Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Seeking Boston-area sources for modern sectional

MarinaGal
10 years ago

We are nine months into a search for a modern-ish sectional. My husband is losing patience and claims that I leave a trail of disappointed salespeople in my wake....

Some of the key things I am seeking: single/bench cushion on the sofa part of the sectional, deep seating, clean lines, ability to select my own fabric. I also want it to be relatively high quality.

Here are the places I have come close to finding something: Room & Board, MGBW, Roche Bobois. If I were in NY it would be easier, but I am in the Boston area. I think I need to find some smaller boutique stores.... I really don't want to do full custom b/c I feel like I am not experienced enough to specify the construction and quality accurately.

Does anyone have any off-the-beaten-path retail suggestions? The Roche Bobois Edena sectional below is pretty close to what I want just to give a sense of the style I am seeking.

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Have you sat down with and ID or salesperson and gone through all their mfr catalogues?

Is there a reason you don't just do custom?

I don't think a boutique is going to have its own line or access to any unusual lines; not with something like a sectional, IMHO

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Hi from Cape Cod!

The Theatre District has some very high-end modern-furniture stores.

Ligne Roset

Il Decor

Machine Age

Design Within Reach

Addo Novo

West Elm

Usually you can request a bench cushion even on sofas that show with multiple cushions.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Cisco Furniture, the stores and manufacturing are here in Los Angeles, but they have vendors in the Boston area that sell their products. You can customize anything and choose their fabrics or bring your own. I have bought several of their products the last 3 years and they have excellent quality and service. I like supporting local businesses that still manufacture in the US. Pricing is comparable to other pieces I bought through the local design center, but cheaper than Roche Bobois. Can't Roche Bobois customize the Edena?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I would also suggest asking Roche Bobois. We have a RB sectional on order ("Script") and were able to take the leather from the sectional and use it on a chair from another RB supplier. They're very flexible. I just wish the darn things would arrive already (they take 4-6 months to get here from Italy AFTER ordering).

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all - I never thought to ask Roche Bobois about customizing the cushion. It's strange b/c I have been in the manager of the store several times and she knows what I am looking for, but never offered that up. I will ask, great suggestion! I know that when I asked about using my own fabric she said that would void any warranty on the piece, but they have a large enough selection that I think I can manage that part of it.

Mtn - on a sectional I would only do custom if I did it with a designer and I tend to have a bad history with IDs. But if it comes to that I would do it. And, yes, at the retail stores I have been to, I have sat down with my specs and asked about everything - not just what is on the floor... I need to get to more stores and maybe the Design Center, which I always dread...

Chispa - I have come across Cisco in my search, but didn't get that they have vendors here - thanks so much!

Tibbrix - how much snow are you getting today?? Thanks so much for your suggestions. I spent a day in the South End - came across a couple of good stores including Lekker Home which carries a nice sofa line from Sweden. But I never think to go the the Theatre District which is a big oversight - thank you!!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Have you checked Circle Furniture?

Also check American Leather sectionals (which come in fabrics other than leather). Circle carries some Am. Leather pieces, or at least they used to, and so does Jordan's Furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: AL sectionals

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Snowing steadily here in Barnstable. Heavy wet stuff. Ugh. Only about 4 inches expected. Bigger storm for Wed., then an even bigger one on Sunday night into Monday, Quite a winter we've had!

I just went through the whole sofa buying rigmarole. It's a nightmare. I bought one, which was a disaster, and I took an $1100 hit on it (managed to sell it for $600 on Craigslist). Went up, and bought a Hickory Chair. Soooo expensive (for me). Absolutely love it, but even that one I had to tweak the cushion (I also like bench cushions - and tight backs). Frame is great. What I found, though, in this whole sofa buying thing is that the customer is expected to be the expert. It's a nasty industry - like most now, interested in getting your money; not so interested in taking responsibility if there is a problem, even when it is unquestionably on their end. I can't tell you how much I stressed what was important to me in a cushion, based on the total failure of the first sofa. Went through Dayton Hom win Wellesley. Lovely people, but it's really surface stuff. No one seems to really know their stuff anymore, namely cushions. I thought I had crossed my Ts and dotted my Is, but still it came in not right, and their answer was, "We gave you what you asked for." Problem with that, though is that you're asking them all these questions, and they're yessing you to death, so you're being told that what you are saying you want is what you'll get, so you place the order. Then, when it isn't what you wanted, they say they gave you what you ordered, so it's the customer's problem! See the problem with that? It's maddening and reason to be cautions and very insistent with salespeople, ask for examples to sit on, etc.

A great example of how absurd that industry is is your being told that using your own fabric would invalidate any warranty. How on EARTH does fabric validate a warranty? (Hickory Chair, btw, allows you to pick your own fabric, but not many do). That to me is an example of their looking for ways to not uphold warrantees because ti makes no sense whatsoever. Of course, I've not sought out the reason, so for all I know, there is a good one, but I can't imagine what i might be.

Take a stroll down Tremont and Boylston Sts. and lovely Charles St. over in Beacon Hill. Love the Back Bay. I grew up in Brookline right on the Boston line.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 16:09

• chispa
    10 years ago

I suggested you ask RB if they can customize the Edena even though when I was in RB in Los Angeles last week there were some pieces that didn't seem to have any flexibility. Worth a try. I am looking for a sofa for our playroom and it has to be 96-100" long ... can't go smaller or the kids would have to sit too close to each other! ;-) . I tried to go to MGBW on that same outing, but could not find a parking spot at all ... they are supposed to be moving to a more swanky location soon. I'll probably stick with Cisco and customize the length, depth and fabric/leather.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

chispa, if I had avoided going into the RB store in LA over Thanksgiving, I wouldn't have fallen in love with the sectional I got, and I would have saved a boatload of money (because I would have bought a R&B sectional for less than half the price!)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, those are two different West Elm sectionals (links).

Here's a direct link to the first one.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm

• chispa
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, no problems parking around RB, actually got a spot right in front! MGBW was crazy, I circled for about 20 minutes and just gave up as I had to allow myself enough time to get home and pick up the kids from school. They've lost a potential customer. Still new to LA and getting to know the good shopping areas.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We went to MGBW over Thanksgiving too but it wasn't that crowded due to the holiday I suppose. I was actually quite disappointed by MGBW, maybe their new Beverly Hills store will be better.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Have you been to Boston Design Center?
    http://www.bostondesign.com/
    My other suggestion, as has been mentioned, is MGBW.

Here's a link to check out:
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-of-boston/award/furniture/
    We like Cabot House and have several pieces from there.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

bonnie, can laypeople shot at Boston Design Center? I thought only license interior designers could do so. Why am I thinking that???

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

You can use this feature:
    http://www.bostondesign.com/consumer-access/

I have one DD currently living in Southie, and another who recently moved to the Marina Bay area of Quincy. Are you in Q, by chance?

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sueb - good idea about Circle... I used to buy a lot of things there and they kind of fell off my radar when I moved out of Cambridge. Their quality has historically been good.

Tibbrix- Yes - buying upholstered furniture is so hard. I am so sick of bad quality. This is why I try to buy a lot from MGBW. I think their quality is very good for the price. We own a 13 year old Pottery Barn sofa that was made by MG and it is still in excellent shape. Same with our 10 year old RH chairs made by MG. Thanks for the West Elm link - I like the look of their furniture but worry about wear and tear - this sectional will be high use in our house (family room).

Chispa - will let you know what I hear from RB on modifications. Good luck in your sofa search!

Bonnieann - I may end up at BDC. It is overwhelming to me, but I could manage if I had to.... it is sort of my last resort. :) My Marina name is not related to Quincy, but rather b/c I love watching boats and people from a marina we use on the Cape. Thanks for your suggestions!

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Where on the Cape are you? We have a house in Brewster. Love it!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Bonnieann,

I know you're asking MarinaGal, but I'm also on the Cape.

Brewster is so nice. I love Mayflower and Howes St. beaches.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, May 8, 14 at 17:00

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

bo concept
    design within reach
    kartell

slightly more traditional mitchell gold

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: Mitchell Gold finally came out with a new sectional that meets our needs - it's called the Franco, and we just ordered it last week. I am excited to finally be moving on with our family room.

I will post photos when we get it in - probably another 8 weeks....

Thanks all for your suggestions!

• Lucy
    7 years ago

MarinaGal how do you like you sectional? I see you got it for a family room--do you have young kids? Which fabric did you choose?