Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Looking For Spectacular Headboard Ideas

aloha2009
12 years ago

Let me preface that I have champagne taste on a beer budget, so whatever I find, we'll be making ourselves.

I was willing to buy something that wasn't going to break the bank but I've already gone through most of the local furniture stores looking to find something that said YES this is the one. Nothing.

After spending countless hours combing through Houzz and the internet, I've deducted that I'm looking for something custom.

I want a spectacular headbard/wall and some possible night stands to the side. Our clothes are in our closet, so no need for dressers. I want something that everytime I go into the room, I say WOW!

So far this is all I've come up with that says, WOW for me. I'm thinking it's the clean lines and lighting that give me the wow factor. If you've found anything like this, or can direct me to other sites that are great for decorating ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I've been looking for a LONG time and just want to find something soon. TIA

contemporary bedroom design by photographer Elad Gonen & Zeev Beech

tropical bedroom design by other metros interior designer Jenny Carter

Comments (11)

• geokid
    12 years ago

I immediately thought of the Ikea Malm series. Great beer budget match! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Malm

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geokid. I do think IKEA has the look I'm going for, but I'm not really fond of the furniture quality.

I think I dismissed them before because of my lack of imagination on what I could do with their pieces but now that I have some inspiration to go from it's at least somewhere to start. It does seem like modern styling is ridiculously expensive anywhere else. I'd like to pay somewhere in the middle and get better finishes.

Does anyone know of a website I could get something more modern and a reasonable price and reasonable quality.

• geokid
    12 years ago

Beer, but not cheap beer. :) Have you looked at CB2? Or West Elm? I suggest those the most because that's what I'm most familiar with. I'm sure others have other similar stores they can recommend too.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

What about Dania? (link below)

I know this is not your style, but I'll throw it out anyway . . .using a fireplace mantel as a HB:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dania

• geokid
    12 years ago

Sorry to keep posting, but I just saw that you mentioned making your own furniture. I should have read your first post a bit better, I guess. I have found this website a great source for furniture plans. I made an outdoor slat table and bench and found the directions clear and it turned out wonderfully. There might be a couple plans that you could use or modify.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom Plans

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geokid, can't I be a pretencious drinker ;). Thanks for the ideas West Elm is here in town and I've never heard of them. I guess that's what I get for not being into shopping. CB2 isn't anywhere close, though I'd definately consider them as an option, if I could see the furniture IRL.

Anele, thanks for reminding me of Scandanavian Design (Dania equivalent around here). Just like IKEA, I just didn't have the imagination when I first walked through the door.

The more I see my 1st pic for inspiration the more I like it. Darn IKEA makes it so tempting being that their large selection of pieces give the look in the pic quite easily. I'd like the furniture to last a decade or two though and I don't hear that from IKEA. When I said beer budget I meant I didn't want to shell out $5000+ for the headboard of my dreams. IKEA would come in around $500. I just much more prefer a fine furniture grade of wood finish. Grrrr

Thanks for all your suggestions. I at least know a great look would be within reach.

• kkay_md
    12 years ago

I have a friend who had a headboard made, but it wasn't cheap. First, she commissioned a photographer to accompany her to Paris to the Pere Lachaise cemetery to photograph the incredible statuary. Then she selected the black-and-white image she wanted--a beautiful cloaked figure--and had it blown up and transferred to canvas--it was immense, probably 8 feet high and 6 feet across. It was stunning. She owned a penthouse in a former engine building, and the scale was perfect for a headboard. Other than the bed, there were 2 (also commissioned) bedside tables--nothing else in the room.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

You know, you might be able to pull off a look like #2 using stock pantry cabinets from a cabinet line... Or buy the IKEA cabinet 'boxes' and get your doors from a custom door shop. The doors are not that pricey and you can get such a HUGE choice in wood and finish.

• sotodog
    12 years ago

This is what we made similar to a fireplace and added reading lighting below and accent lighting above

{{!gwi}}

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Have you considered using a solid wood door for a headboard? I've seen a couple of solid wood doors that would look great turned sideways and turned into a headboard. Some have sleek, modern lines. Then, perhaps you could paint or stain it and some custom cabinets to get the look you want.

Good luck!

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

How about showing your favorite designs to a carpenter or cabinet maker? The designs you pictured look like custom work but nothing difficult for a professional to put together. Using cabinet grade plywood would save you money too.