Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Can you help with finishing up my kitchen please?

natureperson
10 years ago

I am trying to finish up my kitchen, and it needs something on the bare wall, probably a tall, skinny lamp on the left side of the TV on the buffet (as you face the buffet), something on the table, etc. Do you have any ideas? Someone had suggested a large vertical piece of art for the bare wall to add color.

What do you all think? I'll add all my pics to help you get a better idea of what the entire kitchen looks like.

All suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks for your help, as always.

Comments (16)

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

two

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

four

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

five

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This should help you help me.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I think you could get a colorful rug for under your table. Nothing more on the walls. And I would lower your TV about 4 inches. I don't think a lamp is necessary but if you wanted one on the right side (facing the TV) that would look nice.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, grandmaof3. A colorful rug under the table sounds like a good idea. I had even thought of putting a runner in my kitchen on the other side to add some color over there.

You don't think that one empty wall needs something?

I would like to lower the TV, but my DH wants it where it is so he can see it from the other part of the kitchen while cooking. As for the buffet lamp, I though the other side of the buffet was calling for a little height since the plant gave it some height on the other side. No?

I know my table needs something. Maybe a vase of flowers or something else?

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I really like your wall color!

I'd put a large colorful unframed modern painting on that blank wall.

Something simple on the table such as a bowl of apples, a bowl of moss, a small tray with pebbles, a small plant, or a pillar candle in a hurricane. Could be changed seasonally such as a bowl of pinecones in winter or naturally colored blown eggs for spring. Use a serving bowl you already have and put something in it. Google modern table centerpieces for ideas.

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I like the idea of large colorful art on the blank wall or a rug if you like rugs under tables. Personally I would opt for something on the wall.

I understand the height of the tv for viewing purpose but my only suggestion for that area would be filling some of the gap between the tv and top of the bookshelf. I see something not too high but horizontal with some color or greenery.

• carolssis
    10 years ago

What about using a favorite bowl or platter for a centerpiece on the table. Not too large, the table isn't, so don't use too big a piece. A rug would be nice. I would wait to put anything on that wall. One day you'll see something you absolutely love, and that will be the thing to go there. Don't be in a hurry. Some things take time. It looks fine now. Wondereful color and layout, hope you'll really enjoy it.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think getting rugs for all three open areas - runners on the two strips in the kitchen and a rug under the table, is a great idea.

For the wall, I'd get a narrow hutch, something along these lines. One can never have too much storage space. You could keep your dishes in there, making setting the table easy.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

This would be kinda cool on your table, a modern lazy susan, kind of giving your table a triple tier look, with a small vase of flowers of something in the center.

Also, useful!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I like the idea of the rugs, wall art, and the modern lazy susan. I've never seen a lazy susan like that. Whenever I think of putting a shallow piece of furniture against that wall, it starts to seem too crowded for the space. And I hesitate to put another dark piece of furniture on that wall.

I will work on the suggestions you have made and see how it looks.

Thank you again.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree with a tall buffet lamp on the left side (facing the TV). I misspoke (or my fingers typed wrong...lol) It will offset the tall plant. I do love your dining area. As far as something for the table....how about a pretty bowl with fruit in it. When/if you get a rug for under the table, that may be enough color and something glass (a bowl, compote, candle sticks, etc) may be enough. It would sparkle from the light from the windows.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would want to add texture to the room as right now there are a lot of hard surfaces, so for the blank wall, rather than art work, I'd think about a textile....an art quilt or a rug that picks up on the red wall color.

[Contemporary Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2103) by Austin Interior Designers & Decorators Mark Ashby Design

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

grandmaof3, thanks for clarifying that. I thought you must have met that the lamp should go on that side. I also think the rug might be what is needed.

Annie, thanks for the suggestion. I think you are right that I need some softness to offset all the hard surfaces. Textiles on the wall may do it. I also wonder if rugs or even curtains to frame the wide windows and a valance on the window above the sink would work and also tie the two area together more. I like the openness to the outside, but maybe I need to frame it with some soft color?

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, is there any reason I have to add color to the kitchen that goes with the colors in my granite? I have Baltic Brown granite, and I keep thinking I have to use these colors in rugs, window treatments, or anything else I do.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm