Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurora_sb16_gw

Need help picking a lighter warm neutral paint!

aurora_sb16
12 years ago

Just painted my entire house Tobacco Road formula from decor chicks blog... turned out way darker and more gold than any picture of tobacco road on the internet! (got it at sherwin williams) I was hoping it would be lighter and less gold with more tan! It looks good in my kitchen, but aweful in my living room! And everyone on the internet says it goes with anything... this really doesn't. I am deciding between Plantation beige, Pittsfield buff, Tobacco road at 50%, or just trying to get the millenium tobacco road from Lowes which seems to be more tan than gold. (To repaint the living room)

These are pics from my house, but they really don't show how gold it is on my walls!

Comments (8)

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Take a good look at SW Believable Buff. It is "lighter and less gold". Very pretty, neutral.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Hi there,

I don't have a paint color to recommend to you but I wanted to point out that your carpet has a pinkish undertone, and, your hardwood floor has a yellow undertone. As long as you are choosing a paint with either a yellow undertone or a pink undertone one or the other room isn't going to look good.

Might I suggest going either really light, like cream, or maybe head in a different direction, like green which would go with both undertones? A warm grey could work too but I have virtually no experience with choosing grey paint colors so I cant advise a specific color.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

OOH! Angrea is right - green would be nice!

• susanka
    12 years ago

We are really enjoying our SW "Cherish Cream". It changes subtly depending on the light. Idon't have photos, but I'd suggest you take home a small amount of it and give it a try. The SW "samples" don't always match the actual paint color, we have found. Good luck.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Actually I think the tobacco road looks great with your furniture, and it looks good in the kitchen too. The only thing that isn't working is the color of the carpet with all the other furnishings. How about putting down some larger rugs. I see you have a rug there with some red in it, how about a larger carpet with more red? Red would look great with that scheme you have going!

• nutmegxo
    12 years ago

The color itself looks beautiful on the walls. I think it is the carpet that is making everything look off. Like andreadeg mentioned, it seems to have pinkish undertones (the carpet) and when you mix different undertones in one room, everything starts to look "dirty" for lack of a better word. If you want to steer away from golds, maybe sample some beigey colors that do not clash with the pink undertones in the carpet. I used a SW color in my last house called Familiar Beige...it might work with that carpet.

• cocorhum
    11 years ago

I just had the same problem - sample of TR mixed at Sherwin Williams and it's very gold looking. I recently had SW match Behr Raffia Ribbon (which is a less gold / more tan) and it looks more like the pictures I have seen online of TR. One blogger even says the TR she had Home Depot mix up is an exact match for the Raffia Ribbon paint chip. May I ask what color you ended up repainting your home?