family room which surprise has beige carpet and is currently painted a pale beige (been on the walls for 10+ years to could use some refreshing anyways)- similar to shaker beige.

In the family room is currently a blue sofa and loveseat which probably needs to be replaced one of these days. The point being I love blue, and would happily get it again, but they don't seem to be showing much blue lately... so if I did get a new couch, I would still love to find blue-(navy to cobalt to denim shades ) but would settle for surprise! Beige, camel, or even a dark brown.

There is a common wall with no (existing or logical) break that spans the kitchen to family room.

I would consider painting a more dramatic color on the wall with the oven and the long common wall, and a more subdued color on the other walls.

I am hoping you are still with me here... here are the pix hopefully. It's been a while since I shared, and it seems photobucket has changed a bit?

Hold my hand and walk me through this.[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/ladidah2007/JUNE2009/DSC00230.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/ladidah2007/kitchen%20now/DSC00653.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (16)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

obviously those were the wrong link formats. See it has been a while. This is before the wallpaper was removed and all but it shows the table/and light that I love and still have....
    {{!gwi}}

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I DO maybe like the idea of a chocolate color which might look nice against your cabinets and then you can do some accents in the blue (canisters, towels, etc)

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    14 years ago

Boy, can I identify with your dilemma. I'm currently on month three with deciding a bedroom color, and this is after "making up my mind" three times already.

Have you read Maria Killam's blog? She has a very good article on beige and how it can look pink or green or yellow, depending on what color it's up against. With your tile and floor you need to consider that, I think.

If you are considering BM paint, go to their site and register as a decorator and order full sheets of color samples. It's free and they are much nicer to use than the little paint chips. I put a white paper or board up so I can't see anything but the colors I'm comparing and that seems to help.

BTW, I love love love your kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: What Everyone Should Know About Beige

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful! You must be so happy. Since you love blue, why not try one of the new grey/blues that are so popular these days? They are some great pics on this site of kitchens in these new neutral colors. Just an idea....
    May I ask how you added the crown molding to the top of the cabinets? Did your DH do it, or did you hire someone? I need to do the same on mine, and my DH wants to try it himself.
    Thanks

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is indeed beautiful...great colors!!! You probably needed a break after all the work you did. :-) I agree that beige on your walls would be good, then a chocolate brown above your cabinets and below your chair rails.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the feedback so far-
    1-Oopsie- I was suggesting chocolate brown for a couch- and while I think chocolate brown could be nice against the cabinets, those walls continue all the way into the family room. I should have added that the opposite wall in the family has a huge cherry wall unit so that facing a brown wall would be too much for me. We do get lots of light; its a southern exposure, but at night that would just be too dark for me.
    2-therealmrsdoodlepunk-Thank you for posting that blog--thta is exactly my dilemna. Sometimes the cabinets have a pink undertone and sometimes they have yellow. ((HELP!!))
    It's funny because one of the colors shown in that blog was bradstreet beige and it is one that a "Decorator" had suggested. She had suggested that one, shaker beige, and jackson tan along with brookline beige for the beige family. For blues she had suggested wedgewood gray and van corltand blue.
    3-homebody- I had a contractor do the moldings (he also removed the soffits) but I suspect it is not that difficult if someone is reasonably handy.My dh has some wonderful traits but handy is not one:( I waiver between the beiges and the gray blues you suggested.
    4-Vampiressm-- I love your suggestion but again, the "above the cabinets" thing turns into the whole wall which turns into 2 rooms.
    Can you feel my pain and understand why I am frozen in indecision?
    Keep those thoughts and suggestions coming folks. I appreciate them to the utmost.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

What is your favorite color?
    Do you like greens, reds or blues?
    Maybe purple or yellow or brown?

Go to your closet and see what is the color you have the
    most of and the second most of. Think about those colors
    for your space.

Do these rooms open to other rooms? What colors are
    dominate?

On my monitor the tile diamond shapped looks a green blue.
    Am I right?
    And that beautiful vase, does that have a bit of green
    blue in it?
    The granite maybe Ubatuba or Verde Peacock?

So I would suggest a green or blue based color? Do you
    love greens and blues? What about the depth of color?
    Do you like deep blues or greens or light washed colors?
    Country cottage Ish or dark libary-ish?

Here are some ideas
    ~boxer

Sycamore Green Behr

Scotland Road

Athenian Green Behr

Sea Star BM This is a great blue that will make your
    cabinets really stand out. And if there is any blue in
    the vase, tile or counters it will look stunning.

Brewster Gray BM

Cedar Grove BM

Interesting Aqua by Sherwin Williams

• User
    14 years ago

All of the paint sights have tools so you can see your rooms in their colors. Just for fun, I tried the SW site with your pictures and here's some samples. I would add some decorative trim to the lower portion of the chair rail and paint it white:

SW Needlepoint Navy:

SW Bengal Grass which looks great with the travertine:

SW Quietude (a forum favorite)

SW Rockwood Blue Green:

• charlikin
    14 years ago

I vote for the SW Needlepoint Navy (or something similar) - love blue with light-colored cabinets! The very light blue is too light...

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Wow that is wonderful. Lukkii the blue makes the
    cabinet just pop.
    I agree the blue paints look stunning!!

I think Behr and BM also have the system of uploading
    a photo. I am going to have to check SW out.

Here are some favorite blues that might work too.

Nocturnal Sea by Behr

Reflecting pool Ralph Lauren

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks! I think it looks good too, even with the wallpaper!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow thank you guys so much- you are too kind..
    I do like the contrast of the darker walls, but my concern is that when I carry it into the family room... not so sure.. I do like the idea of maybe painting below the chair rail a light color to at least break up the dark. Looking at this whole thread, that sea star really caught my eyes. Maybe I am driving myself crazy but I also look up the light reflective values of various colors I am interested in, and though that color looks very vibrant to me, it seems like it would be quite dark. Same with the needlepoint navy which I agree looks wonderful in the mock up.
    I guess I need to find a better picture too to work with to show the granite and the wall (the one I posted shows the old countertops which were white and might also influence the colors)...

This is where my indecision roots itself- what looks really good with teh cabinets(the contrast of intense color and the lighter wood) just doesnt work so wonderfully into the family room.......
    once again- help.....(and thank you)

• User
    14 years ago

Maybe the problem is that you're insisting that the wall color be carried on into the other rooms instead of considering other options. There are other ways to approach it, you just need to think outside of the box a bit to do it.

For example, our main floor basically forms an L shape with the kitchen and living room at opposite ends of each other and dining room in the middle. We have one continuous wall that goes from the kitchen, to the small breakfast area and into the living room. I don't particularly like the way it looks and plan on installing some 18 inch walls on each side of the entrance from the living room to the dining room to help make it a more defined space. For the time being though, I have a line where the paints change color from yellow to Cream and IMHO it still doesn't look bad.

There are many things you could do that are less expensive and would allow you to use different colors in each space. For example, you could install a floor to ceiling wall unit or use a tied back drape. A clever and economically affordable idea my daughter found for their transition is invisible bookshelves. They're going to install them from floor to ceiling and house their vast collection of cook books on it.

If you post pictures with views of how the transitions from one room to another look in your space, I bet you'll get several doable solutions to consider and then the options of color for your kitchen will expand greatly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample of Invisible book shelves.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am bumping for cawfee girl to look at the great ideas you all gave me. Things have been very crazy here so needless to say, paint store and time to look at things has not been happening.. here's hoping for calm.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Hmmmmmm - I really like many of the blues posted and the suggestion for the blue but INHO I really liked the 'accidental' suggestion of chocolate brown on the transition wall.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well just to update- I STILL have not done a thing paint wise. I know how sad.
    But, I did actually get painting estimates and will have it painted hopefully within the next few weeks. The suspense mounts.... almost set on shaker beige... but then I think......I need to have a breakthrough epiphany on this one.