Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Is Grout Shade an Important Color Element in a Room?

How much impact do these lines have? Because this is actually a color/design issue, I wanted to ask here before trying in baths or kitchen.

Specifically, to what extent will the grout color impact my new , in- progress master bath? I'd really appreciate your thoughts,as this decision will come very soon.

Shower tiles are bone, vanity coming is Calcutta Gold marble, but there is a lot of gray in this slab...overall it appears mostly white-gray.

The travertine floor tiles are a mixture ( Lyon pattern) of tans, beiges, creams. The edges are larger than most, as they"re chiseled, and will display more grout.

I'm a little concerned re. the blending of the mostly gray-white marble with the warm shades in the travertine floor. With the bone crackle tile in the shower and the travertine floor shades, would you think a sand vs. gray might be best? The claw foot tub is white, fixtures worn brass. The wood trim will be cream -white, and walls a light caramel.......bringing out that color in the marble....hopefully.

Would love thoughts/advice on this....TIA!

Awful

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I'm a little concerned re. the blending of the mostly gray-white marble with the warm shades in the travertine floor.

Match, coordinate the grout to the material it's grouting. Think of it all as layers. If you end up needing to blend the gray-white marble with the warm shades, then you do that in between the layers -- you build color bridges. i.e. Use the wall color to marry, blend, bridge the layers.

The only reason a cool gray doesn't seem to "go with" a warm beige in one space is because the divide between the two hasn't been filled in to link them together and create a visual blending.

It's easier if you can keep that divide small or nonexistent to begin with by keeping materials closely aligned in terms of color temperature and undertone, but to assume that it's always feasible to do that is naive. Sometimes color unavoidably doesn't line up all nice, neat and tidy. When it doesn't, you have to know what color solutions to reach for to make it work. And there usually are color strategies to reach for to make just about anything work.

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

I have travertine tile. I didn't use a sand, but more of the warm white that appeared in the travertine. The sand colored grout may appear too dark. Or maybe too warm and then harder to bridge, as funcolors said.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I did the same as andee - light travertine with a grout than blended in and was just slightly lighter than the tile.

• sas95
    12 years ago

We have travertine-look porcelain and also used a warm white that picked up from the lighter shades in the tiles.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I saw a post awhile ago (i think it may have been by Palimpest) that had a link to a tile site. It was very cool - it allowed you to put together tiles in different designs as well as change the grout colour. I couldn't believe what a difference changing the grout colours made - this site really helps you visualize it. I'll try to find the post (I'd like to have the link again too).

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Grout lines are best when not seen (or avoided completely, but that is another discussion).

Blend, match, make them disappear. Prominent grout color is a very dated look.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Is grout an important color element?
    It shouldn't be.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Is grout an important color element?
    Only when it's the wrong color.
    Linda C

• macybaby
    12 years ago

In the den, I wanted to make a bolder statement with the floor.

This room does not get as much dirt/mud/spilled stuff as the kitchen, and after four years the grout is still nice and bright.

In the kitchen, I wanted the grout to blend in. The pattern in the middle has a dark grout, the field tile has a lighter grout. Neither stand out,expect the dark grout around the border tiles.

If you look at the backsplash, that is the same border tile, but used with the lighter grout. You can see how it gives a different look to the same tile.

• deegw
    12 years ago

To me, grout is an important design element as it effects the look of the entire tile installation. I don't think it should be considered as part of the room color scheme.

Grout that contrasts with the tile makes a very different decor statement than grout that blends with the tile.

So, decide how you want your tile to relate to your room and then choose your grout color accordingly.

If you want your tile shape and pattern to stand out and become a focal point, choose a grout color that that is darker or lighter (but the same color family) as your tile.

If you want your tile to appear more cohesive then choose a color that closely matches the predominant color of the tile.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks FC, that makes sense . Andee, juddgirl and sas....that falls into line with FC and what I'd thought. Linda , well said and oh so succint...love it!
    Kswl and pharaoh, believe I disagree. Well, perhaps not an important element, but grout is a factor for me. I have always loved the look of used brick , for example, and it!s uneven, chunky grout. For exteriors, I prefer it to the no- grout of the cobbled , and I like it to be a light color. Dated? I'm not sure. It imparts an antique look to me. Maybe I,ll want to dig it out and shove the stones together ten years from now....we'll see!
    On a thread in baths, a poster stated the tumbled stone look was passé. I assume she was including chiseled as well. Perhaps. I'm no design prognosticator , for sure. Just know I love the look. It looks old, which seems to be my preference in most home features . I even dislike new mirrors with no hazeing or splotching.
    But back to the grout The chiseled lines will show more grout, and you all have really helped me with color choice. Also, looking on Houzz helps me be unafraid of mixing up the whites, creams and beiges. It's so easy to over-focus and worry wart decisions! Thanks so much for your input and helping me 'see' it. Thanks for posting your pics, Macy....very nice. And If you find the grout post,decordummy, I' like to see it.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I looked but I can't find it. It really was a great tool to viualize light grout versus dark. Maybe I'll try a shout out to Palimpest.

Original Author
    12 years ago

A very well thought out, clear reply...helpful, too.....thank you!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

For the Hakatai go to Custom Gradient Tool.
    choose a tile size
    choose a tile palette (drag some coloured squares down to numbered sqaures - at least two colours).
    enter height and width of wall in feet and inches (or leave as is just to get an idea)
    click 'remix gradient'
    choose grout color
    click '+' or '-' to zoom in or out (I had to zoom in a lot)
    choose another grout color
    click '+' or '-' to zoom in or out
    click remix to get different tile combinations with those same colours

I hope it helps you Martinca (thank you Palimpsest and Mudhouse).

Here is a link that might be useful: please see links from Mudhouse

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

You're very welcome (when I read the above I got as far as "notifying GW" & thought I had done something wrong LOL). Don't forgot to post pics when you're finished.

• a1an
    12 years ago

Grout IMO makes or breaks the best tile install.
    Do test boards. It's much easier to visualize and get it right than to to grout and then want to dig it out.

FWIW, and this depends on how good your eyes are, but COLOR is key. Depending on budget, try 1-3 possible colors on your test boards. It may not be a cheap solution, depending on how much you are grouting....

I went through 6 tests, till I got the perfect one for my backsplash. Tried Brand A. Was not right. Tried Brand B. Was not right Brand C on the 6th try was the *perfect* match.

COLOR will always differ between the big dogs. Laticrete, Mapei and my 3rd one - Starquartz

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chefwong, you bring up another grout question: brands, and how important are they? Hmmm, perhaps this should be a new post , and with luck the pros will jump in. My tile contractor is using what looks to be, well, what do I know, but nothing I've seen or heard of, such as the " big dogs " Chefwong referred to. So, do brands matter......anyone?

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Click on link below. Then choose the closest to your color tile. A window will open and at the top of that window it gives you grout color choices. This can give you an idea of how the color of grout can change the over all look of your project. Have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout colorizer.

Original Author
    12 years ago

"......you bring up another grout question: brands, and how important are they? Hmmm, perhaps this should be a new post ....."
    And so I posted this question in Baths. Mongo, bless him, came through with a rapid response. He mentions the two Chefwong called' big dogs', along with one called custom. Go to baths for his reply. Bottom line seems to be it's the method/technique far more than the material.
    Grouting begIns today and I'm no longer concerned. Is this place not amazing ?!

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

This place is amazing, and wonderful.

• a1an
    12 years ago

Brands do matter to a degree.

ITS the color consistency.
    Some brands are better than others...

By going with Epoxy, you are guaranteed no *water* problems / coloration issues. However, cost of the product is more and application is the same. A tile setter will charge more to work with Epoxy.

IMO, I would only use the BIG 3 brands listed above. FWIW, as I tend to DIY, Epoxy or Urethane grouts are the only ones I choose. You pay alot more upfront in materials, but the tradeoffs are worth it.

NOTE: Check your grout dates and batch codes. You want them less than a year old and ALL of them ideally should be of the same batch code