Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Whatdo you think of mirrors flanking a bed?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I really like the look of mirrors flanking the bed in a MBR, like here:

In our MBR, we have a canopy bed (not too different then the one above. It will be draped with a length of plain white muslin, probably just over the top at the headboard end. To add to the busyness, we have pendant lamps on either side.

Do you think I can add in large mirrors (simple ones!), on either side?. Will it look odd to have the pendant reflected in them? I have seen plenty with table lamps, even quite large ones, reflected in them... I do not have a ton of room on either side of the bed ; on one side it's only about 3 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: More mirror images (haha), very pretty rm.s

Comments (33)

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

It will look fantastic! I think it makes such a huge improvement in rooms when this is done! And reflecting the light is just a bonus!!

Go for it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bee!

Good! Glad you like the idea. I worried that i'd never seen it done with pendants, but it isn't like a pendant has a "wrong side".

Would you match the nightstands if you did this? I usually don't and I was going to see what we already have at the house that I could paint. There is a fair amt of furniture there.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I've always liked this look and have thought about doing it in our bedroom...just have never gotten around to it. I don't think it will be any different reflecting a pendant as opposed to lamps.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

i have windows flanking the bed in our new house. if i didn't i would totally use mirrors!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THx, Joanie.

Thanks, Maggie, funny you should say that. As I was looking through the images, it occurred to me that the mirrors are really mimicking windows!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I would like to do that when my #3 takes the dresser that I am now using for a bedside table and the library table on the other side. I have seen this in a friend's house and love it. My
    DIL loves the library table for her house and wants the dresser to use in the upcoming baby's room, which was my dresser as a child, and the library table was DH's place of study when he was growing up (he didn't have a dresser). I had seen this look in a friend's house years ago and LOVED it.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I see no issue with the pendants. What would the mirrors be reflecting? In my master bedroom they would be reflecting the bathroom as that is what is opposite our bed (no other way to lay our room out) so I wouldn't necessarily choose to reflect that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question, CRL, whenever you are placing a mirror. In this case the bed faces french doors to a deck and the ocean, which was one reason I thought of mirrors. Of course given angles and muntins and pendants and such, I probably won't see much at all but me heading to bed!

BTW, if you want a mirror somewhere but it doesn't reflect something you'd want double of, using an antiqued mirror instead.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

We have a large mirror in our living room - it belonged to my grandparents. When we first hung it, we noticed ourselves in it every time we walked into the room, but soon we didn't even notice.

We have a mirrored headboard, and found the same thing - once you get used to it, you don't see yourself climbing into bed! But the reflected light from the window on the opposite wall is wonderful.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Mtn, just looked on Houzz for a few minutes and there seems to be more symmetry in nightstands when they use mirrors behind them. Some were different, but the same height and it looked ok. The ones that were very different seemed off balance. You see the mirrors and expect symmetry in the reflection! The table lamps were also symmetrical and they need to be at the same height or it looked off. Not as big an issue for you since you are using pendants.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I love mirrors because they add brightness and sparkle to a room so I say yes. Like the idea of matching nightstands since you'll have matching mirrors - not a necessity but is visually appealing to me and calming to the eye. Great idea, mtn!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so glad I asked, since I thought mirrors would not work well with the pendants, but y'all seem to be in favor.

Thanks, Arapaho.
    Chispa, I guessed as much. If it doesn't snow, we are going to Maine tomorrow. I need to see what I have.

Annkh, a mirrored headboard! Brave.

So, now we need to figure out what mirrors? I am totally open.

So far I found this:

Is there a mirror math here I need to follow; eg, where x is the mirror width and y is the height of the mirror...

x cannot be less then 20", the pendant width
    and y + nightstand height

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Mirrors flanking the bed is a lovely idea.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

As long as the mirrors aren't going above the bed I say go for it. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wait, wait, I've got it. Bamboo! Like the blinds in the MBA (see below). I can just go to a frame shop, and then I can get the perfect size.... which would be?

Nashville, Can you imagine? How distracting! I think i prefer the (wholly inaccurate) lovelier images in my mind's eye!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

mtn, do you have nightstands yet? Once you determine those, then you can figure out sizing for mirrors I think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Apropos of nothing really, isn't this lovely?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic about last photo! Mirrors leaning over the bed seem like a bad idea, specially now that I live in CA.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Absolutely with the view they will be reflecting.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Love the look but could absolutely not have mirrors where I slept. I even have to cover up mirrors when I stay in hotel rooms. The movement out of the corner of my eye in the middle of the night has given me more frights than I can count! But the look is really beautiful, so if you don't read too much Lovecraft or Stephen King or Justin Cronin like I do, you're good. Lol!

This style mirror would be perfect.

{{!gwi}}
    from Carvers' Guild

from Wayfair

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Here are mine, not a great photo but i love the look.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

The nightstands if not matching should be about the same size, I think. And since you aren't having lamps, no need to worry that they lamps won't be the same height. If you were using lamps I would have suggested books or something raise the lower one up so that the top of the shades were closer to even.

I just think the side tables need to balance each other. And both have to be wide enough to support the size of the mirror visually.

Tables first, then mirrors.

Mirror math. Love that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mitch, very elegant.

Bee, good point!

Geokid, I think it hs to be plain since the drum hangs in front of it? This one comes in a zillion colors>

• geokid
    10 years ago

Oh, right. Drums in front of it. Really like your choice then.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love the idea except for one potential issue...we often turn our clocks away to keep the light from shining on us and it does help us sleep better. It's amazing how even a little light can be disturbing. If they are turned toward a mirror, it might not help. Also if the mirrors reflect early morning light into the room, it could wake you up, unless you are going with room darkening WT. I think bedside pendants are fab too.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I love mirrors, but really wouldn't particularly like to see myself constantly as I get in and out of bed; so my vote would be no. If you don't mind that, then it's a pretty look.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree! Clocks in hotels can drive me crazy. My clock is unlit unless you touch it. Not sure if i'd even have a clock, as I tend to use my iphone now.

In re waking up with the sun, we have no WT at all in our 1st floor master suite in CT. Neither did the PO, who was otherwise not much for minimalism. The only downside is sunlight. I wear eye masks like the airlines give you, DH doesn't care (about the sunlight .. or i guess if i am masked, either).

But, I did go back and read your treatise on WT, including the CDT link. And now I want WT everywhere! LOL. (oh and she had lots of bamboo blinds too!)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Since the mirrors are somewhat the visual equivalent of windows, I'd try to size them like windows would be in those places. I think that depends somewhat on the other windows in the space. I also agree the size of the mirrors needs to relate to the nightstands--I think the mirrors should be narrower than the nightstands as shown in the picture in the original post.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I like the look as well, and agree the mirrors are good standins for windows. The mirror should be the same width of the nightstand---- those pix look best (best propportions) to me. If you are going down this route I would absolutely use matching nightstands since you will be using matching mirrors. The nightstands already have the bamboo thing going on, so could you find a mother of pearl type frame for the mirrors? Love bamboo but not for nightstands AND mirrors, and those nightstands are lovely.

or a lovely capiz shell frame!

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 17:02

• suero
    10 years ago

If you go with the faux bamboo nightstands, which are 22 1/2" wide, you'll need a mirror no wider than that. Your pendant lamps are 20" wide, which doesn't leave much room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CRL, IN the actual bedroom, the only other "windows" are french doors to the deck and fr doors to the tub/dressing area. Even in the tub area, you have doubles, and the only single window is in an alcove. So in this case I can probably choose whatever size fits the bed, space, and pendants.

KSWL, Yes, if I go with the bamboo n/s, nix the bamboo mirrors. Capiz is a nice idea, wonder if my framer has that so I can do a custom size...

Suero, You saved me the trouble of doing that! I think the nightstands are too small (narrow) for the pendants. I also think that the mirror needs to have a very narrow frame, as the glass within the frame should be at least as wide as the 20" diameter of the pendant. See, mirror math.

• suero
    10 years ago

Mtn,

Yup. That's what I concluded when I stacked the mirror, pendant and nightstand. Notice that in your inspiration room the nightstands are almost as wide as they are high.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Demilune table? Blue, top left. Like the drawers since they will be used as nightstands. No size available.

Here is a link that might be useful: demilune table