Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Mirror Math II - mirrors flanking a bed

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I have done a mock up that is to scale. I couldn't find a photo of the actual bed head-on to insert. Here is the bed in our old house, so you get a better idea of its visual weight than the black lines in the mock-up

{{!gwi}}

So here are my assumptions in the mockup
1. The bed is to scale
2. The pendants are to scale
3. Pendant are shown at the height that works best (I tested them already)
4. The side tables shown are both 28" wide; I cannot go wider. One is 32" tall and the other is 28" tall. They are mainly here for illustrative purposes, I have not chosen a style or color yet.
5. I made top of the mirror as high as the bed (7.5")

Here are my questions:

1. Should the side table be solid or open? I generally prefer open, but does it need to have visual weight as it seems to support the mirror? Solid also gives me storage. But the bed is so airy (esp I do not want to use a bed skirt), will a mass look wrong next to it?

2. The mirror, IMHO, should be narrower then the nightstand (I am showing a 24" wide mirror vs 28" wide nightstand), but wider than the pendant (which is 20"). This dictates a narrow mirror frame too , since I think the glass need to be at least as wide as the pendant. Will 2" framing look skimpy on such a large mirror? Can I offset that skimpiness by using strong color? Assume the mirror will be custom sized and framed, btw.

4. How high should the mirror be? And how much space between the table and the bottom of the mirror? It's hard to line up with anything since the headboard stops at 46" and that seems way too high.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (23)

• User
    10 years ago

If you want to align the bottom of the mirrors with something, you could do so with the point at which the bars in the headboard cross. I would question the assumption that the total width of the mirror should be smaller than the nightstand, though. There are plenty of great pictures showing the mirror the same width as the nightstand. That gives you a few more inches to work with on the frame. Agree the actual reflective surfact should be the width or a bit larger than the diameter of the pendant lights.

Since you're going to have to have these made, would you consider a frame of traditional picture molding, deeper than any you've shown so far, in a kind of "old gold" --- that sort of soft, rustic gold leaf finish with some black in it?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, will run off to measure that cross point (it always bugs me when things don't align with anything else). Although I will probably use big Euro squares, upright, and you won't see that.

I will also search for more photos to see if their mirrors are as wide as the n/s. I think if I go solid on the n/s it matters less, do you?

Yes, old mottled gold would be nice. I will have to decide on n/s first though ...., wwyd?

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I like the solid Ns. It seems to ground the room more. Like KSWL, I think you could go as wide as the NS but I also like the narrow. Sorry I'm not more help. I love seeing your rooms take shape!

• User
    10 years ago

Luckily that old gold looks good with a variety of colors and styles---which i guess is why it always seems to feature in transitional rooms. I like both the nightstands you pictured but am drawn to the one with a single drawer and open shelf (for books!), also like the color and bamboo legs. When you say " go solid" on the nightstands do you mean one with a solid front like the drawers? I'm not sure that would be a factor for me, as a deep frame might actually look better with a more airy table beneath. Your mock ups give a very good idea of the proportions of these elements, so I would keep trying them out on paper.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

In looking at the setup as a 'visual composition',IMO there should be slightly more distance between the mirror/nightstand, the mirror should be even or not too much higher than the headboard, the shade of the light fixtures are too wide in comparison to the width of the mirror, and also dwarf the nightstands. And speaking of nightstands, while the 3drawer is more functional, the open bottom design gives the space the illusion of not looking as crammed. Mt'dux, with your excellent taste, good eye, as well as your tenacity, you won't just 'settle'. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror over nightstand pics

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, luckily, I can play around with mirror size easily since that will be custom, although in several cases I see almost no room between n/s and mirror.

I don't think a 20" shade dwarfs a 28" nightstand, and find plenty of examples with even larger shades, including this one from your link:

Moreover, if I did think the pendant was too big, that'd be a deal breaker, I would have to abandon the look, as I own the pendants, and I cannot use a larger night stand given the wall.

Yes, I originally chose the open N/S, too, but then I thought it looked flimsy under the "weight" of the big mirror. I have now had votes both on line and via email about split on the open-vs-closed! I guess it will depend on what I find.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I prefer the "closed" nightstand. I think it has something to do with the bed having the "open" effect up high and the "closed" nightstand grounding the look.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Just an example of an old gold type mirror --- just for an example ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor - Uttermost mirror

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It's a personal preference for sure. As for the picture from the link, visually unappealing IMO, but those are oversized, much larger that yours, or maybe it's that spindly 'base'. Again, just my perspective, and since you already own the pendants, it's a no-brainer, and I can relate!

Still prefer the open-bottom nightstand. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh teacats I love that mirror, I have always loved those kind. I don't think I can use something that "busy" here, but the color is great, you're right.

Crl, I think closed too. Unless i find something I adore, I think closed will look right and also provide storage, which I would like.

I have also paged through a lot of images and I think that the most common setup is for the mirror width to match the width of the n/s, although a little narrower or even wider is done as well (but I think a wider mirror is a bit off to me). This opens up more possibilities for nightstands.

• suero
    10 years ago

You need a bit of visual breathing room between the mirror edge and the corner post. Have you considered a bevel on the mirror instead of a frame? Alternatively, you could have a design etched into the mirror to provide a visual frame.

As for the mIrror math, I think that the bottom of the mirror should be level with the x of the crosspiece of the bed, on the bottom, and level with the top of the post. That is, If I'm estimating properly, about 60" high.
    A solid nightstand fits your needs better, so go for that.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

solid night stands and I like KSWL opinion on the mirrors, a wooden frame with a little paint and imagination.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Suero and Patricia. I will start by id-ing the right size nightstand,and derive my mirror from that.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

In searching for something I am in the market for, I came across this mirror ... you may have already seen it and passed on it for custom.

Overall: 29â³ W x 2â³ D x 46â³ H. $695. Serena & Lily

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I also prefer the solid NS rather than the open as it seems more sturdy and grounded beneath the mirrors. I'm not so sure I'd line up everything with the solid piece of the bed either for fear of having a big horizontal line. Once you put some other accessories on the nightstands, I think it will somewhat obscure that space and line at the bottom of the mirror anyway, kwim?

Love the finish of the mirror kswl posted, but I'm thinking a narrow frame might be needed. Would definitely get the NS first and then decide.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: I looked high and low (well mostly surfed the web) for nightstands. Looked at a lot of generic stuff, a whacky tibetan pair from 1st Dibs, a set from Craigs List that sold out from under me, and even a pair from Stenella that was too formal.

These were my choices, which I thought i'd include for anyone else on a nigthstand search.

Then, I came across a set that I just love. They have a driftwood look, and I like the birds with the other fabric. They feel summery. I bought them. I will leave the final decision on the MIRRORS until everything is in place.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Nice choice Mtn.
    Can you tell me if you recall where you found in the first row, the first and third one.
    Thanks

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lyban, thanks.

The third one is from Layla Grace. I think the first one was too, or maybe Horchow?

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Nice find, Mtn. I like how you still have some openness at the bottom, yet they give you some storage as well.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks outside, I agree. Kind of a compromise.

• nic2011
    10 years ago

Oh wow I am on a nightstand search as well I have the bed from restoration HardwardeSt James collection in antique white but want different nightstands I do like the openness on the bottom too, My search continues, the ones we currently have our a veryyy dark chocolate almost black type mahogany I may have my husband just paint or stain them in a different color who knows!! But I love yours you found!! I need for my nightstands to be 32 inches high my husband likes the higher reach he is 6'9 go figure..

• PeaceOfHome
    10 years ago

Lovely choice.