Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

window treatment for window with fancy trim?

diymadness
16 years ago

Hello all,

Some of you have been helping me pick out a backsplash for my newly renovated kitchen. My other current project is to buy/make window treatments. As you can see from the photo below, I have installed arts-and-craft-style trim around the window. I don't want to cover it up, but I think a window treatment would add some colour and style to the kitchen. Privacy is not an issue for this window. I also have four larger windows with the same trim in the breakfast area (sorry no picture). Privacy is a concern in that area, so I have installed white vinyl blinds (the wide-slat kind)from HD. They are practical and clean looking, but I find them rather plain. So I've been thinking about valances to cover the tops of the windows, but again, I don't want to cover or take away from the look of the window trim. The valances I've seen all cover the top of the window.

Suggestions for a window treatment? Thanks in advance!

>

Comments (19)

• demeron
    16 years ago

I have the same trim and the same "problem" so will be interested in answers. I was going to hang my curtains below the top of the trim but our consensus on that was "yuck". I do like roman blinds if you don't mind losing some light.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I used a balloon valance on one of those rods that curves at the ends and hooks onto clips on the window frame. I placed the clips on the inside edges of the window trim so as to expose as much trim as possible. I don't have special trim, but just wanted to frame the window and window treatment. Hope this makes sense. Here's the best pic I have handy...

{{gwi:1544526}}

• creekylis
    16 years ago

Sorry... that isn't actually a "balloon valance"... Not that I think about it, it has ring clips in the back and is adjustable in length... sort of like a roman shade.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Since you already have new blinds, I wouldn't add a fabric valance type treatment that will only hide and mar the effect.

How about a "something" to display on the wall above the window frame top? ("Something" wide, three quarters width of window, and not toooooooooo tall.) Maybe bold lettered wall words/tatoo/decal, or whatever that's called?

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

or how about putting something interesting on the ledge, something long and narrow that makes more of a statement, then you can leave the top of the window alone.

nice sink and counter, btw........

• diymadness
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will leave the over-the-sink window bare. I do have one of those wall decals (never used) that reads: "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." I'll see if it fits over that window. I bought it a while ago, planning to use it in the kitchen when it was finished, but now I'm hesitating. I'm wondering if the message is a bit too personal for public display. The words "reckless abandon" are a bit suggestive to me. Is it a bit too, ummm, "sexy"? Or do I just have a dirty mind? Opinions?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Iread in your other post about having a little of the arts and crafts feel to youir kitchen. I thought these gave that vibe and went well with the green on the walls. The first two coordinate nicely and might be used together.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• diymadness
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, beautiful. I especially like the last two -- which would bring a needed punch of color. Where did you find these? I spent hours last night browsing fabric sites and didn't find anything this nice.

The fabric is so beautiful, a very simple valance might do the trick.

Wow -- this board is an amazing resource. Thanks!

• teedup1
    16 years ago

DIYMadness: The wall words you already have sound great! If the whole thing doesn't fit because it's too long, you could cut off the "...love and..." words. The saying would then be shorter, and less "sexy" if that's what you fear. LOL

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

How much higher are you walls above the crown?

If it's about 12" above the molding then I think the wall saying could be nice; but I love the second set of fabrics that kmcg posted which will give your kitchen that bit of texture and color. Perhaps a simple roman shade if you have room for an inside mount.

• diymadness
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, good point valinsv. There is only about 10" between the top of the window and the crown molding. Maybe it would be too crowded looking.

How about a simple blind like the one shown below, made with one of the lovely fabrics suggested by kmcg?

>

>

• amykath
    16 years ago

We had the same problem. I tried EVERYTHING! How about putting something above such as we did but maybe different??

{{!gwi}}

• diymadness
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, actillery. You must be very happy with it.

• chelone
    16 years ago

You could also adopt the Victorian attitude of appreciative disaffectation... YOU know the trimwork is there, why wouldn't everyone ELSE?

And then proceed to "dress the livin' daylights" out of the window. I could do that, lol!

My point is, that just because the trimwork is handsome doesn't mean you can't "hide" it for the sake of an attractive window treatment. We have very pretty woodwork in this house, every inch of it, "custom". But that hasn't scared me away from more ornate window treatments.

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Hanging plants! You've got everything you need right there: light, water, no need to worry about drips. You don't even need a green thumb, as you can buy an awful lot of replacement plants for what you might pay for a conventional treatment. I see you already have some on your sill. Try english ivy, spiderplant, boston ferns.

Sherry

• budge1
    16 years ago

I'd leave it.

• diymadness
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. You have given me a lot of ideas. I am a plant lover (funny how you see so few indoor plants in decor magazines these days). You can see I have a couple of cuttings rooting out on the sill. So I probably will end up with lots of plants in the window (easy to water them there!).

For now, I will probably leave it, or maybe hang some object above the window. I still have to tile the floor and backsplash and put up the doors (sigh -- wish it was done already). So I guess window treatments are not my first priority. It's just so much more fun to think about pretty fabrics than grout and hinges. Besides, I am slowly collecting pretty accessories for my kitchen -- it helps me remember that it will be done someday.

So I'm still pondering the idea of a simple window treatment. I think fabric and rugs add important softness to a kitchen. kmcg85, if you read this, could you please tell me the source for the last two fabrics you posted (the reddish ones). Thanks!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I like the treatment you posted with the second set of fabrics kmcg85 posted. They look easy enough to make and would compliment the window trim without overshadowing it.

• whenicit
    16 years ago

This is not in my kitchen but similar idea. However, if you don't need to cover it, I would not. And sorry, I do not know how to make my images smaller.