Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northernsky76

Color to paint my house

northernsky76
10 years ago

Hello,

I posted this in the paint forum, but it was suggested i may get more decorating tips here. My wife and I are trying to decide on colors to paint or house but are having a hard time. It is a brick ranch with T1-11 siding. We have a brown roof so that is appearing to limit our color options. We had the windows replaced recently to white ones. We are looking at white trim, but unsure on the rest of the color. Also deciding whether or not to paint the brick as well(know it will be a maintenance issue if we do)

Any input is appreciated!

Comments (21)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Such a cute house! Where are you located?

My first reaction was a chocolate brown. Keeps it fitting the woodsy surroundings and adds an elegance. and with the white trim, it would be very pretty, I think. I would not paint the brick. A stain would be nicest, I think, but a lot of work since you'd have to strip the paint that is there now.

• northernsky76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually like the pic you showed. Our stain is similar to that color on the house now. We are located in the Triangle area in NC. The house currently has a brown stain on it. The problem we are finding is that it appears to dark of a house when we pull up to it. But i will keep this as a suggestion!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The brown on your house looks a lot lighter and with a lot more orange in it and blends too much with the brick. I've never believed that dark or light are really issues, esp. with exteriors, but rather what fits in with the surroundings, what look a person is going for, and what makes a house "pop", so to speak. Sharp contrasts between trim and exterior color create a very crisp, contemporary look, like the pic I put up. That's what I thought the dark, rich brown would work on your house, fit in nicely with the surroundings, but bring out the brick and, with the white trim, make the house pop more and give it a contemporary, crisp look.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Maybe add shutters to the two windows on the broad wall?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Green would look great in your setting...

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 12:11

• northernsky76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would be putting shutters on the T1-11 side around each of the windows. We are looking at dark blue or black depending on the siding color.

I also like the tan/light brown color s it works with the mortar on the brick. The green is also nice. One of the colors we found was Sherwin Williams Softer Tan.

Appreciate all the input. The hardest part is that we have a brown roof. So only so many colors go with that. We have ruled out any yellows. We are now leaning toward the brown/green/tan colors.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Someone put up a gorgeous green here yesterday, Benjamin Moore Mountain Moss.

• northernsky76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tibbix! I will be getting color samples next week and will add this one to the list.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I love that Mountain Moss and think it would look nice with your house. Post pics if you sample!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

This house looks so much like one that our son sold about 5 years ago.

They painted the area of trim that you have white in a buttery ivory color and the main body of wood was barley harvest which they chose from a BM interior paint chart but had it done by SW in an exterior paint. They had shutters on that upstairs over which, for them, was garage and upstairs, and garage led into basement. The shutters were painted a very dark espresso color as was their front door and they had a brass kick plate and brass door knocker. I helped son choose colors as DIL wants everything to be beige. ;-) He likes color but we have to hold him back just a bit.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Maybe a design seed will help get you thinking a little larger in your color selection....don't normally think of a softer blue with brick, but it can work....

Or maybe go with a softer green with beige.

Or tone it down with grays for a more subdued effect
    {{!gwi}}

Or maybe think about fall and berries

Or go for a taupe palette with the brick and red as an accent

Or something with a forest green

Or mixing it with blues is a wonderful combo

Lots of options depending on which appeals to you....

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I like those greens but I think the house might get lost in the background with green paint. Plus, foundation landscaping and green paint can be tricky to look good together. Only some shades of green work. Are those shrubs with bare legs staying?

I would not paint the brick unless you absolutely hate it. I see it is in the portico as well as extending to the foundation. That is a lot and could end up being a pain.

However, finding good colors to go with the brick is more problematic than colors to go with the roof I think. Probably the existing color was trying to match the brick. Maybe a deeper shade of that color. Not quite chocolate, but coppery bronze.

I agree shutters would be great. The door needs to be bright to pop in the dark portico.

Here's a stucco and brick house with tan just to get a visual:

Here's a coppery brown (BM Abbey Brown) that might work with brick.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

how about a warm grey or cream? These colors work well together. I think your brown roof will be fine.

• dakota01
    10 years ago

Love that moss green then do the brick in a soft white. My only concern would be the amount of grass you have, it could end up being too much green, then your landscape would need to change to add color.
    Maybe someone could do a photoshop on here to help you out.

I can almost see black/brown shutters and leaving the other colors alone, and a bright red door, red annuals and colorful summer flower pots

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

It looks to me like your roof is more of a greyish brown than the current paint which seems orange-brown. The grey brown allows for more variety in color than you might expect.

Although your brick is on the orange side, I wouldn't bring that out in my paint colors -- I would avoid coppery, orange-y, yellow-y. (I also would not paint the brick, even though I don't like orange brick -- finding just the right color scheme will look better in the near and long term). Is there some slate grey in the brick -- looks like there might be?

I love sage green in nearly all circumstances, but I really think that a slate blue would work better to pull it all together.

If you have an extra roof shingle, and maybe a bit of the brick, you could take them to Home Depot and scan them for coordinating color suggestions. Maybe some other stores offer this too.

• northernsky76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just when i think i may have it narrowed down i see a whole other set of color options based on the posts above. Really appreciate the input.

The Roof is a dark brown with hints of coppery color in it. The siding is just a dark brown stain. The other trick is the brick. It has and orange color with hints of black and beige colors.

Our first instinct was to play off the color of the mortar and go with a brownish/cream color. But i like the green family. But never thought of how it would blend with all the green around my house already.

Our plan for the front door is to have white trim around it with maybe a lighter brown or even a blue or orange door. The doors are actually double doors. Glass doors in front and solid behind it. They are old doors but cannot afford to replace them at this time.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I would go with green. At some point, you will need to rep,ace the roof and you could move away from the brown, but the green would still work beautifully with a black or dark grey roof.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Do you like the siding? It's a small area, so not too much to replace, I'm guessing. I would replace it with clapboard, which would go well with your brick, from a company like James Hardie .

10 years ago

Wish I knew how to post. Multiple pics. Here's one example:

10 years ago

And one more : just another possible idea.

• northernsky76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I a really liking the cream colors posted. When i hold up a sample against my brick it pulls out some of the colors on some of the brick as well as an accent.

When i check the greens, i agree they tend to make the house blend in with all the trees around us. We plan to add more color in landscaping as well in front of the three windows and there is a garden bed just to the right in my picture, though not visible. I plan to put a small flowering tree there.

I am also leaning toward a cream colored trim. After talking it over this weekend we definitely want to brighten the color. Right now it just appears too dark.

All the postings are appreciated. They have given us many ideas and colors to put on our test paper.