Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Where to find a shabby chic table/hutch!?

User
16 years ago

Where can i buy a shabby chic dining/larger kitchen table and hutch set?

everything i'm seeing is the farmhouse look. My kitchen cabs are red oak. kitchen and dining room are open. I currently have a maple hutch and have two different looking maple tables i could use. (house isn't finished yet and we're not in it) All that stuff was basically given to me but it's going to drive me nutz that it doesn't match.

this is a table from target. i like the style - without the wheels and it would have to be a bigger table.

{{!gwi}}

and i just don't care for the oak country looking tables..can't seem to find anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I've been shopping around for furniture too and your sample reminds me of some pieces from this site:

Nice Stuff

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

How about painting what you have and distressing it a little? If the furniture is in good shape and you could use it, then I might try to get the look myself!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

also this site - though can be pricey!

http://www.laylagrayce.com/home_store.aspx

• tinam61
    16 years ago

I would consider looking at thrift stores, Craig's list, antique stores, etc. I also like the idea of painting/distressing pieces. I personally wouldn't want things *too* matched.

tina

• joanie_b
    16 years ago

I agree with kmcg85. Original Shabby Chic, created by Rachel Ashwell, is all about painting and repurposing.
    Have you tried looking in any consignment/resale furniture stores?
    Maybe just find a set of chairs you really like and use one of your tables.
    I think you could get the look you want with a unifying paint color/treatment, fabric, and the right kind of accessories.

From the Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic site
    {{!gwi}}

I don't know where you're located but here's a link for a gigantic Antique/gift shop in Rochester, Indiana with tons of inspiration and just about anything you could possibly want to repurpose. Too far away for me but fun to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby inspiration at Green Oak

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did think about painting them but it scares me! ha i don't want to ruin it! The hutch was handmade and came from a family member (someone made it for them) the table that wasn't actually a "match" but looks right with it as far as color. but it has a formica top. yeah ugly. Can you paint that? this table isn't in the best shape but i still wouldn't trash it.
    The other table i recently inherited is really nice but the top is white tile. don't really care for that. i know you could take it out but...don't know what i would replace the top with. doesn't really look like the table and chairs go together. here's some more pics.
    all this is currently in storage at different places.
    the hutch
    {{!gwi}}
    i don't have a pic of the table with the formica top. my computer crashed awhile back and i lost everything. blah

one with tile top
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

my other issue is i have no idea if the tile top table will match the hutch. i know matchy matchy isn't always good but ..it still needs to coordinate!

kitchen - it's further along now but this is the most recent one i have on here. remember kitchen and dining room are open.
    {{!gwi}}
    close up of countertop and valance for window
    {{!gwi}}

i guess i should rephrase... i can find furniture i like but i need to find something affordable. i can't shell out a couple grand on a table and then some for matching hutch. :(

should i dare paint?? will the kitchen really look off if i have light wood on one side and dark on the other??

• joanie_b
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the pics!

The hutch is lovely and would be great painted as would all the other pieces.

But, since you're hestitant to paint, why not leave it as it and make some painted or fabric covered boards to go behind the shelves and the area between the hutch and the bottom. Change the hardware to something a little more cottage/shabby - maybe glass ones. That, and the right accessories would really lighten the piece up.

An easy fix for the tile table would be to have a round piece of wood cut to fit the tiled part and either paint it to match the color in the hutch or cover it in fabric. Then get a glass top to cover/protect it. The detail on the table edge is very nice. You could also remove the tile and do your own fun, shabby tile treatment. Tile can also be painted. Just protect it with a glass top and felt protectors.

Are you using those chairs? I really like them and they would be perfect covered in the same/coordinating fabric as the valance as they have a very nice, romantic look.

And yes, you can paint formica. It takes some prep work but it's easy(I painted my counters and it lasted for years with some care).
    Clean very well
    Lightly sand
    Clean again
    Prime with Kilz, use a light hand, let dry and give it one more coat.
    Let the primer cure for a day.
    Paint with your choice of paint
    After the paint is dry, apply 10 to 15 light coats of Minwax's Satin Finish Polycrylic. It dries very fast and you can usually apply another coat in 15 - 30 minutes but only if you applied a light coat.
    And that's pretty much it.
    I used pledge to clean and protect it.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of using what you have and making it the best it can be. :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Pulls

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

joanie b. - thanks for putting so much though into that!

i wish i lived in indiana! PA.

Yeah i should consider trying to use what i have. If i were to paint any of this ...should i distress it? If i were to paint the tile table i'm assuming i should do something else different with the top. white and white.. hmm. I do like the chairs that go with it! And i like this table better than the other one with the formica top. I think i'll definetly change out the knobs on the hutch.

I have a couple different looks going on in my head. And you think this will look ok with oak cabinets across the room? What look do you think would work best with it. I honestly don't love the stain on the hutch. I do like the style of it. Plus, it has a lot of room.

The valance fabric is raymond waites. i'll have to dig around online and see if i can find some.

I probably should have waited until we're IN the house to jump on all this but my mind's a going. I can hear DH now...,"talkin to the forum people again huh?" :)
    Thanks to everyone!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

You're hutch reminds of one i saw on a blog called "Notes from a cottage Industry". It was repainted black, but I can see it in a white or cream too!. Here it is before:

{{!gwi}}

And here it is after:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

The link is below. There is a ton of inspiration. Her home is in a cottage style.

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage inspiration

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85 - wow that looks so different! i really like it! gonna check out that link now. Not sure why i'm so scared to paint stuff! I've just never really done anything with wood before. Looks like that person has oak cabinets too!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Well...she DID! Surf through her blog and you will see her kitchen transformation too! Her kitchen cabs are creamy white now! She does a lot of painting and even has a color recipe for her favorite "robin's egg blue" paint! Enjoy!