Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Chair Cushions Keep Slipping - Any Ideas Please

no_green_thumb
12 years ago

I have two identical side chairs. The cushion on just one of them keeps slipping - sit on it and it moves. Sometimes it is half falling off the chair. The other one doesn't and the only difference is the one that doesn't slip has a reclining mechanism (which shouldn't make a difference).

I googled and suggestions were to put that waffle-type shelf liner between - no difference.

I called the store and they said some just do that because of the fabric. Well, then why one chair and not the other.

I am thinking I need to put something between the cushion and the seat - but can't figure out what. Velcro would be a solution, but then I wouldn't be able to flip the cushion.

I just noticed on this picture it is out-of-line as the stripes should line up.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (19)

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

My first thought was velcro too. I've been looking at sectionals lately and noticing the cushions have big strips of velcro to keep them in place. But if you want to flip your cushion, that will be an issue.

My next thought is, what about making ties attached to edge of the back of that cushion and attaching something to the inside of the chair behind the cushion to tie it too...it would be hidden behind the cushion in the chair. I hope that make sense how I decribed it. You could even do elastic so there is a little give so it's not tugging on the cushion and won't rip.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought of the ties as well, Always --- but then I am trying to figure out how to get back in there to tie them - because the top cushion overlaps the bottom one - I will keep thinking on that one - thanks

• annzgw
    12 years ago

With a stripe design you won't be able to flip the cushion and still have the stripes line up. Does everything line up if you flip the cushion from the position shown in the photo?

My guess is the seat cushion moves because it is too small/narrow for the chair. Does it have a snug fit when you place it in position?

You could try using clips/loops to hold the cushion in place but they would have to be sewn in areas that you wouldn't have to worry about the fabric being torn. My sofa cushions have them sewn into the cording and I can take a photo if you need to see it.
    As a last resort I would try strips of velcro along the edges of the cushion.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annz, yes the cushions can be flipped and they still line up. These were pretty good chairs - USA made - even the ottoman's stripes line up with the chair.
    Maybe something on the sides - if you have a photo that would be great - but it would have to be so that the stress wouldn't tear the fabric. Thanks.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I wonder if you put the hook side of a velcro stip on the base of the chair if it would hook onto the cushion fabric without having to put a loop side there. Kind of a hybrid of the felt boards of the past and the velcro of today. Bona uses that on their microfiber pads for wood floors.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

If you put the velcro on the bottom of the back of the chair and then on the back side of the cushion where the zipper might be, that might hold it and still allow you to flip it. Maybe two rows, one above the other?

You also can try rug pad, the kind of sticky foam that grips the rug without adhesive, or that foamy shelf liner that's kind of slip proof (not contact paper, but it comes in rolls). Depending on the fabric, a layer of that under the cushion, might keep it from slipping.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like Velcro may still be an option - Thanks Lascatx and Ollie. Ollie, I have already tried the slip proof shelf liner --- did no good. Maybe the rug pad is a little thicker?
    This is really a pain - as the chair is almost unusable and the other one is fine. The cushions seem to be made exactly the same for both --- and I thought I had bought pretty high-end pieces.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

It looks to me like the cushion extends out too far in the front, or had it slid forward when the picture was taken? Might the cushion be a bit too deep?

Do the cushions appear to be the same for both of the chairs? Have you tried switching the cushions temporarily, to see if the fault is with the chair, or with the cushion itself?

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It's possible the nap of the fabric is different on the two pieces, that the fabric runs one way on one cushion and different on the other. I don't think nap is the correct term for napless fabric, but the weave may have an effect on whether it is more slippery one direction or another.

You could also do velcro along the sides of the cushion, as well as the back, for more anchoring power.

I bought a very expensive custom sofa once that made me crazy because the cushions squirted out every time we sat on it. I had provided the fabric, so the manufacturer wouldn't take it back, but they did install tabs with anchors and hardware to latch them to the frame. It helped some, but I hated that sofa because it always looked a mess.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chemocurl (and best wishes for a great recovery) - probably it had already moved when I took the picture -- I hadn't thought about changing the cushions to see if it is the cushion or the chair ---
    Oly - I know what you mean - the chair always looks a mess -very frustrating when I thought I had purchased a higer-end product!

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

On high end pieces that problem is solved via rings on tabs stitched to the cushion sides:

You hook those rings onto a clip peeking out near the arm base. The clip is on a strip of elastic and you have to really pull on the clip to attach the rings:

These cushions ain't going anywhere!

You could rig something similar. Flip the chair over and peel back the dust shield (mesh like) fabric. Find a place on the frame to staple or nail the elastic strip ends. I'd just do a loop and staple both ends of the elastic to the frame. Then fish the clip through. Sew the rings onto tabs on the cushion sides and you're done. Tabs don't have to match as they'll never be seen except when you flip the cushions.

It's those little things that drive us nuts, right?

Good luck!

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

I should add I once had another couch that had some tabs along the back of the cushion instead of just on the sides.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Celtic -- and for the visuals -- I'll be at JoAnn's this weekend buying the rings and clips! That sounds like a great solution.
    Yes, is it the little things sometimes. I try to switch the chairs periodically as one of them is where my DH tends to hang out - trying for more even wear. At the moment, the bad chair is the "non DH" chair. I thought it was him
    and it was driving me crazy (of course, he never saw it). Then when I switched chairs, it was still happening - so DH is off the hook!! (at least for now)

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Happy to help. Just be sure the clip is anchored so that it has to stretch the elastic to fasten to the ring. The clip just peeking out seems to be about right. It isn't the easiest thing to then pull on the clip and fasten - but that cushion will sit tight and not move!

• lindabarbara
    12 years ago

I remember someone stating they had a similar problem and they solved it by placing that thin rubbery rug padding between the chair frame and the cushion. It seemed to stop the slipping. Just a thought from someone who is a font of useless information!

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

I am not the person linda barbara is referring to, but I have done the same thing. I used a left over piece of waffley rug pad under the cushions of my couch and it stopped them from slipping. Took 5 minutes to cut the piece to size. Easy Peazy.

Nicole

• sameboat
    12 years ago

I was thinking a patch of rug pad, too!

• les917
    12 years ago

The rings and clips are certainly one good solution. The rug gripper pad, because it is 'tacky' would likely work better than the foam shelf liner.

Just out of curiousity, even though the stripes would not match so it is not a permanent solution, have you tried switching the seat cushions between the two chairs? I would be curious to see if it still happens, or if it then happens on the reclining chair instead.

Is it possible the cushion is just a tad too large for the seating platform?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH