Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

$3k budget 'elegant' bathroom renovation done!

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Hi all-

I just posted this over on the bathrooms forum, where I was spending a lot of time in the last year... but thought some of you also might like to see it.

We just finished a totally DIY re-do of my teen daughter's bathroom.

It involved gutting the room to the studs and joists and re-doing everything. She had a lot of design input, and we used a lot of salvaged, yardsale, Craigslist and eBay scores, including an old dresser re-purposed as a vanity. I'm super psyched at how it turned out, all for less than $3k (plus a LOT of time and effort, of course...)

More details are on the Bathroom forum link, below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom forum post about this bathroom

Comments (51)

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

Beautiful. Man, I'm so jealous of people who can get good tile work done!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

You're amazing, Stacey. I know you've been working on this project for a while. A lot of planning went into this, and your attention to detail shows. You have simply impeccable taste too, which doesn't hurt! Love it. You must really love it! Thanks for sharing!

• HomeNoobie
    13 years ago

absolutely STUNNING!!!!!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

What a fantastic reno, Stacey! I love the tile work, and how you tiled the back of the medicine cab shelf. I think the vanity top spluge was totally worth it, as it's not only beautiful but that and the vanity itself, take the room from DIY to a truly professional look. BIG congrats!
    Lynn

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Stacey- That's a beautiful bathroom and your daughter must be thrilled! :)

I love the vanity and it's so clever, the way you can still use the top drawers...and the little alcoves in the shower are wonderful!

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

Wow...It's gorgeous!! Beautiful job Stacey!
    Would love to have a bathroom like this.

I'm really loving the tile and the cabinet/vanity!
    Wonderful choices...your DD must be thrilled:)

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Beautiful bathroom. I can see why you are excited about how it turned out. I'm sure your daughter is happy!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I love the vanity and the tile inset. Nice job! I know she'll enjoy.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Love it! It's amazing what you did and how much it cost!!!!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Another staceyneil (and staceyneil junior) masterpiece :)

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the beautiful tilework, and the inset shelf below the medicine chest is sheer genius. It looks amazing! Great job!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

That is amazing work!

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! You did a great a job using the accent marble????

Beautiful!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aw, thanks, guys :) That makes me really happy.
    It sure wasn't easy, but we do feel pretty great about it now (hence the bragging today :))
    I'm sure if we added up all the hours spent designing, researching, sourcing materials, and doing the actual labor, it wouldn't seem so appealing, but if I just forget all that and think to myself, "What a nice bathroom for $3,000!" it makes me pretty happy! Also, if it were the ONLY project, it would be easier, too... but we're in the middle of a major whole-house mostly-DIY renovation so it's getting pretty exhausting. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though. And now I have a pretty bathroom to remind me what everything else will look like soon!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jejvtr, that's so funny you went shower curtain shopping! Yeah,.... it needs SOMETHING, doesn't it? I tried hard to sell DD on an interesting, rich shower curtain, but she absolutely insisted on plain off-white linen, so that's what's in there now (I pushed it to the side for the pics; usually it's kept pulled open, next to the toilet, so that the shampoo isn't on display but the room feels big.) But I really liked the last one in your list :)

I do think that once the natural wood shelves (and their contents) are up over the toilet, the room will feel friendlier...

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

That's gorgeous!! I'm so impressed that you did it DIY and finished in such a short amount of time. My favorite part is the dresser vanity. Absolutely love it.

• kswl2
    13 years ago

You've probably added $10K to your house value.... well done! It is beautiful and professional. We've had tile "experts" who haven't done as good a job as you have.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

WOW!! That is absolutely STUNNING. It's just gorgeous, and I love all of the details and built ins. That vanity is WONDERFUL!

And what great lessons for your DD, too.

Fantastic job on that all around, and please come to my house when we get to redo our master bath!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

It's beautiful and just perfect.

The plain linen shower curtain is just the right touch, imo. It lets the interesting stones shine more.

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

Such a great job!

I'm super impressed that you DIY. We weren't brave enough, the contractors started on our bath today.

I love the vanity.

Beth P.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I like the white-on-white and the use of 4x4 staggered tile:)

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

So inspirational! I've been wanting to redo our miniature master bath for ages, and we've noticed that the shower floor is a bit spongy...so guess that means we'll have to replace it...

We too have layout issues, we're hoping to add a pocket door. I'm just worried about plumbing...did you do that DIY too? You had to move the sink...how did that go, if you don't mind me asking. Are you guys plumbing skilled?

I LOVE the shower shelves, that is so nice, and the vanity top...ohhhhh my!

A couple years ago we did a reno on our guest/main bath. We kept the tub/surround (tan fiberglass!) but everything else, including the ceiling got changed. We didn't move plumbing however. That was the last BIG reno we did, but now I'm ready for another.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

pesky1, yup, we did DIY the plumbing. My DH is a marine (boat) systems tech, so he's pretty handy with all that sort of thing. It falls to me to figure out the parts we need and how to make sure it's all to code, though. We were lucky with this bathroom: it's on the first floor over a full basement, so all of the plumbing is super easy to access from below. We had to: cut into an original cast iron vent pipe and add in new Y pieces; completely replace the old tub drain plumbing and tie into the vent and waste drains, completely build new waste drain for new vanity location. Plus run new supply plumbing for everything (We used PEX.) The hardest part is making sure you have the correct pitch on the waste parts and making sure your venting is to code. I have two books on plumbing that we got at Lowes or Home Depot, we use those and cross-reference everything to make sure it's all to code. In our last bathroom reno, DH did the supply plumbing (which is easier) and we hired someone to do the DWV (I think stands for drain/waste/vent) because there was only a crawl space, and the runs were much longer, therefore trickier to pitch right. I think it cost us $750 for them to do that, in a 6 x 13 bathroom which needed new vent through the roof, and everything. But, if you have good access, I say get a couple of books (make sure they have recent copyright dates since codes change) and read through to see if you want to undertake it. Skills you might not have needed for other DIY projects include cutting/gluing PVC pipe, soldering copper tubing, and understanding various pipe threads and fittings, as well as the code stuff. The books will teach you :)

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

Congrats on an absolutely beautiful bathroom!!!!

That bathroom forum is such a great help, used them for our kids bath redo and learned so much from them. We did our kids bathroom last year down to studs, less than two weeks since we had company coming, for less than 5K and did it ourselves as well.

Your bathroom shows it can be done and doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

GAWJUS. Well DONE! Almost gives me the nerve to try our own reno...since we aren't moving any plumbing...

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, so serene!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

I agree that it is so inspirational! GREAT job! It's just beautiful!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words. It's made me very happy after the months of renovation hell. I hope that we've been able to provide some inspiration to other DIY-ers or just people hoping to achieve a nice bathroom on a tight budget. I know we've gotten sooooo much inspiration here on GardenWeb and I'm happy to be able to give back a little :)

...Now onto finishing the living room reno!

• sunshinetm
    13 years ago

I Love your bathroom, you all did an excellent job!!! It looks very pretty, expensive & classy. I love the look of the dresser for vanity's. Your mirror & shelf are so beautiful as well as your shower. Now I am going over to the bath forum to read all about it. Thanks for giving back on GW, people like me need it :-) Terri

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

What an excellent makeover - even more so on a limited budget! I can't believe the before and afters. You must be extremely happy with the end result (and your DD too, lucky girl!).

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

That is truly amazing. I love that vanity and those mosaic tiles are fabulous. You make me want to add a bathroom to my house.

• prill
    13 years ago

Wow Stacey, another beautiful bathroom. Makes me want to run home and rip mine out! Interesting that your DD has different taste than you do - nice you let her make a lot of the choices. She did a great job.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Stacey, I notice on your materials list that you say, "For the floor, we used American Olean 12 x 18 Pietra Bianco, a limestone-look ceramic tile that I'm surprisingly happy with." Is the tile really ceramic, or is it porcelain? I want to find a sample of your tile!

I want to use similar materials in the master bath; white tile for my walls and shower also, and was thinking about an American Olean tile in porcelain for the floor that mimics soft gray stone. It's called Porte Leona.

Also, could you share the wall paint color name? I'm thinking about using BM's Philadelphia Cream and yours seems similar, perhaps a bit lighter.

Again, I love your choices and your workmanship is remarkable!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

stinky, thanks for bringing this gorgeous thread back up. I have a question too, stacey: how did you make it so that you could use the top drawers? And how tall is the dresser with the countertop?

Again and again I look at this and it's just so well done. The time (and life energy) it took was worth it, don't you think? So many times people think DIY is an energy pit but I actually find it empowering and thrilling every time I walk into a room we've done.

When you're finished with your fabulous home entirely, maybe you want to treat yourselves to a new appraisal, just to hear the appraiser say how much you've improved the property -- like a real-life HGTV show : )

• amykath
    13 years ago

Wonderful! I am in love! It is simply stunning and "elegant" is the perfect word to describe it. It looks so fresh and clean and yet cozy.

You are not only handy as can be but have a wonderful eye and are an amazing photographer!

I just finished my 2,000 bath reno! My boyfriend was my labor. : )

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Flyleft, you are so right about the amazing DIY talent. I'm in absolute awe of Stacey and Aktillery!

When our master bath is done I will have to pay top dollar for the labor. We are just NOT DIYers! To attempt such a feat for us would be totally wasting money not saving it, and quite dangerous (not to mention complete lunacy!)

Still, these threads help me tremendously. Even though we are NOT doing the work ourselves, I need to select and coordinate! That presents enough of a learning curve for me! I will be my own GC, but that's my DIY limit!

• amykath
    13 years ago

Stinky... you being the GC makes you a diy'er too!!!! The ability to choose, design and tell someone what you want says a lot in my book!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Being your own GC is definitely an aspect of DIYing, stinky. I have made good choices and bad choices when it has come to hiring trades people to do both things I wanted a pro to have done (e.g. re-routing plumbing--that's a bridge I just don't cross -- we install all our own roughins and fixtures, but doing the piping into and out of the rooms? we leave that to the pros) and things I technically could have done, but just couldn't, given my increasingly bad back (e.g. drywall hanging)--there was definitely a learning curve on that as well. Once you assemble the right team of people, though, you're going to wish you had more projects in the house to work with them on -- it's *so much fun* when good work all comes together!

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I love your choices. It's dreamy. Nice work!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Aktillery and Flyleft, thanks for the warm words of encouragement! I appreciate that.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey guys,
    I am sorry I didn't see this on Tuesday!! Here are some answers...

stinky:
    The floor tile the Costa Rei series in Pietre Bianca. I THOUGHT it was just ceramic, but then I saw it listed as porcelain on an on-line site, so I am not sure. It was definitely easier to drill through (for the Toto toilet install) than the porcelain we used in our master bath, though. here is the A.O. page for it: http://www.american-olean.com/series.cfm?series=134

The wall paint color is Ben Moore "Balboa Mist". It is a warm grey. Very pretty in all different lights.

fly:
    In order to make the top drawers work, we made them smaller: cut out the inner half of each, rebuilt the drawer sides so there was clearance for the sink. We had to remove the center slide support, too, so in order for them to slide properly we installed new undermount drawer glides (one each). On the other two drawers we installed two drawer glides each, just so they're easier to use.

The top of the vanity is now 35.25" from finish floor. I prefer between 35-36" so you don't lean and splash as much. I did have leeway with this vanity: I could have cut the legs down if needed, or added the stone on top of (as opposed to in place of) the original wood dresser top, to adjust height up or down...

Thanks again for your kind words! It's great to get encouragement and I'm also really happy to be able to give something back to the community- since you've all helped me so much along the way :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the info, Stacey. I can imagine how busy you are. When I didn't hear from you right away, I just assumed that you were installing a new roof or maybe a new front porch to spruce things up for Spring, LOL!

If you ever have the chance, would love to see pics of your master bath! When you mentioned that above, I thought, "Oh, there's another remodeled bathroom in the house?" Wow!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, I've been doing drawings for the new porch... but there's still 2 feet of snow out there so I can't start working on it for a few weeks yet :)

Here are a few pics of the master bath. We DIYed much of it, but Bill Vincent (of GW fame) did the tile work on this one. We had a huge mold problem and the insurance company gave us money to rebuild, so I got to hire a pro for that tile job! As you can see, this bathroom's a lot more modern than the one my daughter had design input in :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

CUTE little drawers, Stacey! I saw something like that in the blum catalog. Did you get blum glides?

And may I ask a question about your vanity in the master -- I forget where you got it -- could you say that again? And what kind of wood it is? We're getting ready to do our one remaining bathroom and I think we may just do ikea boxes but with custom walnut doors.

Thanks!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Gorgeous master bath, Stacey! How cool that the real, actual Mr.BV himself did your tile! Love it.

I think you may have the very tub I am thinking about replacing my gigantic jetted tub with. Is that the Kohler Archer? There is a model that is 71" long that I'm considering. The space the current tub sits in is 81" long, so that should allow for a little tiled decking space for shampoo, roaming cats, etc. 71" does sound like a long tub, but for tall people, that could be perceived as an asset, I suppose!

Your tilework, fixtures, sinks, lighting...it's all so tasteful! Thanks for sharing these pics!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Here's my address...............! Love it!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys :)

fly, I used Accuride slides from Rockler. They are not Blum (which I have in the kitchen) but are just fine!

The vanity in the master bath is African Mahogany. We had the case built to my drawings by a cabinet guy, though we should have just done it ourselves. His work was "meh." I based the design very closely on the Ikea Godmorgon vanity, and bought Ikea legs for it. We made the top oursleves and bought the sinks on eBay.

stinky,
    The tub is the small Kohler Archer. I was nervous about having an acrylic tub (afraid it would feel cheap/flimsy) but we set it in a nice mortar bed and insulated all around it, and it feels pretty darn nice :)

• gmp3
    2 years ago

Beautiful. Great job, really smart choices.