Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Hep me find a coffee table

nanny2a
10 years ago

This is the new couch that we have just purchased. I am looking for coffee table suggestions, since the one we currently have is much too rustic looking to work with this couch. I need a rectangular coffee table. The couch is 81" long. Other pieces in the room are two matching navy club chairs, with an antique Clarks cabinet in between the chairs.

What would you suggest that would tie these all together well?

This post was edited by nanny2a on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 11:45

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Love, love, love that sofa! Who makes it? I love English Roll Arm sofas.

I had a client once who had two of those long, English roll arm sofas, and they had a GORGEOUS huge rustic/barn wood, heavy coffee table. It was beautiful and worked very well together.

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

Pretty! My first thought would be something that is light and open to balance the blocks of color created by the chairs, chest, and sofa. Maybe you could reference the curves in roll arms and the chest labeling too. So much depends on your personal style, the other elements in the room and the size and shape of the space. You have a lot of options, but here's where my mind went:

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, funny you should say that, this is the coffee table that we currently have, that I thought would be too rustic. It was custom made out of reclaimed Montana barnwood. Maybe I should wait until the couch is delivered before looking for a replacement?

The couch is from Havertys, I have been looking for a tight back couch forever, and this one worked well for us.

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TheRedHouse, I love that third glass table you selected, but unfortunately, DH doesnâÂÂt! He doesnâÂÂt like glass tabletops.....

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Beautiful sofa! I also like your coffee table so I'd wait until you see how they look together.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That coffee table is gorgeous! It's actually the carpet that throws it off. Consider replacing the carpet with a nice wool carpet with a simple railroad pattern, or some kind of sisal rug. Those will work with both the table and the sofa.

Tight back is the way to go, IMO. At the very least, the attached "loose" cushion backs. Loose cushions get so out of shape so quickly and destroy the look of sofas. Looked for a long time for the right English roll arm sofa, but couldn't find one. Wish I'd seen the Haverty!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, what's a railroad pattern?

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Since it looks like you are replacing an "L" sofa, if I am seeing that correctly, I would use a nice soft ottoman to make up for the reduced seating. If you keep a tray for it, you can always use it as a coffee table that way.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'm not really using the term "Railroad" correctly here. It's really a term for fabrics having to do with how they're woven, the direction, etc. They just happen to tend to be small, repeat patterns which give a fabric texture but don't overpower it with patterns.

So I was thinking of a nice wool carpet that has a subtle repeat pattern, i.e.: small diamonds, that sort of thing. Or a natural fiber, like jute or sisal, which has texture and warmth and would got very well with all of her furniture, I think. The are some gorgeous rugs out there now.

Check out this "Zodiac Aged Bronze. Gorgeous, and with that sofa and coffee table and side table? Bee-yoo-ti-ful.

(Copy and paste link and open it in a second tab. I'll put one direct link on here).

http://theperfectrug.com/steps.php?mat=9629&step=1&cat=62&page=1&gclid=CJ2929OHsbwCFaxxOgodXDkAiQ#steps

Or this one - Cirque Aged Bronze (shoot now I want to change my carpet having found these!)

http://theperfectrug.com/steps.php?mat=9629&step=1&cat=62&page=1&gclid=CJ2929OHsbwCFaxxOgodXDkAiQ#steps

Or the one in the direct link: Pathway Aged Bronze. They all come in other colors too. I happen to like dark browns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pathway Aged Bronze Sisal

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 18:05

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Shoot! The links didn't come out right, don't take you to the correct rugs.

Check out Zodiac Aged Bronze, Cirque Aged Bronze, and Pathway Aged Bronze on that site. Sorry. Don't know why it didn't work.

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Although the rug is new, I do see that the pattern doesnâÂÂt work with these other pieces of furniture. I guess it could be used on my master bedroom screened porch. I had just ordered a new sisal rug for that over the weekend, which I can swap out in the LR to see how it works. Great ideas, everyone!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It's a nice rug. Dining room, maybe? It's very formal, compared to the rusticity of the coffee table. The Haverty sofa will go with anything.

Now I want that Cirque Aged Bronze sisal rug for myself! Wow'd by it.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 8:54

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

Wow, on my monitor the colors of your oriental rug seem to look great with the sofa and pillows. But the coffee table seems a bit heavy looking. I think the rustic style coffee table that would look good would be one with the rustic top and metal legs RH style since your DH doesn't like glass tops. I actually prefer an ottoman these days, but I'd change out my coffee table much quicker than a new rug unless you really think IRL it doesn't work.