Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Venting about choosing light fixtures...

pps7
14 years ago

Light fixtures have been the hardest thing to pick for our new construction. My builder uses a local lighting store that has a good reputation. Their prices are good. I'm having issues with the lighting designer/sales guy. I'll be honest-light fixtures are not my thing. I just don't care too much about them. I just want something nice a la RH or potterybarn. I love fixtures from Hudson valley or Hubbardton forge, but I can't afford a whole house full of fixtures in that price range. We did spulrge here and there. Generally we like recessed lighting.

The sales guy is really bugging me. It seems to me if I say up, he says down. I usually come to our meetings with pictures to give him an idea of what I'm thinking. And he always finds something wrong with my idea. He literally argues with me. We've met at least a dozen times. I'm really getting pissed. I don't have time to waste like this. Finally, I get fed up and say "What would you suggest?" He's never once made a suggestion that I'm like "wow, that's great idea". In fact all his suggestions are kind of like "No way". Like "Really?"

I've never built before. In fact I've never really picked out lighting fixtures, so maybe I have no idea what I'm doing, but I don't have bizarre taste either. I mean RH & Potterybarn are pretty mainatream. I think he thinks he's awesome and talented and I'm sorry , I just don't see it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (17)

• User
    14 years ago

You are fine. It's the sales guy. Ask for a replacement saying that your tastes this "gentleman's" just don't fit well. He obviously just doesn't "get" you and doesn't have an open mind to think anyone else knows better than he does or he'd be able to pick up on what it is you like and work with you. Yes, a designer is going to have their own opinions, but a good one will be able to work their clients tastes and not force their own tastes in said clients face.
    Remember it's your home. NOT his. If there isn't another designer that can work with you, remind him of that. He's not living with you so he needs to listen or you'll do it all yourself if they'll allow you to look through their catalogs. You might even check elsewhere. We searched and found our own lighting and are very happy with everything we found at Home Depot, Lowe's and even Target for one our bathroom fixtures. I bet you'd do better too since you'd be paying cash and not adding all that interest over the years. We paid cash for everything we possibly could when building. Even the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and fixtures.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

It's your house and you are the person who will live with the decisions, ao unless he gives you a reason that a certain fixture would not function in the planned location, then ignore him and order it.

Or, ask him specifically what or why he is making that statement about that fixture. He should be able to articulate his reasons for rejecting your choices. That information would be helpful to someone who isn't a lighting expert.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I think you have suffered enough with this guy. I would not have survived a dozen meetings. Ditch him and either do it over the internet or get another salesperson. Is there a store owner there you can talk to? They want you to be happy, right? Get your builder to find you someone new if you don't feel like having that conversation.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I agree, you need to ask for another salesperson. Better yet, you can post choices here and we'll help you.

• postum
    14 years ago

A dozen meetings with the lighting guy? Life is too short!

Unless there is something very unusual about your house (no windows? black walls? 40 foot ceilings?) choosing fixtures should not really be that difficult. If you've already figured out the placement then really it is now just a matter of taste.

Ask for another designer or just choose your own. It sounds like you know what you want, and NO, there is nothing bizarre about Pottery Barn or RH! There is something weird with your lighting guy!

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

I totally agree with the other posters. However, I noted that you said "lighting fixtures aren't your thing". Lighting is important in any design scheme, and, if it's not your thing and you are getting alot of static from the sales guy I'm wondering if your lighting plan is completely thought through? if you have the timeline to do it, check out a lighting design book. If not, post some of your lighting design plans here and folks here will lend a hand.

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

I think your choices are beautiful !! It sounds like it is time to work with another salesperson. It is YOUR home and he is there to please YOU. Be strong and get what you want!
    Good luck and keep us updated!

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

When we built, the lighting person showed us around, let us show them what style we liked for each area, then suggested lighting based upon the right size for each area. It was easy. In retrospect, they helped a ton with size/length, but style was up to me - as it should be up to you! If what you are picking out is the right size for your area, then go with your own style.

BTW - I have replaced only one of my original light fixtures (after 10 years) that I knew the minute it was in that I hated it. Left it for several years thinking it would grow on me, but finally just bit the bullet and got a different fixture. Definitely get what YOU want - or you'll end up replacing all of them and wasting your money.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

You aren't going crazy. Your choices are beautiful and the dude is an idiot.

Is there a cuter salesman hanging around? That is who I would ask.

:OD

• budge1
    14 years ago

Well, I have excellent taste and I love all your choices ;-)

Just for fun, post some of his choices for the same rooms.

I don't know about where you live, but here mainstream is not pottery barn and RH. Here mainstream is (and okay, i'm a bit of snob) stuff that looks like it came from kmart.

Go in to the store on your salesguys day off ask another person their opinion on a couple of your choices. If they have a better reaction, ask if they can take over your account. This is the fun part. Don't stick with someone who's making you crazy.

• User
    14 years ago

I thought I'd make your links easier for you. Add me to the list that think you did a good!
    Now add up the prices on these and see how much similar ones would cost with your builders store.

Exterior
    Foyer
    Dining Room
    Kitchen Island Pendants
    Masterbath
    Laundry Room
    Pool Table Light (not exact, but something similar to this)

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for listening to my venting and reassuring me that my choices aren't horrible. In his defense, alot of his criticism is scale and wattage. I do listen to him about those things. So if he says that the foyer fixture I like will be too small for that space. I'm willing to go towards a bigger fixture. The issue is that when he suggests a bigger fixture, I don't like it at all! He just doesn't get why I like the original fixture so much.

Another example- the formal powder room. I was going to choose a boring vanity fixture for above our mirror. It's a narrow room and there isn't room for sconces on either side. He suggested that we do something totally different with the powder room. I thought this was a good suggestion-to go outside the "bathroom" box a bit. So I suggested this fixture:

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/chandeliers/hubbardton-forge-10-1474-sweeping-taper-3-light-chandelier_g141860.html

He didn't like it. I'm not sure what's not to like. He said he didn't like the shape of that one. But instead he suggested a square cage chandelier. I didn't want sqaure b/c my trim, doors etc are pretty square and I wanted a more organic shape. Then he suggested a few ultra contemporary fixtures. There's nothing in my house that's ultra contemporary.

So then I suggested this one:

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/chandeliers/artcraft-lighting-ac380-claremont-3-light-chandelier-polished-nickel_g414252.html

Anyway, I still haven't picked something yet, but his suggestions were terrible. Not even close to what I was envisioning. I won't bore you with other details. We're almost done. I'm just going to email him the rest of my selections. I think the difficult thing is that I like traditional, but simple traditional. Not contemporary, but not alot of curly Q, and ornation either.

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks justgotabme for the links.

His prices are very similar to those online, so I don't mind ordering through him.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Your choices look wonderful! Super classic, and classy. not sure what that sales guy's problem is but, clearly, time to find a different sales guy, or a different store! Best of luck and please post pictures of your rooms or house during construction or when you are done! Can't wait to see it!

• User
    14 years ago

Sooo get rid of that sales guy. Sounds like he likes what he likes.

I love all your fixtures and I also happen to really like the 1st light you posted for your powder room.

• jockewing
    14 years ago

I liked every single one of the lights you chose. I see nothing wrong with your taste. Only caveat---maybe they all don't match exactly, which isn't really a problem. Is the designer suggesting the lights be more similar throughout?