Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninnyman

Where does Ethan Allen get their rugs from?

ninnyman
14 years ago

I found this truly beautifuly oriental hand knotted wool/silk rug at Ethan Allen. Its called the Sarouk Fereghan in Green and Ivory. (their item no. 041508) The problem is, EA priced it around $2,200 to $3,400 depending on the size. I am sure that EA buys their rugs from a major rug manufacuter such as Sury, Couristan etc or something like that. I really love the rug but am sure I can find it cheaper on the web if I only new who made it.

I have been on rug sites like Rugsdirect and Rugsdecor and many others but its like searching for a needle in a haystack. Anyone familiar with this?

Comments (18)

• sdionnemoore
    14 years ago

ninnyman, I have no experience with Ethan Allen, but I did purchase a large persian on ebay last night. Paid $426.66 for it. You can see my post--Bought rug. Thoughts? to see the rug itself. I say all that to point out that one of the people who responded to me said she also had good experience purchasing through ebay. It's worth a try, and there is quite a selection there, just make sure feedback rating is very good, that there is Ebay buyer protection in place, and that you have the option of returning the product if it's not what you want.

• ninnyman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I have purchased from ebay and have had great sucess! There are a lot of discount rug websites as well. I just hate that fact the EA can mark up a product just because its sold in their store when I could get the same exact rug for less if I only knew the manufacurer.

• barbie08075
    14 years ago

Hi Ninnyman,

I purchased that rug (E.A. Sarouk Fereghan)-It is the 8'6x11'6" size, expensive but obviously very well made, hand knotted and with a fine pattern on the front of the rug as well as the back . The pattern is symmetrical but not so perfect like a machine made it. In addition, if you run your hand over it you will notice a slightly oily soft feel as opposed to a dry and course feel found in machine made orientals. Now, I did not really answer your original question of where E.A. purchases their rugs but for me it didn't matter, I fell in love with the authenticity of the E.A. rug and every rug I looked at that was less expensive paled in comparison.

• ninnyman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbie08075-

Thanks for your comments. The more I see that rug, the more I love it. It ties into all the fabric selections I picked from Ethan Allen and really will make my room. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and purchase it from EA. Oh well, I will have it till I die!. Thanks again.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Approximately 30+ years ago I purchased a rug from EA and had to wait 4 months because it 'had to be made in Belgium'. When it arrived I looked at the tag, and sure enough, it was. However, these days, I don't know if that's the case. ;o)

• melrosgirl
    14 years ago

I was just at EA recently looking at hand knotted rugs. The hand knotted rugs were from India (for the most part). They had some that were hand tufted (not the same as hand knotted or hand made) and I don't recall where they were from. From what I know of hand made authentic Oriental rugs, they are not made in any part of Europe.

• laurenjay
    7 years ago

has anyone bought a rug at Ethan Allen? Any comments on how long it takes to have it delivered. I was told it could be 3 months.

• debra0961
    6 years ago

Have bought a number of handmade rugs from EA. BEWARE NOT ALL ARE GOOD QUALITY!!!!!

• indygo
    6 years ago

I've had one for years, and it's a very heavy hand-knotted rug. Indestructible.

• lschoen59
    6 years ago

We bought an amazing rug from EA over 10 years ago. Large, wool and silk, soft soft, traditional pattern ~ primary color is a deep midnight blue very high quality (never shed)....it was very expensive, but it was the one. So soft you could sleep right on it. It still looks brand new today!! At the time when we ordered it we had to wait quite a while for it and she explained because they have this rug (hand made) to order. Yes they always have rugs in the store but on the more expensive rugs they made per order. Sooo I don't think that rug that you love is made by a international rug dealer. Was it worth the purchase. YES. I need another rug now and only wish I could afford an EA now. We actually negotiated "the rug" in the divorce. He wanted it so much that he made it worth it to give it to him. If I was you and you can afford it, I would buy the rug. Lorraine

• Colleen Romero
    3 years ago

I have an Ethan Allen rug that I bought in 2013 or so. I adore it and it looks brand new. Funny thing, though, is that I ordered it and it took a year to arrive because it was rainy in Pakistan that year. It was the largest size - 10x14’, which have had something to do with it. They were very apologetic throughout the process. I do love the rug and plan to keep it forever.

• Susan Walker
    2 years ago

@colleenromero I have this exact same rug in the same size. I’m trying to determine it’s value because it was destroyed in a storage facility. Do you have any idea what you paid for it? Thank you! I bought mine in approx 2004.

• Colleen Romero
    2 years ago

Susan, I paid $7,500 for it.

• Colleen Romero
    2 years ago

It was the largest - 10x14

• Robin S
    2 years ago

I have this rug, purchased from Ethan Allen over 10 years ago- but I have the 6x9’ size. It’s in perfect condition and still looks brand new. I am willing to sell it if someone needs another. It’s one of several that I’ve bought from Ethan Allen, and I love every one.

• debra0961
    2 years ago

I have had very bad luck with Ethan Allen Rugs. Purchased 4 very expensive ones. Each one is a piece of crap. They did not hold up. Major fading and shading. Buckeling. Just Terrible Rugs!!!!!!!!!!

• HU-973219239
    11 months ago

We bought a rug from Ethan Allen two years ago that was made in India. The loops are coming apart and are popping up all over the carpet. we are trying to get our money back.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery