Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transom window treatments

Posted by maggie3_2006 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:09

I have a transom window over my dining room window. Can you show me how you did your curtains for those of you who have them. REALLY trying to get this dining room finished.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transom window treatments

A picture would help...

o

I put mine above the transom.

photo DSC_2699.jpg

photo IMG_0364.jpg

o

hope this helps, I did google some pics and found my fav was the half rods with the non stationary drapes. I dont need drapes for privacy just want to add texture.
 photo 003-1.jpg

o

My experience is most people go over them to add height and block out the sun. But I have installed many below leaving transom open. After about a year or two,I am back at a good percentage of those people homes switching to a new treatment to cover them to block out the sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panel Track With Transom Open

o

I hung my drapes below the transom in DH's study...it's a north facing room so sunlight isn't an issue.

o

Like Annie, I put the treatment (not drapes, though) below the transom:

Photobucket

If we decide to put window treatments in our adjacent dining area, we'll also leave the transom exposed there, as not much direct light comes in through that top window, and privacy isn't an issue.

o

Maggie, in your case I would definitely go above your transom. You have high ceilings and it will look best in your room. Try using A rod 2 ft wider than your window and stack the drapes back on the walls a good bit, making the window appear wider.

o

I would do it like Annie's, unless you get direct sun that bothers you.

Part of the beauty of transoms is to leave them bare with curtains used below them. I have a thing for curtains under transoms. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here