Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Defects in new furniture, seeking advice.

threeapples
10 years ago

Just had this Bradington and Young chair delivered. One of the back feet has a crack in it and the delivery guys scratched the side of the chair while getting it through the kitchen door. Suggestions on how I should handle this would be great. Thanks.

Comments (33)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

send the photos to the salesperson

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the scratches and an overall image. I just emailed these photos to the salesman. How do you think they should handle this issue? This was a $4,000 chair.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

overall

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

The first thing to do is look at the delivery receipt you signed. I would not have accepted the delivery of damaged products...But since you did you will have to follow whatever the signed receipt says. Hopefully you indicated the damage on it?!? And yes, call the salesperson / seller.

I hope you are able to get an undamaged chair.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I can't tell if the leg is part of the frame or connected to the frame??? if connected to the frame, it should be a simple thing to replace. (the store can order a new leg and send the repair person to your house.)

they (you?) may be able to buff out the scratches on the leather.

Good luck.

ML

This post was edited by maddielee on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 12:49

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The delivery receipt is just a credit card charge. They left me with no paperwork. I was so flustered when they were here (had to leave to pick up my child from school and their truck got stuck halfway up our driveway so they had to carry it in the snow). I'm so mad I signed for it.

I called and spoke with the salesman and explained the situation, he said he would forward my photos to the upholstery department and they would get back to me in a few days.

The scratches are deep enough you can feel them with your fingernail so I feel like that's not just cosmetic. I can't tell if the legs are connected to the frame or not, but will check when I have someone here to help me turn it over.

I'm so irritated.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I don't know that I can offer specific advice, but this has happened to me twice.

Once I ordered a Pottery Barn secretary style desk and one of the inside drawers had been seriously chipped because the delivery company assembled the desk and did not bother to protect the drawer banks that can move around inside. The chip did not fall out and become visible until just after the delivery company left. Pottery Barn sent a furniture repair person to fix it. I am not entirely happy about the fix vs replacement, but that was the only option at the time.

The second time was the delivery of a Restoration Hardware sleigh bed. The delivery company somehow chipped the headboard severely and then cracked the footboard because they did not understand how to assemble it. (I had to tell them they were putting it together upside down and then when they were undoing their mistake they wrenched the piece at such a sharp angle as to crack it.) I called Restoration Hardware while the delivery people were there and RH had me keep the bed until a completely new one could be delivered. The next delivery people were more careful (and I was extremely watchful) and now I have a whole new bed without defect.

To me, the lesson is, call the company as soon as you notice the damage. Be polite and ready to send pictures as needed. With luck, the company will honor your expectation of receiving damage free furniture and will resolve the problem soon. Good luck!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

When I had less expensive chairs delivered from Ethan Allen they came thoroughly wrapped. The wrapping was taken off when the chair was in place.

Are you saying that these chairs came in unprotected?

Side note: The chairs i just mentioned had to be returned the first time. There were tiny slits in the arms. Luckily my husband saw them. As it turned out, it was done on purpose by a disgruntled employee.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The chairs were wrapped in a thin plastic, but that's it.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

threeapples, here's a link to BBB for Bradington-Young. I am hoping they will resolve it quickly, not make you wait "days" for a response and that you won't need to file a complaint.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB- Bradington-Young

• violetwest
    10 years ago

for a $4,000 chair I would expect perfection.

. . . okay, I'm still boggling at the price. None of my beeswax, of course, but more power to ya.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Violet, I'm with you. For that price, I would demand perfection. I'd be hopping mad. I'm not sure what part of the chair I'm seeing with the long mark across the leather. I think expecting replacement is not unreasonable.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The area with the scratches in the leather is on one of the "wings." I will demand a new chair.

• three3apples
    10 years ago

I paid a sale price, thankfully.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Just curious, was the plastic torn in the places with the damage? Makes me wonder if the chair left B-Y already damaged or if it occurred during transport. Not that it matters to you!

Agree, with requesting new chair and I wouldn't let the delivery people leave without inspecting first.

• three3apples
    10 years ago

I'm not sure. The delivery guy ripped the plastic off the second he walked in.

I'm irritated I didn't inspect it with them here, but I was really preoccupied and not thinking.

• suero
    10 years ago

You should be covered under the warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bradington Young warranty

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

When I first saw the scratch on the leg, I was going to suggest a furniture fill-in pen fix and be done with -- until I read the price!

But the bruised leather is something else entirely. I wonder if the leather bruises easily and the whole thing is going to have lived-in "character" in not too long anyhow. Isn't leather supposed to stand up to some wear and tear? Or does that just mean acquires "character" over time? Can you test a piece on the underside to see if it is the quality of leather you expect?

I recently had an issue with a locally handmade cherry DR table I purchased. One slab of the wood was nowhere near the quality as the others and it jumped out annoyingly. The company fell back on "its the nature of the product"... blah blah blah. Not quite the same as your case, but be prepared for some of that.

• three3apples
    10 years ago

The leather is fantastic quality and is meant to get scuffs, etc. but these scrapes are sort of deep and have a brownish cast to them. This is not typical wear like my family will cause to the chair. I'll be fine with those.

The leg issue is an actual crack that goes halfway through the leg. You can stick your nail in it. It's not cosmetic.

I'll check the warranty. Thanks.

I think I will call the store tomorrow if I've not heard from them by mid-afternoon. They said they would call in the next few days. Is that reasonable to wait that long?

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

I would want the company to replace the chair with a new one. I would keep records of person you spoke to when you called to report the damage, when and what time and any and all phone calls to the company. I would also call the credit card company and I believe you have 30 days to dispute the charge. I would advise the company and the credit card company that there is a dispute and you do not want the credit card company to pay the bill until the issue is resovled. The company will act faster if they know the charge is being disputed. Good luck!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Since you paid with a Credit Card, I would notify the CC that you have a problem that needs to be resolved....then contact the sellers and get it straightened out. If they (the sellers) are concerned about getting their money, they will be more apt to straighten it out. At least that is what I would do.

• theclose
    10 years ago

+1 to everything momtogirls said. I would absolutley demand perfection. Nothing short of a replacement is acceptable in this case. I do hope they come through.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

I believe thhis company has some serious quality control issues. A high end furniture company should inspect every piece before it is securely wrapped for delivery to the customer. The delivery staff should have impeccable customer service skills and know how to handle furniture. Basically a white glove service.

I am so sorry this happened. You have had so many issues with this project. The company should be calling you immediately.

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Yes, I am tired of the issues!

I will post back after I call the store tomorrow. Thankfully we purchased this with our Amex and they have fantastic customer service.

• User
    10 years ago

Not to worry- I am sure you will be made good- I do like to use the credit cards to add a layer or leverage but seriously, even if the chair cost $100, when you purchase a new item it should be unblemished.
    That is a reasonable expectation. Whether they are able to repair(to your satisfaction) or replace, you should have no worries. It will be inconvenient awaiting the resolution but you will have what you ordered.(and I would put in writing, even if it is an email format, what your experience is if you chose to call about it)

• User
    10 years ago

I would request a new chair.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I would also write a letter/email and include pictures to the salesman with a cc to either the manager or owner of the store. I'm sure they will do the right thing, which will be replacing it with a perfect chair.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update everyone. We are getting a new chair. Cross your fingers this next one is not defective.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

If it's any consolation, it will be worth the wait. That is a very, very, fine chair. I bought the same model probably about 20 years ago (as "same" as can be over that many years and it wasn't that expensive, but the $ was worth more back then). When it got ratty, I called up one of the best reupholstery companies in the area. "We normally don't do recliners" was the response (think LazyBoy). I asked him to come out any way and told him this chair was different. When he inspected the chair, he agreed that it was very well worth the cost to reupholster. It turned out so nice, it ended up being the first picture in their residential web gallery. It's "my" chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leo's

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 22:07

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How great, Dreamingof....Yep, yours looks just like mine. I hope our new one arrives in perfect condition and lasts as well as yours.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Yay! Been following your chair saga and glad it's worked out for you. Hope you have better luck with Chair #2.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

So glad your getting a new chair!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!