Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chijim

A cozy kitchen nook

chijim
11 years ago

It's the home Mark D Sikes& Michael Griffen

The rest of their house has been decsribed as The New Traditional.

Comments (29)

• teeda
    11 years ago

I love it!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I love that kitchen!

I have a slightly different angle saved in my pinterest boards...

{{!gwi}}

Source: taradillard.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

• texasbet
    11 years ago

I could see it better if that stupid pop up ad would get off my screen. If anyone believes these help sell things, they are wrong. It just makes me vow *never* to buy what they are selling because they are so annoying.

But yeah, from what I can see, I LOVE it! Looks very comfy and cozy.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Just-- wow!

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

I love the whole layout! The kitchen looks so cozy and inviting. I've always loved the feel of bookcases built around doors and windows, seems to add to the coziness. Love the plants and accessories and carrara marble.
    Will save to my clippings. Thanks for sharing!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Sorry - I now realize that was a duplicate. I am having trouble with the pop ups too!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

New Traditional yes, but also fresh, eclectic, elegant! Love it!

Looks as if they have the same problem with tilting candles that I sometimes do. Takes time to add museum wax to keep them straight.

Thanks for posting.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I am the odd girl out...I find it in many ways very generic and Homegoodsesque. I like the wallpaper dining room but the other rooms look very Ct newbuild 2005 to me. The stripe rugs, zebra rug, sisal rugs. ottoman bench coffee table, drum shade pendants and woven roman blinds are all things I see in homegoods and every mcmansion today:( I think it lacks personality and looks very unoriginal for the most part. But I do like the feel of the dining room. Sorry It just sems soso at best to me. :( Liked your last room much more:).

• madtown_2006_gw
    11 years ago

Pretty!

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Very pretty kitchen area. I think sitting in front of that window with my morning coffee would just be perfect!
    Diane

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

What a beautiful space...

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Roarah took the words right out of my mouth! Yes new traditional, yes generic, yes 'Homegoodsesque'(even though I love Homegoods). Too much white for my taste, and again, TOO Pottery Barn.

While it is attractive, the first room was my favorite, but I *am* a bit old school.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I'm not seeing the "homegoodsesque" here. At all.

I'm loving the built-ins for the books.

The dining room is absolutely lovely.

The only thing that feels off to me is the scale of the skin rug - I think it needs to be larger. I'd also like to see some more blue accents in that room (pillows?)

All in all, I'd be very happy in that space. Thanks for sharing!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

"New traditional" is a silly phrase for that style. It's not traditional, new or old.

• roarah
    11 years ago

By homegoodsesque I mean to say that the home seems to be an explosion of all big trends from 2000 to 2010. The animal prints, the white STGG kitchen, the over sized drum pendants, the mix of Ikat pillows, etc. The books shelves are lovely but this room is too trendy, in my opinion, to be great design. It is only missing the faux antlers. It is very "bloggy" but that does not mean it is ugly, it is pleasant enough, just not exceptional.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 16:44

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Chijim - how do you post multiple photos on one post?

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's Cote De Tx blogger Joni's take on their house.

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2011/11/finding-personal-inspiration.html

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Chijim - how do you post multiple photos on one post?"

You just continue adding the same way after the first--the GW message board is a lot easier in that regard over other boards-- like HGTV's, where each has to be another separate post.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I bumped the how to thread Janice.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Apparently BH&G has used the 'coined' phrase to describe a space with blended decorating elements. High end decorators have also used the term in describing a newly restyled/decorated room in magazine articles. I don't understand the difference between eclectic and new traditional, so maybe there one and the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: article

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Apparently BH&G has used the 'coined' phrase to describe a space with blended decorating elements. High end decorators have also used the term in describing a newly restyled/decorated room in magazine articles. I don't understand the difference between eclectic and new traditional, so maybe there one and the same."

New Trad it still trad, just freshened up.

IMO, I think well done eclectic is harder to pull off because you're creating the rules.

"Eclectic" is a popular adjective in interior design parlance, meaning a decor that comprises heterogeneous elements � a mixture of textures, time periods, styles, trends, and colors. There is a fine line, however, between a beautifully eclectic room and a room that is merely haphazard and chaotic, with no unifying themes or motifs.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Oooh, oooh! I got dibby's on the gold and marble top console table!

Love the whole kitchen/nook area. Not crazy about the rest of the house though.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Again, this isn't "new traditional." That's just a marketing phrase. Roarah is right that the house is a blender full of popular trends for the past decade, down to the Christopher Peacock-esque lighting and cabinet latches, all whipped together.

There's nothing that speaks to an updated traditional environment. There's no reference to tradition, really.

Eclectic has been around for a very long time and is not the name of this modish style.

It's nice but it looks exactly like the Williams-Sonoma home catalog when it first came out and carried nicer furniture.

• kitschykitch
    11 years ago

I like it, really what's not to like?

But I don't think it's newsworthy.

I think, subject to a minimum budget and a house with good bones (how many people with neighbors that close get to look at lovely aged brick?), that this home or ones very like it is being created in most upscale East Coast homes as we type.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Why would one want to highlight how similar a designer's home is to one's own home? Doesn't that usually speak of a lack of originality? Oh, look, there's my blue and white porcelain, there's my Peacock redux cabinet and countertop, there's my sisal-esque rug, there's my Gracie wallpaper (LOL, that one I would take in a heartbeat), etc.
    This place reminds me a bit of Bunny Williams' Dominican Republic house. I think that's what is meant by the "new traditional." In other words, certain elements have become so ubiquitous, in high and low versions, that the amalgam deserves a style classification of its own. Save a few pieces, there is nothing unattractive there. I do think the decor represents a certain "Look." Actually, a couple of certain looks, as the dining room (my favorite) differs from the rest.

• chijim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a few more pics

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Love all the photos and what a great way to start my day!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jim for posting more photos of this amazing home. I've saved every one for future inspiration.

I agree somewhat with roarah there are a lot of ubiquitous items mostly in the kitchen altho do like it overall. The rest of the house has many interesting and more original pieces and I like the use of pattern and texture. I adore those blue and white tiles in the bathroom, reminds me of the tiles I admired so much in Spain.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Thank you Jim. I especially love the* black* beadboard in the bathroom, so sophisticated!! And the outside space, TDF!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022