Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

What's over your kitchen sink?

Arapaho-Rd
16 years ago

I am in the process of taking down the shelf/valance over my kitchen sink. It was never installed properly and needs to be redone. I am contemplating whether to replace it with just a valance or leave it open and have no cabinetry, valance or anything about the kitchen sink/window. Any pictures you have showing this area would be helpful, especially the lighting that's there. Thanks so much!

Comments (23)

• yiannab
    16 years ago

No pic because it isn't done yet, but I have a corner kitchen sink and to the left of me will be a Greenhouse window. I will post pics as soon as it is done!

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This be totally crazy, how would a light like this look over a kitchen sink (it's actually a bathroom light)????

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom fixture

• syllabus
    16 years ago

If you have other iron accents around the kitchen, this would be really cool! I don't get a "bathroom" vibe from it at all.

The light over my sink is a small chiclit and is something I want to replace. There is a cut out pass thru to the sunroom right over the sink and on the wall above the opening I've hung a couple of plates from a vast collection.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Our's is open and I have a SoonerMagic sign above the sink to remind me of GardenWeb and the great advice the kitchen forum gave in the process of the build. I have a mini recessed can light above the sink:

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

soonermagic~I love that shade, is it Smith & Noble, please give details!! I love your countertops, too, and your subway tile, the whole vibe of your kitchen just rocks!

• chelone
    16 years ago

A casement window that I loathe.

• jakabedy
    16 years ago

Two houses ago we had a single sconce (the "Austin" sconce from Rejuvenation) hanging from the wall over the window. We didn't put up any window treatments at all. It looked very nice with the Craftsman/Shaker vibe we had going in that kitchen.

In the current kitchen, it's not an issue! The sink is in the middle of a long island, which is under a giant 10' x 17' skylight. There are also halogen pendants for night time.

• amykath
    16 years ago

Love the light fixture! I think it could go great over your window.

Sooner, LOVE your kitchen!!!! I drool everytime I see it. It is stunning really.

We have a pot light and three plates. I tried to figure out all kinds of treatments for the windows but in the end returned them all and the rest away (made several) and left it bare.

{{!gwi}}

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

The shade was custom made from fabric that I simply fell in love with. I would have done all the windows in the kitchen, living, dining space (one big open room) the same but husband was not keen on how feminine the fabric is. I had matching throw pillows made, though, and when I find the perfect bar stools, I'll use the left over fabric on the stools.

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help! Your kitchens are absolutely beautiful! Love the shade, sign, plates! I could put a can light and hang something above the window like you both did. I need some kind of light there otherwise it's dark. aktilley, looks like we have the same hand soap/lotion wire basket from Bed Bath Beyond!

• susan209
    16 years ago

Beautiful fixture, how could you go wrong with it if it goes with your decor? Other two kitchen windows shown are so wonderful too with the pot light above and something else over the window, such a personal choice.

• User
    16 years ago

I didn't want to block any light so I made this stained glass valance. Above it is an wooden architectural piece I came across while looking for front porch accessories. It happened to be the exact measurement of the window. I put a round mirror behind the open circle to reflect more light.
    {{gwi:1319589}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think it depends on the look of your kitchen and what looks good with it.

My treatment is like AKTillery - but I have a corner sink with double-hung windows which had muntins and I changed out for solid glass window. Let there be light, and there was!

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

An arch window built into an alcove with window height granite and two 5 inch recessed lights.

• liz1977
    16 years ago

I have a wall over my kitchen sink...no window! The window is on the other side of the kitchen! Poor me....

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Soonermagic, Atkillery, Lsandler... I love your kitchens!

Soonermagic, where did you get the sign made? Or did you do it yourself? That's fantastic.

I might have to get a "Chicoryflower" sign for my kitchen (which won't be as pretty, I can tell you for sure). That's brilliant!

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

Nothing exicing I promise you....

{{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Soonermagic, forgot to tell you -- your kitchen is very beautiful. They all are but I am a fool for marble.

• littledog
    16 years ago

An oil painting my DH's cousin's ex wife did and gave us for a wedding present. The wall color is really closer to the color of the sky in the painting, but washed out with the flash.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

dgmarie you said nothing exciting?????????????
    What about those windows!!!! They are wonderful!

What a bonus to have all that light.

Everyone's kitchens are beautiful

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, what pretty kitchens! Seems like the trend is towards no wood valance but a more open look. If anyone has a wood valance I would love to see that as well. Maybe then I can make up my mind!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Pretty kitchens is right! Soonermagic, I love your sign (DS is in grad school at OU and we're big Sooner/OU fans). I like a view of something over a sink, as it's so boring washing up those dishes! If I didn't have my window, I'd hang up a picture with a nice view to look at. Here's mine:
    {{!gwi}}

• soonergirl99
    15 years ago

Question for SoonerMagic ~ Where did you get that great "Sooner Magic" sign hanging above your window?