Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_warm_mama_1_gw

Frames - Frames - Frames & More Frames

pink_warm_mama_1
10 years ago

Have just downsized to a much smaller area but still have many mirrors, pictures. Some are family pictures, some are antique prints, some are photos I took during my serious amateur photography days, some are gifts - all enjoyed by me. However, when I look at the gathering of silver frames, gold frames, brown wood frames, black frames and colored frames, I am at a loss as to how to combine to find a happy meeting between them.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Do a search on "gallery wall" and check out the images for ways to combine large numbers of disparate items. Alternatively, you could group them by frame type and do gallery walls in different rooms or unite the frames by painting them the same color.

• ashef
    10 years ago

You can always change a frame's color -- It's easy to paint picture frames. Here are some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture frame ideas

• vera11
    10 years ago

a wall of pictures is a decor must for todays look..maybe u have a room a bedroom or (an office maybe) where u could do the entire wall..do a google search for "wall of pictures"..

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I think it's possible to combine one metallic with a color, for example your silver frames would look good with the black ones and the gold ones with the brown. I think it would be difficult to successfully combine all the differently colored frames you have in one gallery wall. Depending on the color and the color scheme of the room the colored ones might work with one of the metallics. Otherwise it's easy to paint wood frames.

Consider using all walls for arrangements - hallways, foyer, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen are all places one can put arrangements of framed art altho often we only think of using them in LR's and DR's.

You may have to change frames for the subject matter to work with the colors. You could mat a smaller picture into a larger frame. Not perhaps as easy to reduce a large picture to fit a smaller frame but some could be trimmed or professionally resized.

Have fun with this. What I usually do when planning an arrangement of multiple frames is to lay it out on the floor until I like the arrangement. A bit like an unorthodox jigsaw puzzle! :D

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

If it's possible to put a mat in the frames, I think having all white matting in all of the frames with proportional picture openings would help pull the frames together.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Search for "gallery wall" on pinterest.

Unless the colors are really obnoxious, I'd hang them up in an impressively large collection where the thing they have in common is that you like them.

You can easily spray paint a picture frame if you want to change some of the colors.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

A woman who posts here has a blog called AtticMag I think? I believe she had an article about this on her blog.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. Remember I'm in an apartment with a definite lack of space. One of my hangups has been combining silver with gold as that seems jarring to me. (For instance, have gold mirrors and frames above my bureau, but am also using my mother's old silver veggie servers and the like to hold jewelry or whatever on the bureau.) Yes, gold and brown do go together if only the picture contents meld. Sometimes it's tough being a Virgo, but I am progressing - if slowly. Thank you again.