Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Sisal, etc rugs -- cleanable?

Jamie
10 years ago

My experience with this type of flooring dates to post-college apartments with squares from Pier1. Once anything with moisture fell on them, they soaked up the stain. These squares had no backing, so dry soil would just fall through and you could sweep it up from underneath. I don't think they were sisal, but they were some kind of grass or ?

Does today's sisal stain readily? Is it possible to remove the stains?

I would be putting the rug in a hallway. We do carry our coffee down the hall, so it would get spilled on.

Comments (13)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Sea Grass! Google it.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Most of the natural grass/sisal type rugs have a latex backing so debris doesn't fall through. They will stain and they are not washable.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 13:21

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

They will stain and they are not washable

Which is why we didn't get one for our dining room. We got an indoor-outdoor version that is pretty much indestructible, feels better on bare feet, and looks darn good.

• H.Parker
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if there is good vendor online for custom cut seagrass or sisal.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, what did you get? I put a sisal in my breakfast room and my dog ate something that disagreed with her stomach and the rug went to the dump.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

patricia, here's a picture of our rug. I don't even remember the brand, but I can certainly find out.

• theclose
    10 years ago

H. Parker, I have had a good experience with Sisal Rugs Direct (sisalrugs.com). Beautiful rug and they do custom sizes.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Thank you, I would appreciate that if it is not too much trouble. Your rug also looks like it would work in my breakfast room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

patricia, are you referring to me? If so, I'm happy to find out. For what it's worth, the size was customizable (my carpet store does their own binding - although I will say they didn't do such a stellar job LOL).

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I bought a seagrass rug from natural area rugs about 3 years ago. It's under the table where we all our meals, and it has held up great, no stains, no deterioration despite moving chairs around. The fibers kind of repel liquid, and when food gets really stuck in it, you know, like meat sauce, I just clean it up with a wet sponge. I vacuum it. The only thing is that the fabric binding gets dirty, which I cleaned it with carpet cleaner.
    The company also makes custom rugs and wall-to-wall. I do recommend them, and no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them. If you do a google search and gardenweb, other comments will come up.

Here is a link that might be useful: seagrass rugs

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Yes, SJHockeyfan, requesting of you if not a lot of trouble. Sorry I had a little project to attend to with my grandchildren. I don't know how I did this years ago with 3 of my own.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'll find the receipt tomorrow!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Patricia, the brand of the carpet is Bella Anywhere the color is Bronze 1401. It was $40 per square YARD plus $5.00 per lineal foot for the serging. The finished rug is 9' x 13' and the total price was $860 including tax.