Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Have you seen this bed in a twin size.

msrose
15 years ago

I'm having a hard time finding a twin size bed that doesn't look like it's for a little kid. I showed my teenage son several styles and he likes the ones that remind him of paneling, like these:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The 1st one is from Target's website and the 2nd one is from World Market. I don't think either one comes in a twin size. He wants either a dark wood or black. He likes the headboard on the 2nd one, but doesn't want the footboard. Even if the Target one came in a twin, I'm not sure I would want to order something without seeing it in person first.

Laurie

Comments (36)

• wodka
    15 years ago

This one on Overstock is more shuttered than paneled, but thought you might want to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock.com

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

If you don't want the footboard, maybe you should be looking at sites that just sell headboards that you can attach to a regular metal bed frame.

• marzhere
    15 years ago

How about this one (no experience with the seller)

Here is a link that might be useful: Headboard Store

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wodka - I do like the looks of that one. It comes with the footboard, but I'm not sure if I could just leave that off. What do you think?

marzhere - I like that one alot. I was trying to avoid ordering something, but I just may have to take a chance.

Laurie

• caminnc
    15 years ago

If he likes dark wood he might like this Tommy Bahamma twin bed, although it does have a footboard.

• wodka
    15 years ago

I know this isn't black, but I thought this was a very handsome headboard. Not juvenile looking, like a lot of twin sized ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: lea industries

• megradek
    15 years ago

What about this one from Costco??

Here is a link that might be useful: twin bed

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Have you tried an unpainted furniture store? They usually have that design and could order it for you.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I love the beds but that lamp looks sooooo neat. Anyone have a closeup of it or know where I could buy it? thanks

• wodka
    15 years ago

datura, I have a similar lamp, and I got it from Overstock. (And before anyone asks, no, I am not connected to Overstock in any way - I just love to find bargains there.) The shade is more of a dark taupe and not quite as dark as it shows in the picture.

The only problem is this lamp comes in a set of 2. So, if you like it, you might want to see if someone else wants one, or find another place in your home for the second one.

Here it is:

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock.com

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mairin - I'm just getting a list of all their beds when I click on the Costco link. Which style were you looking at?

Laurie

• megradek
    15 years ago

Oh, darn. sorry about that! Of course I just tried to make the link again and couldn't get it to work. It's the Rylee J Twin collection. HTH...and I'll keep looking - since I'm still looking too! :-)

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mairin - thanks, I'll go check it out.

wodka - I was just looking at the Target website and they had the same bed you posted from overstock. Target's price is $100 more. I couldn't believe it.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffin bed at Target

• datura-07
    15 years ago

thanks wodka

• aleighjc
    15 years ago

I wanted to suggest young america stanley as well as potterybarn teens. Although I have heard potterybarns furniture is not the best quality.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Do you mean he does not want a footboard at all, or just wants one that is low?

The paneled captain styles have no foot board and maybe the extra storage is something he wants?

This paneled one comes in a twin size and also a choice of woods or black:

• mcps
    15 years ago

This one from JC Penney looks grown-up AND offers extra storage...

Here is a link that might be useful: jcp single bed

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

Hi Laurie

this is not exact, but close. It comes in twin and in black.

Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: twin bed

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dilly dally - I just want you to be able to sit on the end of the bed, so the short footboards like you posted would work. Where did you find those? I especially like the 2nd one.

mcps - I've looked at the penneys website, but I somehow missed that one. thanks.

ree - I don't know if that's what he has in mind, but I like it for me. I haven't decided if I want to go traditional or more shabby chic. I could definitely see that headboard with a shabby chic room.

Laurie

• wodka
    15 years ago

Laura, that's great about Target carrying the Overstock bed. Plus you would get 15% off if you ordered online (but shipping costs might eat that savings up, I didn't check.)

We don't have a local Target, I wish we did.

I love the headboard ree posted - good looking.

• les917
    15 years ago

I don't know if you have a reason for not doing this, but perhaps this is an opportunity to upgrade to a full bed from a twin? Much nicer for a teen, and for you later to use as a guest room when he is off to college or on his own.

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found this one on walmart's website. It's $379

{{!gwi}}

For an extra $129, you can get this underbed storage.
    {{!gwi}}

I'm still nervous about ordering something without seeing it in person. I am on a budget, but I don't want something that's a piece of junk. Another problem is that he needs a matching chest and alot of the headboards I'm seeing, don't come with matching pieces. Would you take a chance on this one?

Laurie

• megradek
    15 years ago

Wow, that's a great price! It's made of birch, which is considered a hardwood. Hmmm, always nervous about the big purchases online as well. maybe someone on the furniture forum would be able to help?

• linley1
    15 years ago

I've bought two pieces in the Canopy collection to which that Walmart bed belongs and I've been impressed. The finish quality is very nice and they are very easy to assemble relative to other furniture I've purchased. There are many reviews on Walmart's site and they are quite positive on this line of furniture.

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you linley1! Did you order your furniture or did they have it in the store? What matching pieces did you get? I'm just wondering if there's a matching chest that I missed.

I still want to know where dilly dally found the 2nd bed since it may have a matching chest.

les - I wound love to upgrade to a bigger size, but the room is very small.

Laurie

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I'm here! I don't always have time to check back on every single thread I post to so, I hope people forgive me if I seem to be "ignoring them" or never get back.

It is called 'Chatham' and is from Bassett linked below. Right now the twin size in black is on sale for $599. You did not mention a price range for what you are looking for. It does have matching chests, dressers, chairs, side tables....it also comes in a Captain style.

The other, Captain style bed I posted a pic of, is from thefurniture.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bassette Furniture 'Chatham'

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Msrose, Are you close to a Pottery Barn Outlet? I was in one yesterday & they had tons of headboards very similar to the one you showed & lots of chest.

Althou, the one from Walmart looks nice & the extra storage under the bed would come in handy in a small room. You can do the ship to the store option with Walmart (I think it's free) but it takes longer. I would ask if you didn't like if you could also return it to your local WM avoiding shipping charges altogether.

Also, what about an old door with some trim added? Then attach the metal frame to the door. Then go to a unfinished furniture store for a chest.

Smiles:)

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like the Chatham bed that dilly dally posted, but the chest is almost twice the price of the bed. Is that normal?

$599(sale), $679(regular price)
    {{!gwi}}

$1079(sale) $1,249(regular price)
    {{!gwi}}

scoobyruby - Unfortunatley we don't have a PB Outlet. I had to check the website and see if we had one of their regular stores around here, because I've never seen it. I found out there's one not too far away.

les - My mother is trying to convince me to get the full size, so I need to do some measuring and see what I think.

• linley1
    15 years ago

Regarding the Canopy Walmart line, I bought a desk and bedside table. I bought them sight unseen since the line was fairly new and not available at our local store but the reviews were so good I thought I would take a chance. Recently, I've seen one piece at our store. On the Walmart website, you can enter your zip and see if thy have the item in store.

They also have coordinating bookcases which are a really good value if your son needs storage space.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of all Canopy bedroom pieces

• les917
    15 years ago

Have you considered using an old door for a headboard? You could find one that has the panels and paint or stain it. A cool look for not a lot of money. Threegrad has a headboard like that, I believe.

Here is a Martha Stewart 'how-to' on this:

door headboard

Your mom and I are not ganging up on you, by the way! LOL My younger son had the smallest bedroom for years before his older brother went to college, and he had a full size bed with no problem. The room is 10.5 x 11 ft.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

The bed is such a classic style I would not think that you would need an exact match. You can surely get dressers that match or coordinate from another source. Get the bed you want. Get a dresser that you want. They do not have to be manufactured from the same company.

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

linley - Thanks for the link! I couldn't find the reviews before, but now I see them over on the side.

les - I would have never guessed that Martha Stewart headboard was an old door. It's gorgeous! That being said, I'm not a crafty person, and with all the overtime I've been working lately, I just don't have the desire or energy to be creative right now. I'm going to measure the room and if the double will fit, I'll let Justin decide if he'd rather have the bigger bed or extra space.

dilly dally - I've always been such a matchy matchy person, which is a habit I'm trying to break. If I got that bed in the cherry, would I get a chest somewhere else in cherry or would I need to get a different wood? I'm just worried about making it look right. What if I went with the black bed? Do you think it would look okay if the chest wasn't the same shade of black?

Laurie

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Do you think it would look okay ?"

Well I do and I did it with my bedroom, but you sound like you have apprehensions about doing so, so in that case, do what you feel confident with. There is no 'correct' answer.

You don't want to try matching something and have the results bother you. Bad Feng Shui. Go with matching sets.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Laurie,
    I like the look and price of the walmart bed. My only concern would be if you have both a mattress and box spring, you might end up hiding most of the headboard. But if you just have a good mattress laying on a solid piece of wood or slats then I can see it looking good.
    I hope you understand what I mean...

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

Laurie..do you have your tools handy? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: head board

• msrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ree - Yikes, that requires way more talent (and tools) than I have :) It sure is pretty though.

Laurie