Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsuzi

Turning Tab Top curtains into rod pocket or back tab

parsuzi
14 years ago

Any experience / advice appreciated.

I found some linen-look Ikea tab top curtains at a great price. Since I have 2 bays in my dining room, and am looking to update my look w/o spending a lot of money, I bought them.

However,.... I am not a big fan of tab tops. Has anyone transformed them into back tab curtains? Any advice? Length is not a concern, I have lots of extra length to work with.

TIA

Parsuzi

Comments (7)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I just made back tab panels this weekend for my living room. I'd just open the top seam that holds the tabs, remove the tabs, and stitch the seam closed again, with a straight stitch on the right side of the fabric near the top edge.

At that point, pick up where the instructions in the link below tell how to attach the tabs to the top of the back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions to make back tab panels

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I took tab top curtains and turned them into back tab easily. All I did was flip the tabs down and stitch them to the back of the curtain. The stitch line is almost on top of the header seam that was there anyway - totally invisible and they work perfectly making to beautiful soft folds.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I think I have the same curtains that you are talking about, or at least similar. Mine are Bomull. I don't like tab tops either and this was my quick fix: Since my side panels are purely for decorative purposes I don't have to close them. I pulled the tabs all side by side, neat and flat, on each end of the rod and from the back pulled the excess material straight back. They almost look box pleated now and you don't really notice the tabs since there is no space between them on the rod.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Deb is right. A very easy fix. My only concern would be if they became too short so make sure to take that into account.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I think that is an excellent plan - I too dislike tab top's - I find they often look disheveled.

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

The good thing about Ikea's curtains are that they come in such long lengths! I would hate to do a conversion like this and then look at the bottoms and see they are like pants that are just-that-bit-short that you see your socks! (What's the slang for that? 'high-waters'?)

Oh--one thing: Do a few flip-backs on the tabs, then stand back and make sure they look OK to you, because some of Ikea's curtains' weaves can be a bit skimpy, and you might not like the shadow behind the flipped-back tabs.

• jlcjlr
    14 years ago

I modified some Pier 1 curtains that were backtab. I inserted crinoline in the top pocket to stiffen it a bit, then added curtain weights on each corner. Finally, I measured the correct width for each panel when closed and divided by the number of tabs. I stitched binding tape across the back at each tab. The end result is the fabric stays properly spaced when you pull the panel closed. I've never posted pictures but I will try. They look like casual un-pleated panels with tidy, big s-curves.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida