Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Punched Tin Linen Closet Door Inserts

oldbat2be
10 years ago

We are building a linen closet and have received the front face frame, doors and drawers. The closet is being built in the nook right around the corner from this, and will have walls on both sides and at the back. I'm considering punched tin door inserts, both for the look and the air flow.

Here's how it will look, with doors and drawer fronts taped in place:

If you have any favorite sources for the punched tin or have other ideas for air flow, I'd like to hear.

Thanks!

(edited to update with better picture)

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 8:21

Comments (21)

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Won't punched tin tend to snag the towels and linens?

Maybe woven cane, if you want air flow and not the usual slats?

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I've had punched tin doors on my two linen closets for the past 20 years and love them. They have never snagged any linens stored there. Jimmy Romero made all of punched tin inserts, bathroom mirrors and light fixtures for us. He was part of the famous Romero Family tinsmiths in Santa Fe. Jimmy died in 2010 at the age of 73, but his sister and brother-in-law, Rosalie & Jim Sacoman, are still doing punched tin, I believe. Jim learned the craft from Jimmy and Rosalie's parents, so I'm sure they are good. The name of their business in Santa Fe is Jim's Tin.
    Lynn

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks birdgardner and lynninnewmexico. I'm kicking myself a little here because while I may have discussed considering door inserts with my designer at some point in the past, they actually came as a surprise (who can read these complex documents!), because I was expecting a solid door panel in the door style I selected.

That's ok though! Key now is to select a material which will work well with the adjacent rooms. (Then, I'll figure out door hinges, new door handles, hardware, etc.). I've gone rather modern/sleek with the lighting, but also more traditional with the furniture.

From the bathroom, you can see the space in the next small 'room'. Think of the linen closet as being behind the toilet.

From the family room, looking over to the left, the view looks like:

Edited to add: Forgot to mention. I love the punched tin insert with colored cabinets, but am not sure I've love them with off white cabinet/frame.

Perhaps a darker wire insert would be much more fun?

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 23:25

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Louvers?

BTW What are the built ins over the toilet? I like your tile choices.

• smalloldhouse
    10 years ago

I'm outing myself now as the world's most obsessive lurker, but I remember a beautiful kitchen - by user name cotehele - that used punched tin inserts in some cabinet doors. I have a closet door to deal with in renovating my tiny kitchen and since it leads to the utility area I figured tin might be a way to ensure air flow without using love red doors, which I hate. Waiting for spring and a new contractor before anything is finalized so i cant speak to real life experience. Anyway, here's a link to the thread where the punched tin inserts are discussed. The whole kitchen is just awesome, there are many more threads with photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of cotehele's tin inserts

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitsykitch - No louvers, please. DH made the built-ins, here's a shot of the insides. (That dog photo-bombs just about every picture I take!).

smalloldhouse - thanks! You're not the only one who's obsessed over cotehele's kitchen, it's lovely. Hope you are able to use the punched tin door.

Ive also considered antique mirrored glass. But how to ventilate in this case...

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 8:23

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Striped glass:

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

OB2B, no suggestions I just wanted to say hello! I miss seeing your wonderful projects.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like the textured glass but are you not then back to no ventilation.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Yes, is ventilation an issue? Or dust?

Chicken wire?

or cane?

Here is a link that might be useful: buying cane weave

• teeda
    10 years ago

I'd look into decorative metal grilles. There's a link below to one company that makes some nice ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal grilles

• teeda
    10 years ago

Something like this could be nice--with fabric shirred behind it?

Here is a link that might be useful: more metal grilles

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I love this one from the site WMA89 posted.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Holly-Kay - nice to see your name pop up!

lyban - I'm rethinking the ventilation. nosoccermom - pretty! You raise a point I hadn't thought about - dust. I can only imagine how much dust (and dog hair) I would find with an open chickenwire like that.

WMA89 - thank for the links and picture. I don't think I like the dark grills with the white cabinet, though.

I went through my Bendheim glass samples and think I have a winner - Mission Opalescent Beige.

This is around $11 / square foot, not bad.

And just because I spent some time on the Bendheim website, for your viewing pleasure, look at this stunning glass ($50/ square foot). It's their 'Restoration Mirror'. I want to find a use for this but key with mirrors, is what's being reflected. (This cabinet is not the right place I'm afraid).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendheim Cabinet Glass

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I love that linen closet door style. Might do something like that in my master bath remodel. I prefer the chicken wire look and the striped glass.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I love the pierced tin stars.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

The thing about linen closets is that most of them end up looking cluttered and messy on an everyday basis. I know mine do and I'm pretty good about keeping things neat in there. My towels are not all white or even all of one or two colors. I have a few nice sheet sets that are lacy and white or cream, but I also have a couple pretty print sets from Ralph Lauren. All look great on my beds, but visible through chicken wire or glass . . . NOT (LOL) ! My linen cabs are not magazine ready gorgeous with just a few perfectly folded towels and sheet sets. They're kind of crammed, but nicely so, with sheets, towels, extra blankets, etc. When I was planning my own linen cabs in two of our bathrooms, I decided to go with something that would look good from the outside and hide the contents. The (punched tin) doors I chose work wonderfully with my home's décor; the linens inside absolutely do not (LOL)!
    Lynn

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi rtwilliams... we (I use the term loosely) are thrilled with the inset door style - only wish I'd known when we spec'd out the kitchen. Thank you for posting the picture, I've admired it many times and looked up the MFR as well.

eandhl - thanks, I like those too very much. However, with the creamy white color cabinet I picked (same as my kitchen so well do I know the color!), a dark glass/combination is dissatisfying. As soon as I realized this, I moved on to a glass insert, vs. tin.

Lynn - you are SPOT ON! If not a display case, do not showcase contents!!

And to be honest... it may not end up being a linen closet. I just called it that for lack of a better label. It may end up being overflow shoe storage (mine of course!) and I may even give DH some real estate. The only thing purposed so far are the lower drawers, which will hold afghans/small comforters for use in the family room.

Exciting (and slightly scary) update. I ordered these Wednesday morning and went to work questioning my choice. Later in the day, when I received a shipment email, I was sure it was the glass sample I'd included.....

DH most kindly helped unpack and get these ready for pictures and then even told me to post my update before we start dinner. He's one in a million. Thanks for reading and enjoying with me. Look for the construction thread due to start (hopefully) this weekend!

Please ignore the dog hair (and dog) on the carpet.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

That looks stunning, you really have a good eye for decorating.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company