Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie46_gw

Cost to reupholster a couch

bobbie46
12 years ago

What is a reasonable fee for the labor to reupholster a couch?One place charges $1000 and others as little as $285. All have good reputations. I bought a Hickory Chair sofa for my daughter. We can find the fabric for $225 or less. I paid $250 for the sofa. Thanks for all help.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Most places have 2 costs....one if you buy the fabric from them and another if you bring the fabric.
    For a simple one cushion sofa without tufting my guy charges $500 labor.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

A local upholstering business here run by a mother and daughter charges $20 an hour.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I find it hard to believe someone could upholster it for $285. I know price can vary depending on locale but that is really low. In my area, a chair (such as a wingback or recliner) starts at $450.
    Make sure the estimates are apples to apples. IOW's, make sure each upholsterer is including possible replacement of stuffing and/or foam, new welting, tufting, or anything extra you're wanting.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think I paid $600 plus fabric about 10-12 years ago. It ran as much as a new sofa, but I had ordered the sofa custom and still loved it.

• User
    12 years ago

About 7-8 years ago I looked into having a couch recovered. I'd paid about $1,200 for the couch about 10-15 years before that. Calico Corners was going to charge $1,200 plus cost of fabric. I bought a new couch.

I know Calico Corners is probably not cost effective and I might have gotten better quotes elsewhere, but that $285 quote does not sound right to me. I would be very suspicious of that one.

• jen9
    12 years ago

I recently paid $485 (plus cost of fabric) to reupholster a chair that did not need any new stuffing/work done.
    Another chair that needed the cushion reworked was $650 (again, without the fabric). These were standard sized chairs with no tufting. I can't imagine anyone doing a couch of any size for under $800 here in the Chicagoland area.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I just got a quote for a couch that included some cushion rework. Without fabric, $950. I decided not to do the couch so I didn't get other quotes, but when I got quotes for another project this guy was on the cheap side.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I had a recliner upholstered recently and it was about $500 plus fabric.

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I paid $825 plus fabric to have our kidney shaped sofa reupholstered last spring. Calico Cornered wanted over $1100 during a 20% off sale.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Around here it's $1200 not including fabric--- and that isn't for a large sofa, either. Your estimates vary a lot.....buyer beware...