Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you have for a pull down on your attic stairs?

Posted by natal (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 11:54

On the pull down in the addition we put a handle, but that means I need a grab pole to access it. The original attic stair pull down has an ugly old rope hanging from it. Makes for quick access, but it looks like crap. Since we're finally painting that hallway I want to find something nicer to use. Could always go with the handle again. Just curious what everyone else uses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you have for a pull down on your attic stairs?

We have a small, very plain, white porcelain knob. DH can reach it, but I need a step stool.

o

I'd like to hear ideas, too. Ours currently has a dirty nylon rope with a tacky plastic knob. I considered replacing that with a simple knob the color of the attic door, but I know DH will veto that, since we're both too short to reach it without a step ladder.

We don't use that attic to store anything, but still want easy access to the space.

I had an idea to use a decorative chain and ball (like for a ceiling fan) but decided that it would just call attention to the door, which I want to be as invisible as possible.

My current plan is to just replace the cord and knob with something that matches the door and make the cord just long enough so that we can reach it. Still tacky, but at least it would be clean and (hopefully) inconspicuous.

o

Well we have a pull down like this too, but never gave much thought to how it looked since it was just in our exercise room. However it's not our grandson's play/bedroom when he's here so it would be nice to change that lovely white cord with plastic ball end.

Now that you've mentioned it I think I'll attach an eye screw to the pull down door and a cup hook to the end of a stained wooden dowel that can be stored behind a door or even hung from another cup hook attach to the edge of the door trim.

o

I'm curious about this too!!

My access is smack in the middle of my master closet and the rope is always in the way and I have yet to figure out a functional and visually appealing solution. In the meantime, I just tuck my ugly crappy rope/plastic thing behind the clothing rod (ha)!

o

I also disliked the ugly nylon rope with plastic knob at the end and replaced them with a decorative nickel toned chain anyplace a decorative ceiling fan pull at the end.

o

Not only do we have the ugly rope with the plastic pull on the end, but for goodness knows what reason, DH decided to trim out around the pull-down door with trim that is the same as around doors and windows. Really? We want to draw MORE attention to this lovely aspect of our home (in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms of our ranch)? Jeepers.

o

Anyplace should have been AND PLACED above

o

Since my attic access in my current house is in my garage ceiling, I have an old dog leash attached to the eye bolt to pull it down. However, in my previous house I had an eyebolt, and just like justgatabme mentioned, we kept the dowel and hook behind a door nearby.

Helene

o

I think I'll attach an eye screw to the pull down door and a cup hook to the end of a stained wooden dowel

Dh used a handle instead of an eye screw, but he did the same as you're thinking ... attached a cup hook to the end of a wooden dowel that's stored in the nearby utility closet.

I'd rather have something on this one that I can easily grab without a pole and definitely don't want something that requires a stepstool.

Txcountrygal, what does your nickel toned chain look like?

o

An ugly rope. Now I'm thinking I need to change it...sigh.

o

I have an ugly new rope! It's recessed into the door though, if that makes sense.

o

natal wrote: On the pull down in the addition we put a handle, but that means I need a grab pole to access it.

Well duh, I know where the idea in my head came from then. That's what I get for reading one post at a time interrupted my hubby and kitties countless times before I finally take the time to post. Well that and the pain meds I'm on.

o

Ours is an eyebolt with pole stored nearby in a closet. But, we only use the attic to change the HVAC filters so we don't access it often.

I like the look of the decorative knobs. However, it sounds like you want something within reach.

How about a decorative bead/ball at the end of the rope and covering the rope with one of those fabric chandelier chain covers?

o

Mine is located in the laundry rooom and has an ugly nylon cord attached. Hmmm . . . surprised that someone has not invented something better to market.

o

I don't have access points like that in this house, but in a rental we lived in many moons ago we had the ugly cord, but since it was in the kitchen it drove me nuts. Since the access was near a corner I changed the cord out for a piece of thin tapestry (maybe 9 inches wide) which I bought in a scrap bin. I but a thin binding on it and hung a pretty tassel on the pointed end with the goal of making it look like an old servants bell pull I'd seen in a Victorian house. My sil liked it so much she did one as well but she embroidered service on hers :). No servants ever came when you pulled either but at least they were pretty lol.

Now a quick note from the safety commission......if your drop down ladder is an older Werner ladder you should check it's serial numbers with recall sites. They have literally killed or caused significant brain damage due to a part that fails and causes the thing to slam down on your head when you pull them down. I learned this after another Werner ladder that had been recalled failed when I used it, causing me to lose our second baby and breaking my wrist very badly. The recall notices were posted in ladder areas of home improvement stores but who goes there if they already have a ladder? Werner went banko over the attic ladder so if you have one you end up assuming the cost if a new one, but it's cheap in comparison to permanent brain damage or death of you or a family member so pretty please.....check if your ladder is over five years old?

Off my ladder soap box and sorry ab

o

natal -

Ours looks like this one, but is in nickel/pewter:

Photobucket

o

Is that the same as a light or fan pull chain? I wouldn't think it would be strong enough to pull down stairs.

o

I found the nickle/pewter (not sure which it is) "tassle" end in the ceiling fan section of a home improvement store. But, I ran across the chain (it's similar but not identical) at a thrift store - I'm not sure what it was originally used for - DH reinforced it with a piece of hardware on the underside of the pull-down door (the attic side of the door that you don't see)). My camera's acting up, so I can't post a pic right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here