Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My new dining room/library seating

Sueb20
10 years ago

I posted a while back concerning my search for a new settee for the dining-room-(where no one actually eats)-slash-library. We had a cream colored "mini sofa" from PB that was the right size but difficult to keep clean with a bulldog who likes to wipe her face along the front of the seat every time she walks through the room (particularly nice when she recently had a rash on her face that would occasionally bleed). DH said "get leather!" Not so easy to find in the right size and shape, because most were too deep or too long. I happened to walk into a local furniture store a couple of weeks ago and found exactly what I was looking for about 10 feet from the front door. I was able to get the floor model at 15% off, and picked up a coordinating chair, too.

I am concerned that I now have an overload of brown in this room, but it is cozy and warm feeling. I may have the room repainted at some point.

I don't know how to post pics all at once...

Here's the settee/loveseat.

Comments (37)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the chair (and the dogs' toy box!).

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It is perfect. And you're right, it does look warm and cozy. What color are you going to paint the walls? I'm curious about the blinds? in the lower part of your windows. What are they?

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I love your new furniture and what you have shown of the room in general, but then I like brown. Adding more colorful accessories may mitigate the 'overload' of brown for you.

Great idea to make a seldom used DR into a Library and something I plan to do if my next house has a separate DR.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

It looks very nice. Do pictures of the rest of it. Looks like I would love it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

So warm and cozy!!! A wonderful room -- just LOVE it! :)

((hugs to the dog too! :)))

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love tables used that way. Lovely room.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think you are good to go with colorful accessories. Looks great!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

nice little sofa!! i think the brown leather looks great and is not too much, especially in a library type room!!!
    if you do decide to repaint, brown leather is so neutral that many colors can look nice with it... a different paint really could give the room a whole different look!

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Very nice! Similar to what I am planning for my Florida nest: central round table, settee against the wall and a couple chairs making a reading/working spot that can transform to a dining area for 2-8. Thank you for posting it. Helps so much to see it done.

And yes, it is hard to find a settee that is the right height, shape, etc. Yours looks perfect there.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

It looks terrific!!!! Not too brown IMO. Warm and inviting!

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Is the sofa higher than a normal sofa?

What about the chair?

Would you be comfortable moving the table over and using this for a meal or do you have other chairs you would use with the table if you needed to use it for dining?

Thanks

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Can't have too much brown, IMO, esp. in a library/reading room. Your room is beautiful. And I have the PERFECT wall color for you. C2 Karma. It's a very rich gold perfect for libraries, and would be great with your rug and furniture.

An ex-client of mine put it in her library, and I was wow'd, never forgot the color, and I am not a warm-color person. But Karma is a really great color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karma

• peony4
    10 years ago

What a warm, inviting room, Sue!

Can I ask you about the side table next to the chair? I really like its shape. Does it tip easily? I need to find a few side tables for our family room, where we watch TV together. The problem is that our 80lb dog uses this as opportunity to go from person to person seeking love and attention. Inevitably, she or her wagging tail will knock something over in her quest... Due to space, I need smaller side tables but they must be sturdy.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Lovely, cozy and so comfortable looking! I had to laugh when you mentioned that your bulldog liked to wipe her face along the front of your previous cream colored sofa there. Our Doberman does the same thing in our family room . . . which is one reason why only leather works in there! No fabric will hold up to him/this for long, so we have a leather sofa, rocker and a Mission style leather recliner. He is NOT ever allowed in our living room, though, where we have the two cream linen sofas. It makes me shudder to think what they would look like if we did! You made great choices with your furniture, Sue. Beautiful and practical!
    Lynn

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Let's see, answers to questions:

Yes, there are horizontal window blinds between the window panes. They are Pella windows. I hate them, actually.

I don't have any real ideas yet about potential wall colors, but this paint job was done by me, and not very well, so the room could use a professional paint job in general. This room has been Gray Mirage, then I think Stuart Gold (way too bright; that didn't last long), and now this one, which I do like, which is Milk & Honey from the Aura collection. I was thinking of maybe going back to the pale green a la Gray Mirage. Definitely not until the fall, when I'm having a painter come to deal with DS' room after he leaves for college.

The sofa seat and chair seat are the same height, I think around 20". I am short so I feel like I need to "sit up" a bit when I eat at the table, but DH is tall and doesn't. We have eaten a meal exactly one time in this room in the past 3 years. But I do have my coffee here every morning.

I wouldn't say the table tips easily (it's the Sadie table from Crate & Barrel) but if an 80 lb dog wanted to, he could probably tip it! Our dogs are smaller/shorter/no tails and don't tend to move very fast (bulldogs!).

Will post more pics, and thanks for the compliments. In many ways, this is the most "personal" room in our house (lots of our little souvenirs and kids' art on display, etc.) and it's pretty quirky, breaking a lot of supposed rules, but that's probably why I like it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Sue- it's not too brown! Love the frenchie pillow! The table in the center as sort of library table is perfect! Nice job.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

It's perfect, IMO. Love the plants!

And here I thought my Boone was the only one who rubs his face. But he chooses to do it along the white beadboard going alll down the hallway, every single day!

I have to use Magic Eraser to get it off. I think I'd rather he do it to the sofa. lol.

• User
    10 years ago

I love the new leather furniture, it's very warm and clubby and comfy looking! Would probably reliant but I'm seeing peach on my iPad which may not be accurate. Very successful transition from Dining Room to Reading Room!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sue, your furniture is beautiful! I love brown and especially in a library. Your sofette is perfect for your room and I especially love the nail head trim. Your room looks so warm and inviting with your new furniture!

• theclose
    10 years ago

Love it! Love the sofa and love the pedestal table in the middle of the room. What a great way to use an underused dining room!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Very nice, love it!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I LOVE it! I am so annoyed I let DH get rid of our sofa like that in the kitchen. I really do have to find another one. Leather does seem to be the smartest way to go.

Thanks for sharing. Oh - and not too much brown. lovely and cozy for sure. :)

• loribee
    10 years ago

How lovely! I think it's just perfect, Sue!
    You will really enjoy this room.

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing more pics.

Lovely room, so nice to see real lived in rooms and to hear my dog is normal after all.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Your room looks so inviting! Love the new furniture. When we had our
    "fur babies" they would rub their faces along the length of our couch and
    wing back chair...(and here I thought it was just our lab & golden that had
    that habit)

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Looks great! I love the brown. :-)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

LOVE. You know I love the sofa/table mix.. and this new settee is perfect!

• tournant
    10 years ago

I just saw this ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining in the Library

• teeda
    10 years ago

Love it all! How lucky to have found the perfect furniture so easily. It is so warm, cozy and inviting!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Your new furniture makes the room very warm and cozy. What a great spot to sit and enjoy a cup of morning coffee. Love it.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

I like it very much!

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

I like it. Looks nice. I really like your rug too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sue, may I ask what your paint is in your room? I love it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it's Milk & Honey from the BM Aura collection. It's a bit less bright than it looks in these pictures. Sort of like terracotta mixed with cream.