Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aunteemom

Neutral paint color

aunteemom
13 years ago

What is a good neutral paint color for rental home? Moldings are white semi gloss.

Comments (23)

• dawnp
    13 years ago

SW Kilim Beige
    BM Bone White
    Sw Irish Cream (my fav!)

• yayagal
    13 years ago

SW steamed milk

• jenes
    13 years ago

BM Shaker Beige

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

That's a nice list o'colors. All very good options to check out. I'm partial to Shaker Beige.

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

BM Barely Beige
    BM Manchester Tan
    Ace Warm Scones

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'd go with mostly neutrals but not do 100% the same color throughout. It looks cheap. I'd use 3 colors with 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the bathrooms and one for the rest. If you want to really make it interesting, bedrooms can be a 4th color. If you want more flow, then pick a color and use that and do 50% as another color elsewhere.
    I think a pale yellow, gray and other mellow tones can be much nicer than just off white or beige. BM's Quiet Moments is a great color for bathrooms or anywhere else you want a nice vibe without a strong color.

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

Sabrina Soto from Get it Sold on HGTV has her favorite Ben Moore neutrals for staging listed on her website:

Bennington Gray
    Shaker Beige
    Shenandoah Taupe
    Bleaker Beige
    Dry Sage
    Silver Fox
    Manchester Tan

They're mostly taupe & beige, but the Dry Sage is a pretty, vibrant green. Since the purpose of staging is to make a home seem attractive and neutral so potential buyers can picture themselves living there, I'd think the same colors would work well to attract potential renters.

• sue36
    13 years ago

Our neighbor used Manchester Tan. Very nice, just enough color, and it seems like it would work with a lot of other colors.

• natal
    13 years ago

Another vote for Shaker Beige. Have it in the kitchen/keeping room/hallway and getting ready to add it to another hallway.

• B H
    13 years ago

I'd go with mostly neutrals but not do 100% the same color throughout. It looks cheap. I'd use 3 colors with 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the bathrooms and one for the rest. If you want to really make it interesting, bedrooms can be a 4th color. If you want more flow, then pick a color and use that and do 50% as another color elsewhere.
    I think a pale yellow, gray and other mellow tones can be much nicer than just off white or beige. BM's Quiet Moments is a great color for bathrooms or anywhere else you want a nice vibe without a strong color.

I tend to agree what with all the houses we've looked at over the last 2 yrs.

As someone who has recently leased 3 houses, 2000-3000 sf done entirely in the same neutral color can be overwhelming in its sameness. We are currently leasing a house with the "builder's palette": a beige/tan with pink undertones. Our house, with the exception of the terrible eucalyptus green in the formal LR, looks like it's been plastered with Band-Aids. It's awful BUT neutral. ;)

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Anything (and multiple) colors off of the BM colorstrip w/ Deleware Putty. I painted 3 rooms 3 different colors off of it (each a color apart) and was thrilled w/ the results.

Proof positive that multiple colors off of one neutral strip isn't boring.

• catkin
    13 years ago

BM Revere Pewter!

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Our master bedroom is SW Relaxed Khaki and I LOVE the color. It looks beige-y/khaki during the day and at night is has more of a green hue to it. The master bath is painted SW Wool Skein, which I believe is on the same strip as the Relaxed Khaki. That too is a nice neutral color.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Some of my favorites from BM: Revere Pewter, Muslin, Everlasting, Camouflage, Monroe Bisque, Edgecomb Gray, Titanium, Healing Aloe.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Ben Moore 234 Khaki, used to be called Golden Mist. Slightly greenish undertone.

• mpwdmom
    12 years ago

Wheeling Neutral is a good choice. Powell Buff & Pittsfield Buff are a little lighter but they would look great too.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Saypoint...what a beautiful room!

"I'd go with mostly neutrals but not do 100% the same color throughout. It looks cheap."
    Really? I've never heard that before. I used one color in mine.
    I'd think that especially in a rental home, it would be easier to rent out in one color.

• sis2two
    12 years ago

Loribee-- what is your paint color? I remember it was really pretty and warm looking. Thank you.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I agree with Loribee ...... I would go with one neutral color. Not everyone likes the same colors, not everyone like multiple colors, etc. At least with a neutral, the renters stuff won't clash.

Lots of good colors were listed above. My favorite is a light greige... Pittsburgh Paints Moth Grey... which looks a lot like BM Edgecomb Grey.

Good luck! :)

• crazyone
    12 years ago

dianalo - what do you do if your kitchen is in the middle of the rest of the house.. open concept and all?

• User
    12 years ago

You guys do realize that comment was written in February right? :c)

• loribee
    12 years ago

Maybe we can hear the outcome???

Sis, I used BM standish white and I'm really happy with it.
    Thanks~

• lolauren
    12 years ago

The thread could always help someone else out in the future. :) (You did mention on another thread that you, like many of us, research extensively on this forum when you're working on a project. I have read most old threads re: projects I'm working on.)

I'm also curious of the outcome.