Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Should I get this china cabinet?

KevinMP
10 years ago

It's been a while, but I'm back to pester you all.

So Stenella has a great Stickley china cabinet in the same finish as my Stickley table and with a Greek key design. These are hard to come by, let alone in this condition and price and in this particular design (four drawers instead of all doors and the Greek Key moulding). I'm inclined to snatch it up because I've been looking for one to go with the table, but the house we're in is a little tight. I don't want to be too shortsighted here, but I also don't want to regret larding up the house for the next 2-3 years we'll be here. The interesting thing (to me anyhow) is that the room feels larger, in some respects with the upholstered arm chairs around the table (see below) and pulled away from the "corners" of the room, and there'd still be 30" of walkway between the side chairs and the china cabinet when the chairs are all pushed in. It also maintains symmetry in the room and with the fireplace and chandelier. Do you think it's a good idea? Too tight or just right? Is it weird to have the two mahogany Chippendale style pieces along the same long wall?

Here's the china cabinet:

Here's sort of what the dining room looks like now (older pictures with the much maligned coat rack removed and replaced with a small oil painting):

Here's what it looks like with one of the two leaves in and all six chairs around the table with the dropleaf table pulled out from the wall as far as the center stack of the china cabinet will intrude into the room. Ignore the junk by the door; it's waiting for trash day (still).

Comments (75)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I did not insert the winkie, but I think you know I was being facetious. You could be in Prussia or Buffalo as easily.

• Em11
    10 years ago

I'd buy that thing quick, even if I had to put it in storage for a later house. But then I do that. I'm storing things for a beach cottage that we plan on building in a few years.

• User
    10 years ago

Do you want your room to be over the top formal, verging on frumpy? I can see the Hepplewhite sideboard with a painting or large mirror working with your style much better. Some Stickley pieces stand out, like the Hepplewhite sideboard, while others are not so different from the many cheap reproductions, for me the breakfront is not that special.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I get the feeling you'll be disappointed if you don't get it.

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:11

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Layout #2 is my vote. It would be great if you could find another spot in the house for the secretary so that you have it for a future DR just in case you end up with a smaller or less walled space.

My former DR hutch that I loved and would not get rid of, is now working as a bookcase in the new LR. Not ideal, but the storage is helpful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Well, now, hold on ... it's a "great price" compared to new, but to be sure, Stenella ain't Craigslist. They know the market for these things better than anyone, and they of course make a profit. So there is no reason to expect a priori that a buyer could resell a Stenella piece and make a profit. One should expect to be out, at a minimum, delivery and taxes, but in reality significantly more.

It's not the rip-your-eyeballs-out pricing of new stuff, but it's still not a "buy it no matter what" price.

Mtn (who remains in favor and who knows the OP knows all this)

PS Kevin, thanks for reminding me of Stenella. I found a great little painting there I just bought.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A sideboard would not provide any storage and would be just as deep if not deeper than the china cabinet. I thought about getting a sideboard already, but with wedding gifts (china and crystal, etc.), we are going to need more storage. As to what is or is not frumpy, that's a matter of taste. I don't think formal is frumpy ever (at least as that term is used today), but it could be considered stuffy. My house is very cozy and, I think, achieves a level of formality while still being welcoming. It's certainly not to everyone's tastes, however. Then again, neither is living in a 180 year old house or having unpainted, dark wood furniture.

I'm going to see the china cabinet today to see if it's in good condition. I'm also going to swing by to look at a new one (which will likely be 2.5x the cost at least).

As Mtn said, it's not going to be cheap, but it's also far better cared for than a lot of what's on CL. Matching Stickley's Hampton finish in both color and sheen is also not easy, so I don't have a ton of options.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:53

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Good luck whatever you do.

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:12

• User
    10 years ago

Well if its $3000 it would absolutely be worth storing for a few years, that is a steal.

• User
    10 years ago

Kevin- I really like your style, it is a very nice traditional, yet masculine, relaxed formal. Adding a breakfront full of china and crystal will change the feel a bit, whereas a sideboard would be more in keeping with the current feel. Not saying that it is bad, just explaining where I was coming from. One thing to keep in mind, if you plan to move to another old home there may be built ins in the dining area that would make the breakfront unnecessary.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I love it. I hope you get it.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Kevin, Your home and decorating style could never be considered stuffy or frumpy. Warm, charming, elegantly cozy yes. A classic look will NEVER go out of style while the trendy, of the moment designs will virtually scream dated in a few years.

I am so looking forward to pics once your new piece is in place.

• peegee
    10 years ago

What Holly-kay said.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Any updates? I hope you made it to Stenella before we get our next snowstorm.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 20:32

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I think floor plan #4 could work. The other furniture on that wall would need to go, as you have indicated. If you truly love the breakfront and feel it is a great opportunity, then I hope you get it. I'm not so sure I would buy a piece to be used in a future unknown home. It all comes down to how much you love it. If you love it enough to rearrange your current dining room, pay the expense of moving it, arranging your future home around it, or even basing your future home purchase on whether or not it will accommodate this piece. I would say if the answer is yes to all of those, then hustle out and get it before someone else snatches it out from under you!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the breakfront on Friday. They're willing to buy back the secretary (but for several hundred less than I paid), so I haven't yet decided if I want to sell it back to avoid having to deal with storage or keep it by storing it somewhere.

And the pediment is removable, it appears, which is good. I won't be moving it in until after I get the floors in the kitchen and dining room re-done this week. I'll keep you posted.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I saw that Stenella had sold one this past weekend and was hoping it was yours. Can't wait to see what it looks like in your space.

• jjam
    10 years ago

Kevin,

Good for you! Cant' wait to see it. Would you mind sharing the name of the paint color in your Dining Room? I know someone else asked as well. It's stunning.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Kevin mentioned the name of the color a couple times in other discussions: Pratt & Lambert Accolade in the "velvet" finish in Wythe House Gray (historic Williamsburg color).

I love it too! I wonder whether Ben Moore has a comparable shade because I don't have a P&L dealer near me.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The BM names changed for some colors, and some of the colors are slightly different. If you're really interested in PL, I have full cans that I had made before they took the information out if the system so that they can always get the recipe right again in the future. But if check out BM first.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's here, and I went with what I thought would be the least likely placement in the room. It seemed right at home when I put it there. The result is that I can keep the table in the smaller (leafless) shape for everyday use, but I had to relocate one of the upholstered arm chairs to the guest bedroom (which is fine, in any event, since that could use a nice chair).

I think this was a great deal. It looks even better in my house than it did in the ad or in person. I also think that the oil painting on the wall next to it can stay now that I see them side-by-side, but I may change my mind on that. I think it needs a minimalist frame (as in a 1/4" gold leaf frame), but I don't think I feel like splurging on that just yet. It would be too empty without it, and I like the juxtaposition of style while maintaining the colors in the room.

I rejected the symmetrical approach (unlike me) with the china closet lined up with the table, rug, fireplace, and chandelier for two reasons: (1) it was too tight unless I were to have the leaf in the table with all six chairs around and (2) with only one upholstered chair, I liked the asymmetry of having the chair and the china closet in opposite corners.

This will also give a peek at the newly "refinished" heart pine floors (which turned out great).

Hope you like it, too.

And one with the pediment, just so that you can see what that looks like (I think I like it without).

This post was edited by KevinMP on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 20:10

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful-but I prefer the pediment. It seems to work well in your home.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Very nice, Kevin! So glad you went for it. The placement of the furniture looks great on those beautiful floors. FWIW, I prefer no pediment.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Love it where you have it.
    Floors are beautiful, everything is great.
    Did I miss a post where you got married.
    Anyways congrats on that.

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

Your room is beautiful with your new china cabinet. Perfect!!

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

It's beautiful and the placement is perfect. Your home is lovely.

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I'm glad I checked back on this site to see if you had decided on your purchase or not.

The cabinet looks really nice in your space.

I'm laughing at myself because I didn't know what a "pediment" was and I was looking back and forth at the pictures like one of those "find the 10 things that are different in the two pictures" you find in the back of magazines...I figured it out, it's the wood piece that sits on top of the hutch!! I like both. It looks more traditional with it and a little more modern without. But it is up to you and what you like in real life. I don think you can go wrong with either.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like it and I think it balances the weight of the room: the fireplace versus the china cabinet. Love it. I have no regrets on your behalf. ;-)

• User
    10 years ago

It looks good there, and does not impede ingress from your front door. I would leave the pediment off until you have it In a room where it is placed symmetrically on a wall, where the pediment will look right. Very nice addition to the room and your collection of fine furniture.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

it looks great and I went back to your previous pics with the other furniture and I like this furniture so much better. But without the pediment.

The picture seems to be anchored better on the wall, I think because it's scale is better with the larger cabinet and what I noticed without the table under the pic is how well the colours of it flow with the floor and the carpet. Nice - you went with your gut and really succeeded.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Lovely! Just perfect in your beautiful room.

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Kevin you should share wedding details and a paypal account.

I think the forum members would send you a monetary gift just to see what you are going to buy and where you would put it : )

I can't wait to see pics of your cozy home after it is overfilled with beautiful presents. Please do share.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. It will be a December wedding this year.

Should the picture be hung a little lower now that the table is no longer there, or is it fine as is?

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I would lower it just a bit. Is the top of it higher than the top of the cabinet and door? It seems to be in some of the pics. I'd make sure that it was at or below those heights so that the center is around 58" or so. If it's already there, then I'd leave it. Proper placement for viewing is more important than that top line consideration.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Gorgeous cabinet!!! The whole room is simply divine -- charming, elegant and classic!

Yes -- I do like the cabinet without the pediment .... just the right height for the room ....

And Many Congratulations on the December wedding!! Of course, we will expect details and photos .......... (just teasing ..... well ..... not really ..... we love photos of such happy events!)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell whether the picture is hung at a good height or not because all the pics are taken at an angle. However, in a dining room pics can be hung (and should be) a little lower because you're looking at them from a sitting position rather than standing.

In your case, I would sit down and then look at the bottom of the picture and just make sure that the bottom is NOT lower than the edge of the china cabinet that separates the buffet part from the hutch part. That division, because of the size and design of the cabinet, is quite strong and can almost act like a visual support (fooling the eye) for the picture.

It looks like it might be just about even now.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

looks nice!! i would keep the pediment on!

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Very nice; looks perfect in your warm home. I prefer the cabinet without the pediment, and I think the picture can be lowered just a tad.

Congratulations on the wedding - I can only imagine what the table settings will look like: stunning!

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Beautiful.

I prefer without the pediment, which surprises me.

Can I come to your wedding? What a lucky lady you have.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Well done Kevin. You found just the right spot for the breakfront. It doesn't throw the room off balance and preserves the flow around the dining table.

Where will you put the drop leaf?

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you have extra closet space.............

• jshore
    10 years ago

It looks fantastic. I think the fact that the window to the left of the front door isn't centered balances the china cabinet not being centered on the wall. Your dining room is so beautiful and warm, I hope you and your fiancé enjoy many wonderful dinner parties. And the floors look great too.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

It is beautiful...and looks like it was made for that spot in your home. And made for all those wedding gifts to come! Congratulations on the coming wedding and on another successful room. I know how you agonized over the upholstered chair fabric, but moving one out is a good thing. Really shows off the floors.

I'm with everyone else on the art. Maybe lowering just a bit would be best. And I also prefer no pediment. It makes the corner look less crowded IMO.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your "acquisitions ", both human and not.
    : )

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yes, well done, Kevin. Oh the breakfront is nice, too. Seriously, it looks lovely where you have it.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Perfect! I don't think the room or the corner looks crowded at all.

• glad2b
    10 years ago

It looks like it was made for that spot! Just beautiful. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

• Julia Hart
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm late to the party but wanted to let you know how wonderful I thought the china cabinet looks with that placement. The cabinet is also absolutely stunning. Are you still in that home or did you end up moving?

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

Ah - a 7 year old post. But just for a brief moment I though our KevinMP had re-joined us with a new project.