Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

window covering for french door, mix & match?

bluestarrgallery
10 years ago

We just moved into a north georgia home with a cabin feel and would like to get window coverings to help with insulating. We were going to get cellular shade on most of the windows but wonder what to do with two french doors, one in living room and one in bedroom? The living room is the big problem because the staircase is on one side of the window and the fireplace hearth is on the other side so I don't think a curtain can hang there.

What about a blind that is hung above the door? Do you have any photos of blinds that are hung above the window?

Comments (12)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Perhaps the thread below will help you. You can hang roman shades and such above the window and door, but with the door, you will want them to draw high enough so it clears the door and doesn't interfere with its functioning. The window treatments for the door and the window need not match....they just have to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window treatment ideas

• lepages
    10 years ago

I would put either a roman shade or a pleated shade right on the door. With the location of the fireplace and the stairs I don't think that drapes would work. You probably don't want a topper either since it will interfere with opening the door.

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

Our new build just started and I plan on a roman shade mounted above ours. I think that's the best way to add privacy, but keep them out of the way. We are building on acreage so won't need them covered all them time. I guess it may depend on how often you want them covered vs. open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kousa Creek dining room- french doors

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I would leave all of them blank of cover. And if you must cover them, only do the windows. Who will see in those doors? Can you block sun with an outside awning??

This post was edited by sasafras on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 23:47

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks for the links, will check them out.

Hi lepages, thanks, I am thinking the roman shades are a good choice for the french door.

Hi sweet-tea, thanks for the links, the roman shades look great.

Hi sasafras, thanks I'd like to leave them blank but to conserve energy I'd like to add something to save on heat loss in winter and to block the direct sunlight in the window which faces west, the french door faces south but there is a covered porch there and we are way up on a hill so I doubt anyone can see in unless they have a telescope, lol

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think you can get two cellular blinds for each window. I also think you'd be happier with them since you'd be able to open the doors with them up or down. If you have one over the door that covers the whole thing, you have to raise them every time to open the door, and you'll have a bump where the door handle is. With the individual blind for each panel, it can go behind the handle. The ones in this pick have no strings. You just push them up from the bottom and pull them down to close them.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 8:18

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

AnnieDeighNaugh,

I had also thought of those, had suggested them here for another commenter whose doors were sliders. I don't think they'd work on springvillegardens's doors, though, because of the handle sticking out. Am I wrong about that? I love those horizontal cellular blinds, though.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks, I'll check those out, so much about the new stuff in decorating that I don't know.

Hi Tibbrix, thanks for posting the photo of the cellular treatments, we had cellulars in our motorhome and they worked well to block out sun and cold, don't want to have to raise and lower them all the time, we'll probably keep them open except in really cold weather since the french doors don't get direct sunlight due to covered deck on that side of home.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi AnnieDeighnaugh, I just watched their video, we have a clerestory window that I wasn't even going to cover but I see they have a motorized covering that would be perfect for that application.

tibbrix and AnnieDeighnaugh - the horizontal blinds might work if I don't go all the way to the handle with them, will show dh and see what he thinks

thanks so much

thanks so much

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

tibbrix, her handles are just on one end so she could close them to the handles. With the ones you posted, I'm concerned about them flapping when you open and close the door. Mother had venetian blinds on her back door and they always flapped and were annoying when you opened the door.

They do make blinds that are enclosed that you can attach to french doors for light control, privacy and no flapping and cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful: ODL framed blinds

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

There are also insulating films you can put on the outside of the glass panes. And frankly, a great glass insulator is bubble wrap. Cut a piece the size of the pane, spray water on the pane, and just stick the flat side of the bubble wrap to the window. take it down and put it away once the cold weather is done, then take it out again the following year! I've done it. It's amazing how well it works.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz