Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

How do you feel about cabs in kitchen - 2 colors?

saltnpeppa
15 years ago

I just can't let it go.....I am dying to do something else in this kitchen!! Not that I even have the time but I just keep thinking it could be so much BETTER with a few tweaks & additions.

Glazed cream on top run of cabs with keeping the wood tone on the bottom?

Keep the oven & refrig tower in the wood tones?

Too trendy?

Backsplash still needs to be addressed, too - many of you know there was a mistake with the checkered board.

I just can't help it......I can't get it out of my head - althou, it is fine - I think this house needs a more dramatic kitchen.

I love the look of this one by Aktillery....

And I am sorry to post this again.....but my kitchen.

{{gwi:1543791}}

Here is a drawing I did to show some tweaks on the upper cabs on the sink wall.

{{!gwi}}

Okay, you can tell me to shut up if you want to - my DH wants to tell me:) :) This kitchen just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Smiles:)

Comments (33)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Personally I like the look of two tones very much!

• User
    15 years ago

I love your inspiration photo and think the same look would be perfect for your kitchen!

• momto4boys
    15 years ago

I love the two toned. Getting ready to do black lowers, and white uppers myself.

• senko
    15 years ago

What is your paint on the walls? It is the perfect color I am looking for.
    I agree that you need some more drama with your kitchen, but I am hesitant about two color kitchen: It is an expensive investment and more of a fashion thing that may not hold up in time. How about adding one more cabinet at the end which goes all-the way down to counter-top; adding bottom trim to the cabinets; adding undercabinet lighting; ornate brackets for the eating area. I can not see the other wall, so no comments on that part.
    But even if you do nothing, your house still looks beatiful as it is.
    Good luck.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen is nice as is. But cream painted cabinets with a glaze would look good for the top cabinets too. Do you have undercabinet lighting?

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Scooby...I love the look and came very close to going with a green stained maple for our lower cabinets and white uppers. Chickened out at the last minute and still regret it.

I say go for it!

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, good. I am glad yall are liking the idea!!

My thoughts were.....I can add more trim/ plate rack/ the cab to the counter like Senko was talking alot easier without having to match the finish of the exsisting cabs (more expensive to order from cab company).

I do not have undercab lighting.....I am making a list for an electrician to come out to the house. I will ask about that.

I have an extra cabinet so I'll work on a sample with it & see what yall think.

I plan on using the cabs around the cooktop to add the cab going down to the counter - stacking them on top of a drawer stack. Then I can get an unfinished mantle hood (or beg DH to make one for me) & not worry about matching exsisting wood tones - the vent the builder put in just doesn't do it for me!!

Persnickety - I would love distressed green cabs!!

Senko, the wall color is an old Duron color Ardmore Green - SW can mix it for you. I even had it mixed at Home Depot before......emergency kitchen painting over hot pink walls on a Sat. nite!!

I also want to add beadboard around the perimeter of the kitchen/hearth room. 4 foot tall - think that would work?

Smiles:)

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

Since yo useem to want to change I am going to offer my two cents. Though I happen to like the way your kitchen is. But if you wanted to change it, you could either paint it, or add textile details or both:
    Paint the cabs a dark distressed cream.
    Paint the door black, or a burnt caramel (darker than persimmon.)
    Paint the bead board the same as the cabinets.
    Add a toile table cloth to the table, and match the lampshades above the island and the table to it (either toile, or black and cream check.)
    Add black and cream checked cushions to the two stools at the island.
    On the arch you could add plates in black flow ware.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

You wouldn't be sorry!! When I built my new home, I knew I wasn't going to be 'talked out' of doing something I had always wanted to do. The ovens/drop-in stove are on one wall, and on the opposite wall are the dishwasher/sink~these cabs are the glazed ivory. On the perimeter bank of wall I have the dark cherry/walnut stained cabs(glass front doors). Like yourself, I have the dark wood floors, one reason I didn't want all dark stained cabs, but knew I didn't want a kitchen full of glazed either.

Needless to say, I LOVE it, and have had so many compliments with people saying 'I never would have thought of that'. Thanks to my many decorating magazines, I saw this idea and knew it was exactly what I wanted. ;o)

• budge1
    15 years ago

I think it would look amazing! Okay, I have to admit I have black lowers and cream glazed uppers so my impartiality is a bit suspect, but I think it would absolutely suit your space.

Your whole style is very much like aktillery's, I think your room will look stunning and it will suit the adjoining rooms as well.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I've always loved the "look" of your kitchen and think that this change would enhance it even more. And of course, I'm all in favor of the bead board, too. I put bead board up in mine last year, at a height of 54" so I could use it behind my counters, too, as a backsplash, and have never regretted it. Only wish I'd done it years ago. I'd love to have the blend of stained lowers and painted glazed upper cabinets, too, but would have to get all new cabinets to do that, which is out of the question for us right now.

Do what your heart desires, and have fun!!

• amac
    15 years ago

Scooby,

I never post here..... but, I felt compelled to respond to your post. Personally, I think YOUR kitchen looks much nicer than the inspiration picture. Your wood tones are very nice with your paint colors. And this coming from a woman with off white painted cabinets, which I love, but with everything else you have - I think it looks great the way it is. I also feel the two tone look could become dated (please don't be mad anyone) I just really think you have a lot of good going on in that kitchen. I think to take it up a notch.... it is screaming for a rug - even a large sisal rug. Also, if you are looking to add a bit more.... I think your lights over the bar area could be a bit larger and possibly be lowered a bit. Even very small chandeliers would look great.

Please don't take my comments as negative. I really think you've got a great thing going. It would be a lot of work to change the cabinets and I'm not sure you would be happy long term.

Just my .02 cents

Respectfully submitted...

I wish I knew how to post photos.... As I said I never, ever post, but I felt I needed to reply.

Also, we built our dream home 3 years ago and I had it set in my mind to paint the hardwood floor in my daughters room. I was dead set on my decision.... My trim carpenter talked me out of it and now I'm so happy I didn't do it and listened to him. Take more time and really weigh the pros and cons.

• amac
    15 years ago

Scooby,

Also, what if you got some great little seat cushions for your bar stools? Something with a little color that coordinates with table area? I think you just need a little more fluff... fabrics and rugs - not paint.

Again, I am only responding to your wanting to do more to the kitchen - not a criticism to what you already have. You are on the right track!

• debbimc
    15 years ago

I love your home --very nice. My two cents since the undercabinet lighting has com eup--I have it & love it--Our electrician put lights on top of the cabinets as well & I love that--yours likely would be enhanced by over & under lights. Also what about the wall with arch opening could it be painted a contrast shade or something?? I am a novice--just my 2 cents ...

• teacats
    15 years ago

Goodness!!! -- do we have to take away your paint brushes???? LOL!! I am JUST teasing!

I do love your whole kitchen NOW ...... but I must admit that the inspiration photo is truly yummy ..... and I think that the idea would work well in your kitchen too!

((now step away from the paint cans .... thats it ..... take a deeeep breath ..... and pour some wine for yourself ..... and pour a big glass for me ....... Heeheeheeheeheeeee .....))

Jan (who also gets that "LET'S JUST PAINT" fever too!! LOL!)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Scooby. Amac has a good point.

Maybe a puppy or something? :)

Seriously, do what you want, but you know how I feel about your kitchen now (for whatever that's worth). Also, remember that it's a smaller space than most and you already have lots of contrast going on elsewhere.

Parma, saying "Step away from the kitchen". LOL

• childofgrace
    15 years ago

I to believe that your kitchen is way better than your inspirational picture.

Why don't you try painting the bead board on the underside of your bar a rich red color to match your chandlier shades?

Maybe it will give you enough perk in your kitchen to send you on your way to another project. I also get hung up on certain things in my house, but find that I'm just looking for any decorating fix.

Look around, there must be something in your house that needs attention more than this beautiful kitchen!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Aktillery's kitchen is one of my all time favorites.

I think yours could look stunning if done in a similar way!

Speaking as someone who just re-did a perfectly "fine" kitchen, I say go for it.

• senko
    15 years ago

I support the ideas proposed by amac, 100%.
    Also I propose another idea: Glass doors (just a pair) adds quite a bit of sparkle. Just a thought; I will do that in my kitchen.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I agree your kitchen is lovely as is. Does it have any natural light or windows, though? I love my under cabinet lights and definitely recommend it. As for doing some cream uppers I think it would really help to make the space seem brighter and more cheery (if that's possible)--assuming it does not have a window on the opposite wall since you have not show pics of that wall. I am not a big fan of plate racks--too much wasted space--and your kitchen does not look that large. I much prefer glass fronted cabinets. AKtillery's kitchen has long been one of my favorites as well.

• homeagain
    15 years ago

I've always loved that inspiration photo, but your kitchen is beautiful as is also.

But if you want a change, how about adding the hutch-like cabinet all the way to the counter over your island in a glazed cream. Bump up your cabinet over the sink and add a plate rack in glazed cream. Change out your range hood to something in glazed cream. This will give you the two tone look without having to re-paint all of your cabinetry.

I'm not sure if you have space for it but the little island on the left end of this larger island in a glazed cream with a dark butcher block could be beautiful too. Ignore the rest of the photo. I couldn't find one of just the freestanding island.

• homeagain
    15 years ago

Here's one of my inspiration photos. You could even do something like the open bookcase all the way to the counter in the cream.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I am going to get to the point. You want it, do it. I think it will look great.

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I love the kitchen above and I drool over Margieb's kitchen with the cream island and open dining room with cream cabinets and the rest of the cabinets a wood tone.

Good Luck!
    Alicia

• jenanla
    15 years ago

I love the idea of mixing colors. Aktillery's is one of my favorite's.

I decided to go with 3 different colors and 3 different door styles.

Here's an "in progress" picture

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Sorry for the large picture, I resized it and it was much smaller when I previewed the message.

Jenn

• amykath
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the nice words regarding my kitchen!

Scooby- yours is really gorgeous! I always loved the multi colored kitchen cab idea. I do not live in that awesome kitchen anymore but just bought a place and am gutting the kitchen. I am looking forward to it.

Good luck with yours!

Jenanla- very nice kitchen!!!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I'm going to have two colors in mine.. quartersawn oak (stained) and slate blue. The island will have inset drawers (perimeter is frameless). Different countertop materials too.

• maidinmontana
    15 years ago

I love love love your kitchen, but I feel your pain, when I want/think I want to change something, I'm not settled til I do. You did get a lot of really good advice here, but as always, go with what YOU want, otherwise you'll forever be chasing it.

Here's a tad of opinion from me. (Stepping put of the kitchen for a moment) I would find a bold color to paint on the dining room wall that you see from the kitchen. A nutmeg color or deep red. I think it would frame the kitchen nicely. And, paint is cheap. It may just give you the missing peice yer looking for.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aktillery - I hope you don't mind I posted your kitchen but I do truly love it!! I hope you keep us updated with your new kitchen. Bet your house sold fast b/c of your previous kitchen!!

jenanla, your kitchen is gorgeous!! I love all the elements you have chosen!! I hope you keep us updated - that reddish color would be perfect in my house, too:)

Homeagain, thanks so much for the pics - an island just like that one has been in my mind!! I also like the idea of open shelving over the pennisula - I wouldn't have to change the pendant lights - I have tried to keep my eyes open for an antique piece I could repurpose for this spot.

Parma & Teacats - yall are so funny!! I can't help it:) My Dh says save your ideas for the next house - but with the market like it is.....I am here for awhile!!

Amac, I am so glad you posted!! I totally hear what you and Senko are saying! I did have a sisal rug in there but my puppy thought that was his personal litter box:( I still need window treatments & could add cushions for the barstools at the same time - great idea.
    Simpletaste - great ideas, too.

Pattycakes, I would love to see pics of your kitchen!!

Thank you all so much for your advice!! I am sorry if I didn't call out to your personally - it would be a looooooong post but I appreciate the vote of confidence!! This will not be an overnite thing like Reno! It seems like I have been in percolate mode with this kitchen for years! It just doens't feel right to me yet even thou it is fine. I also feel that for the neighborhood the kitchen could be better.

BTW, I kinda like this rug for under the table & if I got a small island - get one to go under the island that matches. What do you think?
    {{!gwi}}

Of course, everyone has seen this one, too but this is the eat in kitchen part. I still need window treatments & am leaning towards the pheasant fabric in a roman shade - maybe with a red border. You can barely see the white trim by the table there is a window that is 69" wide so it lets in good light & I love to look in the back yard where the bird feeders are!
    Old pic...

>

I found these chair cushions at Ballards for the barstools in the red check

Smiles:)....

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I too like your kitchen as is.

Didn't you post once about wanting to add a plate rack or shelves to the left of the upper cabinets? Could you do that and paint just that part to satisfy the itch?

I do think the different tops and bottoms is trendy, and in a few years someone will be forced to deal with undoing it or painting everything. (But then again, the way Americans are constantly remodeling kitchens, it'll be time to rip it all out and start again anyway, so maybe not an issue!)

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

For me, your kitchen area is too "woody" looking. That's how mine was once. I ended up putting in a stainless steel island and a white painted dining set and bar stools. Painted cabinets would be striking in your kitchen and keep it from being too matchy-matchy.

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. We are about 1 week away from completion (if all goes well).

scoobyruby- Good luck with all of your decisions. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

I guess my picture didn't end up posting oversized at all.

Jenn