Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddytc_gw

OK Lindybarts lets give it a try barstools...everyone is welcome

paddytc
16 years ago

Lindybarts are you ready. My orginal thought was white because I thought I had too much black going on in my house. However, white has been hard to find especially one that matches my cabinets some too white some too yellow. So I bought 4 at an unfinished furniture store (differnet store than were I bought console) they were going to finish stools to match cabinets.. Long story but store went under. So that leads me here again. Here are the stools I am looking at. I would just buy and return them but I don't want to lose all my shipping cost and with Ethan Allen I don't know if I could return them.

Barstool #1 http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9960/toolbox.cfm?tool=vFinish

My kitchen table chairs are from Pottery Barn in black

Barstool #2

www.ethanallen.com go to products then collections then tango and either crossback or ladderback stools

My favorite are the Ethan Allen Crossback in white but don't know if too busy or if I want white anymore. The black at Ethan Allen are not as black as my kitchen table chairs but would match counters better since my counters are a softish black. Potterybarn would match my kithen table chairs since they are Pottery Barn too however are a little more black than my counters

Hope this all makes sence. My DH just wants the pain to go away....

walking into kitchen from mudroom

walking into kitchen front of house

looking into tv room

looking at kitchen from family room

walking into kitchen/family area

walking into kitchen/family area

Potterybarn black

I didn't know which picture would work best for photoshopping. Sorry some are blurry I am using my 13 year old DD camara. Broke mine in Disney hopefully this weekend we will purchase both new camara and barstools.. Thankssssssssss! Paddytc

Comments (48)

• les917
    16 years ago

I remember your work on this before. Have to ask, have you considered doing something in a color? I think a green to pull the color from the family room, or even something like a red, would be more fun there.

Your counters and stools don't need to match - in fact, having different shades of the black gives some depth and interest. I don't see white stools, especially as viewed from the family room, which is how they will be most seen.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

How about stools in a wood finish similar to the table instead of a color? You can always choose to add some interesting seat cushions and you most likely won't get tired of them.

I like the Ethan Allen barstools the best. I am not a big fan of PB wood furniture since I have a Bedford Desk that is not wearing well. Their upholstered furniture is a better product.

Your kitchen is beautiful.

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, Thanks for your responds I love your taste... I know this doesn't show up on camara but counters have a soft mostly black but a tiny bluish tint. They are Pietra Cardosa. I am starting to believe black is the way to go maybe the store going out of business was a blessing in disguised eventhough it hasn't been easy getting our money back. Tried green (borrowed from friend) no go and I am not really a red person. I really want an airy casaul look this is why I was touching on white. I . We are a very informal family. Love buffet style. I thought I would have fun with the cushions.

The Ethan Allen chairs are a softer black. They call them charcoal. Do you like either style? Or are they too modern. What do you think of an Etagere in the place were my poinsettia is setting? He will not die and I don't have the heart to throw him out.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey Paddy...I peaked at both chairs you are looking at and I love the Ethan Allen soft black too. I will work on this a bit later. Right now it appears DD has Strep. Off to the Ped.

• les917
    16 years ago

I like the idea of a crossback stool, to echo the diamond shapes on the backsplash directly behind the counter there. Not so crazy about the EA crossback, tho - the top back is heavy to me.

I know this one is expensive, but it comes in a boatload of finishes, and this is a well-respected brand from what I know. You could do the rubbed black with a wood-toned seat if you wanted, or just a solid black.

shermag stool

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Paddytc,
    First off, I love your kitchen and your colors:)

If it had to be between bk and white - I 'd choose black BUT I would rather see an upholstered parsons stool with a fabulous fabric to tie in all your colors. You could even use a Sunbrella fabric for durability. I see Timmy Turner on your TV, so I know you must have some kiddo's around!!
    Not this fabric!! Unless your trying to embrace your wild side :)

But this is one of their outdoor fabrics - I have seen it quite a bit in outdoor furniture places - it is pretty.

Smiles:)

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jerseygirl thanks. I am Jersey girl too. Tried wood but didn't feel right. Believe me I have looked at everything borrowing chairs from strangers.lol

Les, I think my husband would just laugh a me if I showed him the shermag stool..maybe if we hit the lotto.

Orginal thought x back because of backsplash design but then thought it might be too modern feeling. Then I thought since kitchen chairs and familyroom chairs are ladderback with top curve I should match that with Pottery Barn Wynn stools because of the top curve to unify space.

Ethan Allan ladderback are very straight. A little concerned that EA x back might be too busy especially in black.

I can't look at anymore places DH will drop me out of car if he has to shop anymore. Also, I would like to keep the seat height 26" vs. 24. Kids and myself well be using island most and I'm 5'3"

This has been my hardest decisions in this renovation. No barstools for 1 year because of me. I never expected it.

• lauraa
    16 years ago

I don't know if I am much help since I like both the Pottery Barn chair and the Ethan Allen chair. I would go with black. You say that the Ethan Allen chair is very straight, then would that make it a little more uncomfortable? I LOVE you chairs at your table. Could you get barstools to match them? I really like the rush seats. Wish I had gotten them when I got new chairs for my kitchen table. Hubby didn't like them.

Anyway, I have a question for you. What color are your kitchen cabinets?

Thanks

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

How about a backless stool with a rush seat? I like the texture of the rush seat and backless so it will give you more room. Easy to tuck under the counter area. In black ;)
    {{!gwi}}

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts.. Hope you DD is feeling better. Sometimes you hope it is strep so get the meds but boy oh boy does strep hurt.

Kmcg85 I like the barstool but I love sitting in a chair with a back. Also, we have children at the house all time and feel backed chairs are a little safer.

johnatemp would love fabric but don't want to invest that type of money at this point in our lives. Maybe when kids are in college. Trust me I plan on doing a whole revamp then. Actually make that after college I think DH and I will be eating lots of pasta when kids are actually in.

Les, I did forget PB does have X back (single) in black better price point.

lauraa cabinets are BM Dove white..Love the rush seats too but always have to remind the children not to stand on them, kneel with knee in center etc. A little more maintenance than I had first thought. I will most likely get cushions.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Thanks paddy! She is feeling pretty achy and a really sore throat but the initial test came back negative for Strep. They will still run a culture but it looks to be just a virus. So, she's planted on the sofa with a big blankey. :c(

It sounds like the white one is off the list...right? I would agree and think I'd stick to black or the Charcoal. I think any of those...whether they be ladder back or cross back look great. I did throw in that fabric one for fun. I'll shop in the PB Cross back next. Forgive the colorization of the Ethan Allen stool. There wasn't a picture of the Charcoal one on their site.

{{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Okay, there are two Pottery Barn Cross back chairs. This one is the Aaron Chair. The other one...I forgot the name already, seemed a bit wimpy looking.

Here are all three black chairs you are looking at.
    {{!gwi}}

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts, Thanks so much... Hope DD feels better.

When you have time could you please photoshop some addtional pics. I know what it is like to have sick children so just whenever.

Could you do me a favor and do 4 more pics for me?

#1 four of the PB Wynn Chair in black
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9960/toolbox.cfm?tool=vFinish

#2 four of the PB X Back in black
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p8515/toolbox.cfm?cm_lid=32&pgid=p8515&tool=vAlt

#3 four of the EA X Back in the Carbon(black)
    #4 four of the EA x back in the white

EA doesn't allow me to copy the sight page.

Thank you..Paddytc

• meg711
    16 years ago

paddytc, I just wanted to say that I can completely relate. If I didn't know any better, I would swear we're married to the same guy. We, too, have been living without counter stools for over a year. DH mentions them at least once a week but now I think I have a plan. It will still take a few months to actually get them so I guess I better get moving.

Have you thought of brushed aluminum stools? There are some very nice designs out there and you wouldn't have to worry about matching the chairs or the counter. Good luck!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

My vote is for the PB xback's in black!

#1 PB Wynn Chair
    {{!gwi}}

#2 PB Xback
    {{!gwi}}

#3 EA xback Carbon (probably a little darker than this??..I had to color them by hand)
    {{!gwi}}

#4 EA xback White
    {{!gwi}}

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I love that Sunbrella fabric, the paisley. It's pretty sturdy stuff, you know.

I opted for the aluminum stools to go with my SS appliances. They are very lightweight (good for the kids, better on your floors) and virtually indestructible. They are showing tiny scratches where they bump into the edge of the counter, but I bet that will show up much worse on wood.

I got mine at Target. Crate & Barrel also has them. Or, you could get the original Emecos from Design Within Reach. But, then you'd need to pay your attorney to amend your will....the Emecos are heirloom quality with a price to match! :-)

(I would worry about rush seats since they are gook magnets with kids.)

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK OK OK Black has won. Wow if sure makes a difference in pictures.

THANK YOU Lindybarts!

I am leaning toward PB X Back.

However before I can decide Lindybarts could you repost the four PB Wynn in black. I think the ones above are the EA Ladderback which I thought would be too straight lined for me. The PB Wynn counterstool has a curved back like kitchen chairs, familyroom chair, fireplace, even sink..Thanks a mill! Also, can you cut down lets so they are more counter height? I don't know anything about photoshop so if not or if it is alot work don't bother. Thanks again. Paddytc

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9960/toolbox.cfm?cm_lid=1024&pgid=p9960&tool=vFinish

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Here are the two PB chairs from the other angle so you can see them with your kitchen chairs. Obviously the ladder backs match, but I think it's too matchy matchy. (Coming from the gal who has a sea of brown leather in her Great Room..so take that with a grain of salt. LOL)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sis3
    16 years ago

I can tell that you are happy to be on the right track now paddytc....so I don't wish to divert you....but if you would like to save a lot of $$$ you could check out the JC Penney site. They have many styles with different finish options that include black, and they seem to be very good value. I purchased my 2 counter stools from them, saving hundreds, and we are so pleased with them we then purchased the bar stools. Love them! They are made in China, of course, but they are heavy and sturdy.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry Paddy...I guess I must have clipped the wrong ones for the Wynn Chairs...I'll redo those!

• ash6181
    16 years ago

Just wanted to jump in and post some other alternatives for someone who may be looking for a crossback barstool for a cheaper price. Overstock has them for for $119.99. Also, Montgomery Ward has a similar stool for $99.99. Don't have either one of these chairs, so don't know anything about quality, but if someone's looking for a cheaper option, these might be worth a try.
    Since I can't make two links (I think) the Montgomery Ward address is http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_display1.asp?product=37843.

Ashley

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Link

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts please don't apologize this is a huge favor.

Sis 3 and Ash6181 thank you for the heads up. I would love to save some money but I ordered barstools from Penney's a year ago and they came in cracked and yellowish white. Thank goodness I was able to take them back to the store otherwise I would have had to eat the shipping. Now I am a believer that I need to sit wiggle on them first before buying especially furniture that will be getting alot of use. Thank you though.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

That reminds me of a question I had Paddy. If you are torn, is one of them more comfy than the other??

Here's the Wynn Chairs...I hope it's right this time and maybe a better scale for the counter height:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Oh, paddytc, I love your home. And I am so glad that I tried to copy your cabinets and pulls. (Aw, my stalking days.)

If you are looking for input. I really like the PB X Backs (let me know what you get so I can copy you, again.)

Also, what's up? Where is Spongebob?

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Ohhh, I love the upholstered barstool idea. How cool is that.

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts you are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much. I still haven't decided I was going to see if I could have you cut the X Backs down to counter height too. I have sat in both styles at PB and as I recall both felt the same. Don't worry I will test that out again. I sat on X Backs monthes ago and the Wynn ones just recently since I think they are new out.

KitchenKelly you make me laugh. Sponge Bob Want to Be was still in bed when taking pics and my 11 year old walking ESPN book had TV controls. I'm sure you already have stools no one can take this long. Kitchen Baths colors easy this takes the cake. I know I have completely over thought it. Oh Well.

Jerseygirl sorry just can't do upholsted to many sticky fingers.

• les917
    16 years ago

I think the PB 'x' back wins for me. I understand about the Shermag ones - I just hate to not post things as I find them and make perhaps wrong assumptions about what people might want to spend. I know I couldn't afford them - heck that is almost what our table and 4 chairs cost.

Just wondering about how you are planning to fit the four stools at the bar with the supports where they are - seems like they will be right in the way of the people sitting on either end?

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les I am suprised with the x backs..you don't think they are to modern? I was leaning towards the Wynn but don't want too matchy matchy but for some reason seems a more cleaner look. However, I will probably go with you guys.

Ok on last chance to save money. Went to mall last night quickly with DD and also stopped by Crate and Barrel they have X Back for 100 dollars cheaper per chair. A little more curvey. I know I can buy and return (Love that) but couldn't last night since I am leaving for Boston this morning in the snow for a DS basketball tourney. I might buy one Monday. Very comfy to sit in. I know only 24 high seat??

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=900&f=24099

About the supports that was a problem after install. The cabinet makers put on big huge beautiful supports but I had them come and put small ones on the your very reason. The bottom of the supports are 27 inches off floor so shoud be fine for pushing in and sitting. We have tried them out with other stools and are good to go since most of the time when sitting at the island you are not completely pushed in ..

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

ok, coming late to the party but I love the black BUT I also think a color would look really really nice. Especially something like a barn red:
    {{!gwi}}

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

From a lover of barstools with lots of years of use / experience with them : with kids (I recommend) Get the black - a gloss finish will clean better - and you have alot of natural light, so you are going to wipe them down often. Get the sturdiest, most comfortable ones - and the lesser expensive ones ( Consider putting your TV on a small swivel and your ESPN junkie may be able to eat and watch from the counter.
    Your house looks very comfy & beautiful.
    "Get the Barstools!" You won't believe how much easier serving meals - esp being on the go - kids activities & busy lives!

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boston Tourney cancelled :). I am thinking about getting out in the snow and going to Crate and Barrel to get at least one stool.

What did you all think of CB X Back stool?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=900&f=24099

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

I like them - look comfy - and you can make / get cushions.

• jenanla
    16 years ago

I like the Crate and Barrel better than the Pottery Barn Stools.

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Where did you get the lights over your island, they are stunning?

Thanks

Jenn

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

FWIW, I have four kids and magothyrivergirl brings up very good points. They will get used more than your table and chairs guaranteed! My kids have their after school snacks there, do thier homework at the island and watch TV. They spend most of their time in the kitchen at the island on the stools and I have the PB Black backless rush seat stools. I can push them in under the counter taking up less space. The PB stools are 26" high. I can not get that height anyplace else. It is perfect because it has enough leg room (height wise). The barstools are a little too tall for a counter. The 24" a little too short. Anyway, I have had them going on 8 years, lots of use! With white and MANY grubby fingers pulling them in and out you will constantly be cleaning them. I saw the Crate and Barrel ones yesterday, and really liked them. I hesitated to post those for some reason, so I'm glad you saw them. To me, they look less bulky, a little more petite. With kids I just want to reinforce the idea of black.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

LOVE the Crate and Barrel ones if they aren't too short. If you can bring one home to try out, that would be my choice too. Here's the Crate and Barrel. I tried to make them look 24"...don't know if it's exactly right:
    {{!gwi}}

And the 4 Pottery Barn xbacks with 26" height:
    {{!gwi}}

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Hi Paddy, your house is lovely! Have you ever thought about getting stools that have seats that turn? A friend of mine has those and it works pretty well...you know, when something comes on TV and you want to look for a sec. It keeps the stools from being dragged around too much.

In any case, it's going to be fantastic once you have them.
    Susan

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts thanks again. I do like the softer lines of the CB chairs. Went to go buy one but the store was closed because of the snow. I will try tomorrow. Only concern is height of back CB 39 1/2H x 17W x 22Dx . Love the fact that they are 17 W vs. PB 20 wide but hopefully not to low with my counters being 36 1/2 inches. If they work then it is on to cushions :)

Mpwdmom I thought about swivel but I know my kids will turn them into the counters and the stools will get beat up.

jenanla I bought them at a store called Wychoff Lighting in New Jersey. They are called bell jar lanterns. I found them for another person on this website www.genuineantiquelighting.net
    Hope this helps.

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone I am back. Sorry it has taken so long. Lindybarts can you believe I took my DD to peds today and such enough strep :( Hopefully she will be feeling better by tomorrow. I believe I have narrowed down my search. I bought a stool at CB they only had two in stock so I it is a go I will order more. I found another at a Dinette Place. Its a ladderback style but I can have the seat upholstered in any fabric (not from their inventory) that I choose much more comfortable. I know I didn't want upholstered but these seat screw off and in two year I could reupholster the stools.

CRATE AND BARREL

CRATE and BARREL

The other two pics are my kitchen chairs that are very similar to the stools with cushion. Here is a website with the stools that are similar to the ones I would get except I would have cushion fabric seats.

http://www.bestpricedfurniture.com/BPF/item-20446.html

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Hey, who's the dude in the pic? I might have to copy you on that, too.

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitchenkelly, Don'e worry there are some days that he's a free give away. No need to copy.

Actually I made and executive I am going to order the CB X Back. I love the look of them from sitting in my familyroom. Yaaaa.

Now for cushions. PB has some that I love love they are their Box Cushions Green Hudson Stripe (green and blue)love..Remember I have a demin blue sofa in familyroom and I have blue items in my glass cabinet in kitchen.

CB only have a blue stripe cushion made to fit the stool. I like both love the whole blue/green thing in PB. Do you think PB will fit my stools? Of course, called PB once again only catalog/internet sales only. They need to have a better stock inventory.
    PB show cushion with school house stool which is 18 1/22 x 14.5 to backrest. CB stool is 17 1/2 wide and 14.5 to the backrest. Do I go for it too now that I am on a roll?

Crate and Barrel
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=875&f=27638&q=cushions&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

PotteryBarn
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p6398/toolbox.cfm?cm_lid=64&pgid=p6398&tool=vInRoom

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

There are a lot of chairs going on. I'm feeling too much wood and sameness -- how about some metal chairs, maybe a rubbed pewter or something? Then you'd have some fabric cushions as well.

• Kathy Bochonko
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven I agree. Although, the Crate & Barrel ones are not quite as "same." Of the ones shown I like them the best.

Paddy, I think you may have mentioned it in another post, but can you please tell me the names of your beautiful paint choices for these two rooms?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

lol, I was just thinking the same thing -- paint color? paint color? It should be a requirement to include a resource list :)

Very pretty rooms!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Was out there looking for some back styles or materials that are a bit different. There were some really nice woven styles out there which might be nice, but at $500 a pop .... maybe you're not interested :) The first pic below does have a woven back to a see bit of that amidst your rooms.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

chair1

chair2

chair3

chair4

chair5

chair6

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrelheaven- I agree with you that is why I was going to purchase white stools so I didn't have 10 black chairs. However, the whites never worked out and when looking at Lindybarts photos I liked black better. I do like the rattan look put can't find any in my price range 250. DH and myself don't care for metal and no swivel because my boys will make it their own personal "merry-go-round":)

Won't putting cushions on soften the seat?

Kathyga z7 and Squirrelheaven thank you for asking I love my paint colors wish I could feel this way about stools.
    Familyroom is BM Lewisville Green
    Kitchen is BM Golden Tan

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Paddy..I didn't see this yesterday! I'm so glad you made a decision. I think the Crate and Barrel chairs are going to be great. I also think the PB cushions would fit fine too. You can always return if they don't, right? Or do you have to pay shipping?

Sorry to hear about dd's strep! This is one nasty cold season this year. Way off track here but anyone watch American Idol? Many of the girls were sick on the Wed. show and Ryan said this was the worst cold/flu ever.

Can't wait to see your final result for your beautiful kitchen!

• paddytc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We do watch American Idol and yes Ryan did say it was a bad flu season. Thank goodness it was only strep. She's better and thank goodness back to school tomorrow:) and DH back to work:)