Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Desperately Need Windows Coverings but Can't Decide

aloha2009
12 years ago

I have literally been looking for months for window treatments. I go around and around and come to the realization that I'm going to have to concede to something but I'm not sure what ultimately should be conceded to.

We have awesome views from all the windows (which is most of the house) to the North. We have a few houses that from across the lake they could see into our house with binoculars.

We like to keep things simple, sophisticated and elegant. We absolutely don't want to distract from the view. On the other hand, it would be nice to darken the bedroom to sleep in past sunrise. Keeping the rooms warmer during the winter could be an added plus.

In the great room, we've thought of putting simple wood casing around the windows drawing the eye in more to the windows and given a finished treatment. I also thought floor to ceiling grommet drapes would look fabulous but I'm afraid it might take away from the view.

In the bedroom we have a 3 sided partially hexagon shaped bump out with a walkout to the balcony/deck. I initially thought I wanted floor to ceiling grommet drapes because of the great stacking, but they sometimes come across as heavy and a bit cluttered for my tastes. We've thought of putting silhouettes like we have in the dinette area (from PO) but seemed to casual for what I like. I love shutters but they are out of the question for these windows with a view (we are putting some in the front room that has only a glimpse of another lake and of neighboring houses).

We have 2 broken wedgewood blinds from the PO and so we are in desperaton to get something for the bedroom (the great room needs it but we can get by.

Enough of my ranting, I need help.

How did you weigh out the priorities in window treatments?

Comments (6)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Grommet drapes are not easy to open and close unless the Grommet is much larger than the rod.

I used ripple fold on a project with good views, they stack really flat:

The sheers are closed in the after but you can see that the relatively heavy drapes stack pretty narrow. The rod gives them their shape, they are flat when you take them down.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright as usual you understand my tastes beautifully Palimpsest. Now if you only understood my pocketbook. The ripple fold drapery though is spot on.

Is there anyway to get close to this look w/o spending $1000+ per window treatement.

• amykath
    12 years ago

Check out this site...maybe something to your liking and budget?

Here is a link that might be useful: Panels

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention that the ceilings heights are 9 & 10'. I haven't had trouble finding grommet drapes, I just keep going back and forth on the "heavy" feeling draperies can give you.

The ripple fold drapes can appear almost invisible, just too bad the price is invisible (out of sight) too.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Since the ripplefold is basically flat fabric with a sew on header that snaps onto a traveler in the rod, these are relatively easy to fabricate (as far as custom goes). We did sheers and drapes on three walls of glass--corner to corner and soffit to floor, and I think it was about the same as traditional pleated drapery for one of these large walls of glass.

You should consider pricing it out, anyway, through a local person like we did rather than a big place like The Shade Store.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Palimpsest, here you are bailing me out of being stuck (introduced me to back painted glass) I've never seen these IRL but I really like the look of them a lot. The little reading I did today on it acted as if doing these were very labor intensive which drove the costs up. Thanks for showing the price can be more realistic. I'll start checking things out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the direction.