Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannysmith18

Where to purchase discount quality upholstery fabrics - NY, NJ

grannysmith18
10 years ago

I've got 10 dining room chairs to get reupholstered, and I'll need about 20 yards of fabric. All the upscale brands are very expensive. Are there any places in the NY, NJ, even Philadelphia area that might have a nice selection with reasonable prices? I need a durable, contemporary fabric to blend with my gray colors. Everything seems to be in the browns and beiges.

And, I want to like it :-).

Comments (19)

• seww
    10 years ago

Have you checked JoAnn Fabrics? They carry lots of small swatches(12x15)
    And if you sign up you'll be able to use a 40 off coupon.
    My experience is that the fabric arrives quickly.
    Sue

• grannysmith18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I have looked in JoAnn but I just didn't find anything I liked. Lots of pretty stuff, but more traditional than I want, and not a lot of gray. Calico Corners also has a big selection, and they have sales periodically, but . . . I don't know, nothing that I liked enough to buy.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Could you provide a link to a fabric or two that you like? We may be able to find something similar at a better price.

Also, please tell us what a good per yard price range would be for you.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Thanks Bee, the site says they have a store in the LA area too.

This post was edited by chispa on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 21:57

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Also, online places like www.iluvfabrix.com have proven, for me, to be very good resources. I've never been disappointed in the quality--top firms.

• grannysmith18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for those suggestions Beekeepers Wife and Vedazu. I'll be taking that drive to Delaware - I just hope the snow goes away at some point. Right now I can't even picture myself getting out of here to the supermarket.
    I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a picture of some fabrics I like.
    I guess I'd like to pay something in the $30 range, but I'd probably go a bit higher if it was a great buy.

• User
    10 years ago

I haven't been in years (like 20) but it's still in existence- FABRICLAND on rt 22 Plainfield NJ.
    I remember there was also a very good place in East Brunswick around Rt 18 but I don't seem to be finding it, may not exist anymore... will try to think of others. I guess most have gone the way of no more.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Fabric Row in Philadelphia and the Jo-mar chain. Fabric Row is S. 4th St, south of South St (where all the hippies meet).

• theclose
    10 years ago

There is also The Fabric Mill in Plainview on Long Island. Great store. There used to be an Interior Alternatives on Long Island somewhere and it closed. That is a great store too.

Link to The Fabric Mill: http://www.fabricmill.com/

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I just bought fabric at Fabricade in Holbrook. They have a large sale selection (which I went to first), I found silk that was embroided, it originally sold for 75 a yard, after several reductions I paid 13 a yard.

Link. http://www.fabricadefabrics.com/contact/contact.htm

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

are you sure you need that much fabric? what kind of chairs are they? for our chippendale chairs, i figure on 1/2 yard each depending on repeat. less if it's a solid. 20 yards is a LOT of fabric.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Second vote for 4 th Street, Fabric Row in Philadelphia. Try Wilks Fabrics. I always find great fabrics there. Great prices. Very large selection. For trims, Marmelsteins.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

chispa--go to the LA one and report back! I wonder if they make the Mary McDonald fabric out there. I haven't seen it in the DE store. I've seen a lot of other great stuff, including Trina Turk's fabrics.

$30/yd will get you pretty much anything at this place.

• grannysmith18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sheilaaus, Fabricland is still there on Route 22, but their prices are discounted about 20%, which is not the great buy I'm looking for. Chances are that if I don't find anything else, that's where I'll end up purchasing. Mill End Shop used to be on Route 18 - great store, but has long since closed. Fewer and fewer people sew at home any more, and their business fell off until they couldn't stay open.
    Kateskouros, the seats on my chars are fully upholstered, and so need a lot of fabric. Once I select something, depending on the repeat, I may need only 1 3/4 yards per chair. I've already checked with a couple of different upholsterers who said the same thing. And they aren't the ones selling me the fabric, so they're not trying to get me to buy more than I need.
    I look forward to seeing Fabric Row in Philadelphia. I've also got a few leads to places in NYC.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Heeheehee to dedtired's musical reference.

• polly929
    10 years ago

Fabric warehouse on New Brunswick Avenue in Rahway. Really good prices. Only seamstresses know about it, it's really off the beaten path. It used to be in linden and moved several years ago. I believe there is another warehouse in Hackensack, but I could be wrong.

I've also ordered bolts of fabric from amazon and have gotten really good deals.

I found fabric land to be a bit pricey compared to the ones I mentioned.
    Good luck.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I had luck at Wilkes on fabric row in phila. There used to be free meter parking in the area on Saturdays, mornings I believe...it's a big parking ticket area.

I need some fabric and just haven't gotten back there, but that project had been sitting for a while anyway. It's nice to know that there are other local places I can check as well.

• grannysmith18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Polly929,
    I've been to Fabric Warehouse, and I agree it's a great place, but right now they haven't got anything I like. Someone told me to go when Lucille is there; she is the one who's very familiar with the inventory and what they're expecting in.
    I've also found a couple of possibilities in Fabric Collection, which is up the road from Fabricland on Route 22. The stuff Fabric Collection has (if they've got it in stock) is quite reasonable. The fabrics that would be special ordered typically get 20% off for a sizeable order, but they're pricey.
    Finally, I agree with hhireno - big shout out to dedtired for the musical wink.