Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

How to make headboard 'taller'?..want to re-do this..

fillagirl
14 years ago

Hello, I bought this upholstered headboard for my daughter's room, with the idea that I would re-upholster it in a cream fabric for her room (a la Sarah Richardson).

I need it taller and am unsure what would be the best way to achieve this. Do I add more wood at the bottom (worried that that might not work) or maybe add another back and more foam at the top?

It is quite light(which I like), so I don't want to make it too heavy. Do your creative minds see a way to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (12)

• bac717
    14 years ago

Charlieinnj raises a good question. If you make the legs taller, you need to watch the bottom of the upholstered part so it doesn't become too high and leave a space between the bottom of it and the top of the mattress. A little space will probably be OK, but too much and it won't look right. Sorry I'm no help with a solution.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it's the legs I need to make taller , the upholstered section is a good height. My daughter's mattress is really high, boxspring is normal height.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You could remove the legs and mount it to the wall. You could add foam at the bottom for a larger headboard.

I recently used a mounting bracket that would work well for mounting it. It is two V-shaped pieces of metal, one attached to the object and one to the wall. I bought it at Home Depot.

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture of the back of the headboard?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

If the boxsprings are the normal height then adding to the bottom of the legs will only cause another problem. The brackets on the frame wouldn't connect into the now higher "catch" (for lack of the proper word) on the legs. Graywings idea of attaching the headboard to the wall is an excellent idea and would solve this problem.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your ideas! Attaching it to the wall may be what I need to do, however I was trying to avoid this as I like to re-arrange the room every now and then. It is quite light so I may be able to attach it to the walls without too many or too large holes.
    Thanks!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

fillagirl, you could always cut the legs off and re-attach them using a piece of quarter inch plywood like this....
    {{!gwi}}

• bac717
    14 years ago

That's a great idea justgotabme posted. That way the holes in the legs will still be in the right place for the bed frame, the headboard will be higher and it will be moveable.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks bac717.
    I forgot to mention that the screw holes should be pre-drilled and counter sunk so as not to damage the wall.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! The creative genius on this forum never ceases to amaze! That looks like it will work and save me from drilling homes in the wall!

Again, many thanks....love this forum!

• blubird
    14 years ago

In various homes and various bedrooms over 40+ years, I've never bothered to attach the headboard to the bedframe. Of course, all the headboards are held upright by the wall behind them and the mattresses on the bedframes in front of them, but they've not been a problem.

I've had to raise some of them because of the newer and taller mattresses, but you can use inexpensive bed risers to raise the height of the headboard.

Helene