Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

How to insert a pic from an online 'page' or catalog?

oofasis
16 years ago

If I want to get forum feedback on a piece of furniture or a design idea I've seen online, how can I post the picture inside my message? I know how to add my own photos but not how to copy from something I've seen online. I know I can create a link, but I'd like to include the picture directly within my message. Can anyone instruct me? Thanks.

Comments (24)

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Just right click on the picture you want, click on copy image location. Then go back in and paste that info where you normally post your photo location info.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

If you want to include the picture the best bet is to go to image shack, then as caroleoh says, grab the properties, then paste it into image shacks location. Instead of upload image, change it to url.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image shack

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Have you figured it out yet? If not, I think I have some other instructions I can give you. I don't know these that are posted.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

Easily enough.

Right click the photo
    Copy and entire URL address
    Past it between the " " in this string:

img src="put the address here"

Stick a behind the entire string without any spaces.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I have never done one of those. May have to try.

FYI - On the kitchen forum there was a good thread on text in messages if anyone is interested.

It is really cool ! >

Here is a link that might be useful: Other text info

• oofasis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope, I couldn't get it to work with dgmarie's suggestion. I didn't follow-thru with Image Shack 'cause I'd have to register. Brutuses, would you help, please? Thanks.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

My code will work. Are you sure you are following the directions?

You have to copy the URL address of the image (by right clicking the image and then selecting properties and then highlighting and copy the address) not the URL of the webpage it is on.

See?

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I'll give it a shot - been ages since I had to use code - anyone know why this site doesn't have it's own storage options?

There ya go!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Finally. I was trying to put the {{!gwi}}

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Oh, that is pretty! And I am saving these directions, too..

• oofasis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let's see...

Oh, big hugs to you all!!! Thanks so much.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

kathleen li, it is from a site that I look at all the time.

(Sorry to hijack. It is kinda like a commercial break:)

Here is a link that might be useful: garden structures

• budge1
    16 years ago

Okay, I am an absolute luddite. What if I have an imac with a track pad and no right clicker?

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

Please note that you are stealing bandwidth when you do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read about it here.

• zeebee
    16 years ago

Homemaker, just to clarify forum etiquette: do you mean that we shouldn't post pics in our messages, but set up a link to the pics instead? It's much easier to give feedback if I don't have to go to a link to view pictures, but I don't want to get on anyone's bad side here...

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Go ahead and post pictures into the message, but only from your own photo storage site.

It's just that when someone else is paying to have those photos posted on a website for their business (or on their personal website), it's not fair to make them pay when we are posting them here.

I have saved inspiration photos to my Photobucket account and shared them here. I always try to give credit to the site that I got them from.

Is that clearer than mud now? LOL

• zeebee
    16 years ago

Gotcha - thanks.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

It's a little clearer. But it is more time consuming to download and repost. (My photobucket is slow on uploading.) I was really excited to learn the bandwidth stealing way.

With that said, I am assuming that it has to be pennies in bandwidth for each pic. Plus, if I post a pic of a lamp and tell people about it, isn't that free advertising for them?

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

Please show me where, in the above three posts with stolen bandwidth photos there, is any reference to the original website? Free advertising how???

It might be pennies for you to post it, but every time it is viewed (look how long some posts are) it costs money and if a site exceeds its bandwidth, genuine customers may not be able to see the photos.

I suppose it's OK for you to pocket any change you might find on my coffee table when you are visiting my hme too, right?

Sorry, but this is one of my hot buttons.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I am sorry to get you so upset. I did not think it was that big of a deal. And I did link the website for the item I posted.

(I will not pocket any change from your house because I am afraid to come over ;-)

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

If you right click the images, you can see exactly where they came from. No one is stealing anything. In fact, posting photos that may lead you to the catalogs website is exactly what the catalogs would like. You are advertising their products for free. Homemaker, unless you own Gardenweb (and every other message board on the planet where this occurs), I'm not sure why this is a problem for you. If a site didn't want you to do just what we did, they'd simply disable the right click options for their images, and Gardenweb et al could disable the use of the img src code. I'm sure that Target ad and the Immodium AD ads pay well for Gardenwebs bandwidth usage.

• HomeMaker
    16 years ago

I will not pocket any change from your house because I am afraid to come over

I really do not bite - I've even been called a really nice person in RL. :-)

I'm just tired of people stealing bandwidth from my site and so I get a bee in my bonnet about it.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Just so I'm on the up and up here, the lamp picture I grabbed came from the Lampsplus website. I really don't know the legal issues involved here if any - talking about bandwidth is akin to talking math, in my world and I don't DO math except under duress ;-

As for any ethical issues, the last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes. I just wanna see the pictures for decor purposes!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

You do not have to join imageshack.

Some businesses are pretty web knowledgeable. Instead of disabling the right click, they have it coded that eventually the photo will turn into something else.. I stole this image from say lamps plus web site. There are others that turn to curse words.

I agree with homemaker, and there are sites that don't allow you posting photos from anything that isn't a site that you pay for. A computer site I go to the mods will edit photos out if they come straight from a business.

If people borrow images using the sites bandwidth (url) without uploading to their own site, prices do eventually go up. It will end up costing more to host the business web site, which will in turn be put in the price of the products they sell as they will eventually raise prices.

Sure people do it all of the time, but I am not one of them. I would hate that it was done to me and not every site allows you to disable right clicking. Even if you can disable it, there are still ways to get around it.

I do understand it takes longer to upload to a site like imageshack or picasa but prices are high enough for some things.