Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

Glass top on antique table?

vedazu
10 years ago

I'm searching for a birch/light wood table for a small dining area in my kitchen. I'm led to some wonderful Biedermeier and Gustavian types of things, some of which are a little expensive for me and somewhat valuable, but possible for me to purchase. My question is, if I were to put a glass top on such a table, to try to avoid marks on the top, does anyone have experience with that--do crumbs and debris get under the glass, making a worse problem?

Comments (17)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

You would want to use spacers between the glass and the wood to allow air to circulate. I don't know why you would get crumbs underneath the glass, but you probably would have to remove the glass to dust occasionally. I use a glass top on a bureau in my bedroom and it's not that big of a deal to remove it. However, I chose a relatively thin glass at 1/4".

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I have a glass top on my round 48" pine table and I don't have a problem with things getting under it. It has protected the top which is exactly why I got it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It works fine, but it is cold and shiny, so it does kind of harm the look a bit IMHO.

Maybe find something similar but a bit less precious. We use a swedish trestle table in our breakfast area, but it is painted and distressed, so little worry to us.

On our last house we had a big square kitchen and I had a custom Stickley cherry table made for it. The only place it worked in the new house, given its size and shape, was our craft room. So we did put glass on it ---they are painting in there! --- (with little spacers) and it works great.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Crumbs, etc., get in there only if the glass is set in a frame of the table top, not if it sits on top of the table.

Do consider, though, that glass tops show dust and fingerprints badly and need constant cleaning. Glass also can scratch.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, the spacers are the answer here. Thanks so much. If I can find something "less precious" I shall, but God only gave me so many minutes in this life and I could spend them all online looking for that elusive birch table....when I see something that works, I'll buy it and not look back! Onward!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

To me the peace of mind knowing the wood top is not being harmed is worth it. Yes, you can get minor scratches but better the glass than the wood. I don't mind the light reflection either!

If I get a chance to take a pic, I will.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

I vote against it. I understand the reason, but, it's a hop and a skip away from plastic slipcovers.

Use the table, enjoy it. The purpose of wood is that it can be refinished. I don't like sitting down to cold glass and clanking dishes on it, either.

If you love this piece, you will love it more when you can see it and touch it. You only live once.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I coveted a lovely Biedermierer table many years ago when it was a struggle to buy shoes for our children. I say go for it and enjoy it and congratulations on your great taste.

I have a glass top on my desk at work to protect the top and don't mind it because it is far from precious but I would just caution you that any liquid that spills near the edge will get wicked right under the glass. If you are home alone trying to get the glass top off in time to save the wood could be a challenge. Ask me how I know...............

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I had glass on a desk and an antique dresser. I've given both away to a friend, and she kept the glass on both, even though I told her to get rid of it. As tribbrix said, dust and fingerprints are the biggest pita!

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

We have a glass top on our coffee table, the only downside I find is not crumbs, but drips. I find the drips go under the table sort of wicked under just an eighth of inch or so, but it drives me nuts.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

We have glass on our cherry DR table of many years.

I think with all the men folk that have eaten there through the years and their carelessness as young men, the table would have been destroyed otherwise.

Oh, I forgot to mention there was a time when they played yahtzee and Itari games there. See crumbs? No, smears from the boys using a dish cloth to wipe it off? Yes. Those can be removed.

Some things can be replaced, and some cannot. These boys are not replaceable and the table would be a big loss as it was my mother's, but it, too, is replaceable though not only beautiful but of sentimental value untold.

Glass it if you wish. You can remove glass. Some things cannot be removed, the memories created.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm laughing here: I thought Holly-Kay was from Maine or Canada, talking about wicked drips. Then Daisy-chain used the same word--Ah! as in a wick, not like evil. I had thought about that--any spills might travel. Fortunately, it is a house that won't be used much and mostly by adults so drips ought to be absorbed by placemats or tablecloths. The house will be used from time to time by my sibs and other relatives, who may or may not be careful with something in the kitchen-- I think a kitchen can stand "plastic slip covers." If I hate it, I'll just take it off. Thanks, all! (What a foolish statement--implying that kitchens don't require care.....they require more care these days than living rooms! marble, limestone, granite, polished nickel, brass....and on and on!)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Have a good glass cutter measure and cut and make it very thick. Don't settle for cheap as you will see moisture collect under it just from the atmosphere when it is muggy or humid. Make sure it fits flush to the table, the reason for a good glass person. It may cost you, like a large frameless shower door, but the value to your piece of furniture is worth it.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patricia, thank you. What is very thick?

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I have a glass top on a painted trunk which has turned it into a coffee table in the sitting area of our MBR. We went with a healthy 1/2" thick glass because I did not want it to move at all. Plus, the heavier glass just looks more substantial and intentional, IMO.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

about 1/4 to 3/8 inches.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all--and Patricia for answering my question.