Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost to reupholster a couch

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 10:21

What is a reasonable fee for the labor to reupholster a couch?One place charges $1000 and others as little as $285. All have good reputations. I bought a Hickory Chair sofa for my daughter. We can find the fabric for $225 or less. I paid $250 for the sofa. Thanks for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost to reupholster a couch

Most places have 2 costs....one if you buy the fabric from them and another if you bring the fabric.
For a simple one cushion sofa without tufting my guy charges $500 labor.

o

A local upholstering business here run by a mother and daughter charges $20 an hour.

o

I find it hard to believe someone could upholster it for $285. I know price can vary depending on locale but that is really low. In my area, a chair (such as a wingback or recliner) starts at $450.
Make sure the estimates are apples to apples. IOW's, make sure each upholsterer is including possible replacement of stuffing and/or foam, new welting, tufting, or anything extra you're wanting.

o

I think I paid $600 plus fabric about 10-12 years ago. It ran as much as a new sofa, but I had ordered the sofa custom and still loved it.

o

About 7-8 years ago I looked into having a couch recovered. I'd paid about $1,200 for the couch about 10-15 years before that. Calico Corners was going to charge $1,200 plus cost of fabric. I bought a new couch.

I know Calico Corners is probably not cost effective and I might have gotten better quotes elsewhere, but that $285 quote does not sound right to me. I would be very suspicious of that one.

o

I recently paid $485 (plus cost of fabric) to reupholster a chair that did not need any new stuffing/work done.
Another chair that needed the cushion reworked was $650 (again, without the fabric). These were standard sized chairs with no tufting. I can't imagine anyone doing a couch of any size for under $800 here in the Chicagoland area.

o

I just got a quote for a couch that included some cushion rework. Without fabric, $950. I decided not to do the couch so I didn't get other quotes, but when I got quotes for another project this guy was on the cheap side.

o

I had a recliner upholstered recently and it was about $500 plus fabric.

o

I paid $825 plus fabric to have our kidney shaped sofa reupholstered last spring. Calico Cornered wanted over $1100 during a 20% off sale.

o

Around here it's $1200 not including fabric--- and that isn't for a large sofa, either. Your estimates vary a lot.....buyer beware...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here