Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye_mary

BM Revere Pewter

buckeye.mary
15 years ago

So, I'm trying to compromise with my husband as we work through our home painting and decorating, but it's a constant battle. I'm not used to this level of male interest in home decor!

Anyway, our current project is painting the powder room. I think I'm sold on BM Bennington Gray because it's a lighter version of our bedroom color, Ralph Lauren Sahara, which we love. But my husband insists on Revere Pewter. I'm afraid it's going to look too cold in a 5'x10' north-facing room with a window with closed blinds. We want to keep the walls neutral because we plan on moving in a few years. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

For reference, the floors are honey-toned hardwood, sink is a white pedestal, and the art we finally agreed upon is an up-close painting of a magnolia blossom.

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I have Revere Pewter in my master bath. The tile on our floors/shower is a warm beige (combined w/ black on the floor) and we have a large wood vanity, so maybe that helps with the 'warmth' factor, but I just don't find the wall color to be too cold. I don't have my fandeck here so I can't compare it to the other color, but I like Revere Pewter in my room, FWIW.

• declansmom
    15 years ago

My house is painted BM Revere Pewter. It's obviously going to be different indoors, but it is a beautiful, calm color.

{{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

What a charming house you have declainsmom!

• buckeye.mary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the photos and opinions!

I wonder if a gray has too much brown or taupe in it, it just looks muddy. Maybe that's why it seems like a lot of the taupey colors have green undertones and I can't really find a "warm" gray or a grayish taupe.

• callieandkarin
    15 years ago

declansmom-- love the Revere Pewter on your stucco, and especially how it looks with your slate roof! I have been trying for a while to find a color to paint the stucco on my 1920's tudor (with a Vermont slate roof). It's currently creamy off-white, but I think I love your color combo. Thanks for the inspiration!

• declansmom
    15 years ago

newdawn and callieandkarin.....thank you for your compliments.
    I have had this color on my house for the past 7 years and I still love it. I particularly like it with black.
    Also, not that it matters, but my roof is shingled, not slate (but one can dream!!)

• declansmom
    15 years ago

Hi doingygirl....Thank you! My home is actually a Sears Kit Home built in the 30's. I live in Westchester County, NY.
    Just out of curiosity, what type of home do you think mine is?

• callieandkarin
    15 years ago

declansmom-- I'm a neighbor, my Tudor is in Bronxville. :)

Your roof and your roof line are both lovely, it really looks like slate! I admire the architectural details of your house, very cool that its a Sears home.

Your stucco is in great shape. We need to have ours redone. Have you used anyone in the area?

• declansmom
    15 years ago

Wow...callieandkarin....I LOVE Bronxville area. I used to shop there all the time. Are you familiar with Mano e Mano near the movie theatre? (One of my favorite stores)
    We did not have to re do any of the stucco, so I don't have anyone to recommend.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I have BM Bennington Gray in my 2 story foyer and the two adjoining hallways. I love it. My space is East facing, so the color is a light taupe during the day. But I especially like it at night when the taupe appears richer. My hardwood floors are a medium toned carmel color.

• megradek
    15 years ago

I'll have pics of Revere Pewter next week - it will be in the hallways, stairwell and bfast nook...will post then!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

buckeye.mary - have you decided on a color, yet? I have been interested in this thread because Revere Pewter is one that I've been thinking about, as well. About 3 months ago, I sent a message to Dunn Edwards asking what color of their's is closest to Revere Pewter and they sent me a sample chip of Porous Stone. It looks the same to me.

mairin - I look forward to seeing your pictures : )
    declansmom - I love your house & landscaping. The Revere Pewter does go well with your black trim. Is the other trim a white white or an off white/creamy white?

• leahcate
    15 years ago

buckeye.mary: why not simply paint a wall in the Revere Pewter and check it out in day and night light. That seems easy, but maybe I missd something?
    declansmom...your charming home...sigh!
    callieandkarin: my son & fam are in Manhattan and I am so in hopes they will move to your beautiful area when the suburbs come calling ( pretty soon, I think). . I'd ask you if it is young family friendly, but that would be hijacking a thread :>O....sorrrry:>/

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Declansmom, count me in as loving your home, also! It has a lot of charm and I really like the Revere Pewter.

• callieandkarin
    15 years ago

declansmom-- yes, I do know Mano a Mano!Aside from the parking issues, I love how Bronxville is an old-fashioned, real, vibrant Main Street town. Again love your home (I'm especially jealous that it's in such great condition!), and the Revere Pewter and the landscaping are beautiful.

leahcate-- hopefully the OP will love the Revere Pewter enough to forgive the thread highjacking! Bronxville has great schools and seems like a terrific family community. My favorite thing about it is the 24 minute train ride to Grand Central, but with the older trees and interesting homes you feel like you are a world away from the city. Downsides are cost of living and congestion (I wish I had more land separating me and my neighbors!).

• buckeye.mary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No decision yet, although I'm thinking of giving up the fight for Bennington Gray. I was originally thinking that if we ever paint the rest of the open floor-plan house, we'd choose a taupe like Bennington Gray or lighter. And I'd want the other room colors to flow. But maybe it doesn't matter that a tiny bathroom's walls don't match the rest of the house.

That being said, Revere Pewter does look nice next to the painting we picked out, especially with brushed nickel fixtures in the room too. I know testing it out on a wall would be the best option, but for some reason, we just end up agonizing over tiny paint chips to make the final decision! I'll have to post a photo when we're done.

P.S. I don't mind the hijacking. ;)

• declansmom
    15 years ago

laurie...thanks for the compliment! The white is a BM Dove White. It looks faded now because it's been quite a while since it was painted!
    buckeye.mary.....I, too am sorry for hijacking your thread. I think that leahcate is right. Paint one wall RP and look at it in different lights before deciding. Thanks for being so sweet about the hijacking!

• megradek
    15 years ago

Here's revere pewter in our hallway (kitchen and bfast nook aren't done yet). I think it's turning out to be a very nice color, not too cool or warm, almost cameleon like. HTH

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting the picture...it looks fantastic!!
    What's the color name of your white trim?
    Don't forget to post a pic of your kitchen & breakfast nook when they are done!

• megradek
    15 years ago

It's BM decorator's white. I was leaning towards Dove White, but decided against it because it looked too warm against some of the other shades in the house. It's a good white for trim and looks good in the glossy finish.

• buckeye.mary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mairin - That color looks really nice in your photo! Did you use a tinted primer (or any primer)?

We're going to paint our bathroom tomorrow. I'm excited to see how the Revere Pewter turns out since I would have never thought to use it initially, but it seems to be a very popular color.

• megradek
    15 years ago

no tinted primer! Good luck with the painting tomorrow. It will look great - post pictures!

• dlambe81_hotrmail_com
    13 years ago

I am painting my kitchen and living room this color....it's all open. Looking for another color that will look good with it for my entrance and hall...any suggestions?