Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Quick ideas - pine cottage

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all!

This is another psychology question. I'm going to see a lake cottage on Saturday. Here's the thing. If I like it, and I think I will, I have to sell my parents-in-law on it. Here's what I know about what they like about cottages:

"Good water view" "Looks cottagey"
"Not too small" "Not dark and dumpy"

My MIL likes that traditional beachy cottage look - think Style At Home. Lots of white, maybe blue painted ceilings, some wood, maybe something like this:

Rustic Bedroom

Or this

Rustic Family Room by Essex Junction Photographers Susan Teare, Professional Photographer

FIL likes golf and big TVs.

So here's the interior of the cottage I'm going to see. Obviously the seller has never heard of staging. Fine by me, keeps the price down.

My question to you is -- what kinds of inspiration photos should I bring to my MIL and FIL to help them envision the place decorated more to their taste?

Also what type of process would you recommend for lighting up the place? For example, all that knotty pine is obviously poly'ed, so I'm assuming white washing is not an option. Just paint, at this point?

Thanks for any advice you can loft my way! I'm picturing myself like one of those people on HGTV with the computer simulation of how the home could look...except way less talented.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 11:41

Comments (15)

• suero
    10 years ago

Virtual decluttering helps. If I had Photoshop, I could probably declutter the table and chairs, but even taking the pictures off the fridge, clearing the countertop and unifying the cabinets helps.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

You could easily wipe a transparent light colored wash on the walls, right over the poly

For your dad, emphasize the low maintenance and big wall for the TV

For your mom ... the airy height and the easy to whitewash walls.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

suero, call me an idiot but I never thought of actually photoshopping the exact same cottage! This is an excellent idea! I'm no photoshopper but I'll have to have a try. I do have access to the program. When I go down on Sat. I'll try to take better pictures! PS How did you do that without photoshop?

lazygardens, I like what I'm hearing about the light wash.

• Jules
    10 years ago

You can "whitewash" over poly. It's not a true whitewash, but it'll work. Search "whitewash before and after" on google and houzz for images. Also suggest slipcovered furniture and white, light colored or SS appliances to lighten and brighten up the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Painted Paneling[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/knotty-to-nice-painted-wood-paneling-lightens-a-rooms-look-stsetivw-vs~15039759)

• peony4
    10 years ago

Agree with above--slips, lighter appliances and whitewashing at least the walls would definitely push this in the beach cottage direction. What a great foundation to work with!

And, yes, emphasis the big wall for a flat screen. Great suggestion, lazygardens. :-)

• peegee
    10 years ago

Is there a downstairs bedroom for them - maybe if not now but later- in case needed -to a lot of people that would be a real selling point more important than decor -

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the ideas! I think photoshop is QUICKLY going to become my friend on this project!! If I could leave the pine ceilings and paint just the walls, my shoulders sure would thank me. I'll have to see how it looks.

peegee - the master suite and laundry are on the first floor, I agree that is a huge selling point. Although, their Canada house has no bedrooms and no possibility for such on the first floor. So it seems they aren't as concerned with that as some of us would be. Their Florida house is completely accessible. I sure wish I were there right now!

There

Here

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 15:10

• Jules
    10 years ago

robo, I just saw this blog post and thought of this thread. Check out the B&A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Cottage B&A

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I LOVE IT! Thanks jujubean!

We went to see the cottage and it was freakin' gorgeous. I really hope my inlaws think so. I actually didn't mind the pine when I was in there -- one of those places that feels nicer than it looks in photos. But if inlaws wanted to paint I'd fire up the sprayer.

Main room

Loft bedroom

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

The big TV would look good, where the piano is in the picture. You could easily paint the walls that are orange...and that might be enough. Otherwise, white washing would lighten things up, too. At least it's a nice 'sandy' tone, which would look great with blues and greens. Have fun! :)

• susiemw
    10 years ago

What did the in-laws think?

Susan

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Waiting, waiting. Fil is in tax season so I don't think he wants to think about it right now.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

OMG that would drive me crazy. Hope it goes well!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I try to be polite, especially since they're not my parents :) no sense shooting the gift horse in the foot!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: thanks for your help! They didn't like the cottage so we're back to square one. I think they're thinking of building now. Visions of summer at the lake are fading...