Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Help me source dining room light

nhbaskets
10 years ago

We are under construction of our new home. Actually, it was a spec home that we caught early enough to make changes to suit our needs. The majority of our furniture is shaker. In the new home the dining room is off the front entry. Will have 10' sort-of-tray ceilings.

I've found a Hubbardton Forge light for over our dining room table that we both really like, however, at $1300 it's out of the budget.

This is our current dining room. Light is also a HF that is no longer available.

So I'm looking for help to find a similar style light that won't break the bank. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Comments (25)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Is your current house sold yet?
    If not, simply take the one from your dining room with you to the new house, and buy a replacement chandelier that is in your budget for the current house.
    As long as the house is shown with what is going to be in it when it sells, it's not a big deal, and the buyers may have different taste.
    If it's up when the buyers make an offer and they want it, to exclude it from the sale could make or break a sale, so definitely replace it ASAP, unless your house is already sold.

How exciting for you with your new home.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, ml. Our house is under contract...only took 6 days! The past month has been a whirlwind with getting our house ready to list and now making choices for the new house. We are closing on both in mid-May and thankfully will only need to move once. Had I known my tastes were higher than our budget, I would have switched out the fixture ahead of time.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Ask them if you can take it with you.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, I'm thinking for the volume of the room in the new house, a larger fixture would be better.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I think you can find something larger and more "dramatic". To me, your current fixture looks like it should be over a kitchen island and not the dining table. The new 3-light one looks like it is a pool/billiard table light. A front dining room with 10' ceilings can handle something bigger.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've always found lighting to be difficult so that's probably why I tend to lean toward smaller fixtures. Chispa, can you make some suggestions, given my style?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Darn, I tried a houzz search for shaker dining rooms and the results were pretty useless. Will get back to computer later for some other searches, need to go buy dinner ingredients first!

nh, don't rush or settle, a chandelier can be connected easily at a later date if the electrical box is in place.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, chispa!

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a few more lights to consider. All are RH. Any thoughts?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Ooh I like the third one!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Might be time to depart from your comfort zone and kick it up a notch. I appreciate your preference for Shaker style, but perhaps you can still find something simple in design that is less dated in appearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Circa Lighting

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Murray Feiss, $450

Murray Feiss, $510

Here is a link that might be useful: murray feiss

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that though some of these fixtures look alike, the size and scale and details of the fixtures can change the final appearance.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Go look on Circa lighting. Not inexpensive but good quality and tasteful.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. DH is against having anything with a fabric shade as he thinks it will be too difficult to keep clean. Considering he doesn't do anything remotely close to dusting, I'm hoping to get him to at least consider it. I like the rectangular shade that Beverly posted. Also liking the second Murray feiss from Annie.

A question on finish. Plan to go with the RH Benson pendants over our kitchen island in polished nickel.

{{!gwi}}

While you will not be able to see these from the dining room, should I stay consistent and go with a polished or satin nickel in the dining room and entry? Door handles throughout the house will be satin nickel.

I'm thinking about this for our entryway.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Really like the pendant you have selected for the kitchen. That fixture comes in lots of sizes and could be used over your table. Not crazy about the fixture you've selected for your entry. Kind of brutal in its details.

All these fixtures shown are from RH. Even though the finishes don't all match, they are complementary and the details are nice, simple and straight forward. Every finish in your home doesn't have to match, but they need to work together.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly--thanks for the input. What do you mean by "Kind of brutal in its details," concerning the light I was considering for the entry? I like the center left light you have shown, but I don't believe it would work in our entry as the ceiling is two stories tall. Need something that will hang from a chain.

The RH pendant I choice for over the island would be the smallest at 7" diameter, 11 3/4" high. Our island is approximately 103"x50" with 8' ceilings. I would go with 2 pendants. The next size up is 13" x 21". Thinking that would be too large.

Not feeling the RH pendant for the dining room.

DH and I went to light store this afternoon. We were told that for a 10' ceiling, the fixture should be at least 30" tall. Width depends on the width of the table. Ours is 42" wide, so they said fixture should be around 24". We went through catalogs and ended up fining one in the showroom that appealed to both of us, was at the right price, height was correct, but width was too wide. They suggested hanging at 35" above table rather than 30".

What do you think of this one? It's from Artcraft.

Think I will continue to look...

• crl_
    10 years ago

When I think Shaker and chandelier I think of something more traditional, round with candlesticks.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Shaker chandelier[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/north-haven-residence-traditional-dining-room-new-york-phvw-vp~2621648)

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

crl--I would agree, but given the volume of my room, I'm being told that something like you linked to would get lost. People here have suggested I look at lights outside my comfort zone. I'm trying! Lighting is not easy!

Here are a few more that I've found online. Any thoughts?

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you want a more eclectic look and are going for more modern lighting to achieve that, that's great. But if you like shaker furniture and want to stay with that simple style, I think you can achieve that. Here's another light that's more shaker to my eye, but has more visual weight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two tier shaker chandelier

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another option from RH. Im thinking this is more in line with my vision.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

When I described the fixture's details as brutal, this is what I was referring to. See image with of fixture with red circles. Large bolts, clunky curved metal hangers, etc.

Both RH fixtures hang from chains and are available in a variety of finishes and sizes. The other fixture below are in your same price range, and are just a bit more graceful in their details in comparison to your original selection.

My concern in selecting light fixtures is always the quality of the light they emit. Bare bulbs through glass is going to cast some strange shadows on your walls & the clear glass is always going to the dust.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly--thanks so much for the clarification. I'll take another look. Any thoughts on the rectangular light I just posted from RH for my dining room?

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hunt is over. We went to Ethan Allen today to meet with a designer I've worked with before. In their clearance room they had this hanging. We walked out with it. Love it and not looking any further as I know I'll start second guessing. Got a great price on it, plus it's a fixture that is in this year's HGTV Dream Home. Now it will be in my dream home. :)

While we were there we went through all our tile and countertop selections and chose paint colors for all rooms. My head hurts, but I'm glad to have all that done.

Thank you to those who have provided me input. So glad to have GW and the collective wisdom of all it's members!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Love that fixture. So glad you chose it. It is simple in design, but very design forward.

I'm sure you will love it for years to come.