Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Pirula.....Bedroom

ttodd
14 years ago

You mentioned your DH wants a Shaker Style 4 poster bed and you want upholstered. Just a thought - not sure what your exact style is overall (but would love to see mre pics f your place in one thread!) but what about a modern shaker style white bed w/ upholstered headboard?

Besides the color and overall style of your bedrooom one of the things that I really like about it is your black hardware and grate coverings. Is your home old or a new build?

Comments (40)

• pirula
    14 years ago

ttodd, how kind you are to be thinking about this. I really appreciate it because it's been a bone of contention for over three years now.

The house is almost 40 years old, and one of those very nondescript architectural styles called a "rambler." Which really can be anything. It's more cottagey than anything else I think, and had very traditional built ins in the living room and dining room when we bought it. We replaced all the baseboards, crown moulding, window/door trim, doors, windows etc. And yes, those grates are new as well. We basically gutted the first floor down to the studs (except for the living room and dining room built ins). We saved the original hardwood floors. Knocked down walls, reconfigured rooms, etc. It's a completely different house, but still retains some of it's original charm (we kept the brick fireplace for example, and those beautiful built ins the original owner put in). I'll try and post more pictures of other rooms for you when I get home today.

The style of the house is basically relaxed formal I suppose, traditional but not. We opened it up, have traditional, modern, and transitional things. Lots of stuff brought back from living overseas in India, Jerusalem and Cairo. Some stuff of my mother's that I cannot bear to part with (a large china cabinet and bar cabinet). It's quite a mix. I'm an anglophile living in a house that's not very anglo. But I do what I can. The bedroom was always meant to me a tad more modern, but still soft.

One of the reasons I want an upholstered bed is because there is so much wood already on the floors and the big nightstands. DH just hates upholstered beds (thinks they're ugly, poor clueless slob). The Shaker pencil post is simple enough that it would work with the soft contemporary thing in the bedroom, so really it's only the wood that's the issue. Maybe if he'd let me paint it. But he's a guy, he loves wood. You know how that is. What I REALLY love are french/swedish carved/painted beds and wouldn't give a rat's behind if it "went" or not with what is there already. Because I'd love it enough that it would work to my eyes. But, can't find any, alas. So here we are, sleeping on the same harvard bed frame I slept in as a child. At least it converts to queen size!

• pirula
    14 years ago

Okay ttodd, you asked. But your request makes me realize how few pictures of the house I have....I also apologize for the quality of the living room one, but I think you'll get the idea.

House itself (it's two stories at the back with a walkout basement, which we currently (and slowly) remodeling:

Kitchen (that's the living room and dining room you see from the kitchen in the last pic):

Dining room:

Living room:

Master bath:

And lastly! Just for fun, check this out. A week ago. View from the front door:

• djsaw
    14 years ago

Pirula,

Beautiful home! If you don't mind me asking what type of counters do you have? Are they face grain? Did you Waterlox them? Thanks

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

What a beautiful home, and where are you with all that snow? I also would be interested to know what are your beautiful kitchen counters?

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

oh what a lovely place and the kitchen is awesome!

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Now where have you been hiding, hmmmm???? Lovely home and wonderful choices throughout. yummy kitchen.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen and bath!

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

You have an absolutely beautiful home. I so love your choice of decor!

• pirula
    14 years ago

Wow, thank you very very much everyone!

The counters are made from American cherry. they're planks. DH made them. Then I oiled them with tung oil cut 50/50 with citrus solvent. It's funny that they seem to be everyone's favorite thing in the house, our friends and here as well!

So, what are your thoughts on the two bed options for the master? Here's what I want....then I'll post what DH wants. And you you'll see the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upholstered.....

• pirula
    14 years ago

Here is DH's first choice....

I think I could be very happy with this, if we painted it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pencil post....

• msrose
    14 years ago

I don't know if you already posted a picture of your bedroom in a previous post, but can you post that here also? I really like both beds, but I'd like to see what the rest of the room looks like.

Laurie

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Yes, I see your dilemma! They are very different. I personally like the upholstered one better - just looks more comfy to read in bed against.

I have two questions for you if you don't mind!:-)

We have been looking at a house without upper cabinets and they keep all their dishes in drawers and the glasses are across the room in a pantry cabinet. I'm not sure I like this - I'm used to my glasses being by the sink! Where do you keep your drinking glasses?

I love your bathroom as well - but when I look around my bathroom, I'm amazed at all the "stuff" I have. Where do you keep your hair dryer, flat iron, makeup, hair gel, body lotions, contact case/cleaners - it looks like you have a medicine cabinet - does that open up?

Love your house!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Ivette - you have a beautiful home! You and your hubby have done an amazing job. I can tell alot of hard work has gone into your home. I like the little post light outside. Count me in on loving the wood countertops also! Lovely kitchen.

I seem to remember (from the old atticmag board) you did a darling room and bathroom for your little boy. Or do I have you confused with someone else?

Glad you posted all the pics!

tina

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Well, that was certainly a pleasure! Boy, do I love a ranch/rambler. My first house and my most recent house were both sprawling ranches and I love that feeling. You have really brought something special to your place.

I just bought a cheap version of the button-tufted headboard and I am loving it. My husband wanted something with slats or posts in the back, but he doesn't do the shopping. I have found that my bedding tastes are not totally in line with the headboard. I gravitate to border-print paisley quilts and shams. I think that C&B quilt I saw in the other thread is the direction I need to head in.

A quick question...are the roman shades in the bathroom functioning? Where did you get them?

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Oh I forgot the bed question. I am not seeing the shaker post bed in your house. IMHO, it doesn't fit. I think an upholstered headboard would look great. You could DIY for soooo much less though. Have you see pictures here of the one Texas Hottie did? I could also see a painted wood bed in your room - or have ya'll considered some type metal bed?

tina

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

Beautiful home! I too, love the counter tops. Are they a lot of trouble? I'm now thinking maybe for my kitchenette in my basement would be a great place for some of them.

• pirula
    14 years ago

Okay lots of questions....
    Sorry, here's the bedroom:

caroleoh: The drinking glasses are in the two cabinets flanking the wine fridge at the end of the island. They're perfect there because they're near the dishwasher, sink, fridge and dining room. Some wine glasses are on the open shelves. Quite invonvenient actually, but nice to look at. We usually use the ones in the cabinet.

We don't have a lot of stuff in the bathroom. I don't use hair dryers and don't wear much make up. However, the bathroom isn't finished. DH will eventually do a small built in in there for storage. We put it off, and three years later find we don't miss it. But it wil eventually go in. For now, shampoos/soaps are in the shower, lotion and extra TP in a basket, toothbrush/contactlense stuff on the shelf over the sink. I don't mind it. But again, it's not alot of stuff. I wish the medicine cabinet opened up, but alas, the mirror is right behind the vent ducting for the stove in the kitchen, so no go.

tinam61, do you mean this?:

He's quite outgrown these bright colors, don'tcha know. And we're repainting sometime this year in Lamp Room Gray and Downpipe. You really think that bed doesn't fit? Hmmm...not so sure about that. But it's certainly good ammo with DH! And no, don't particularly like metal beds.

than you amysrq! Yes the roman shades are functional. They're white linen and I got them through Smith & Noble.

lafondaranch: thanks, and no the counters are no trouble at all, they are supremely functional and easy to take care of. We love them.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pirula - thanks for the pics. I love your kitchen counters - I grew up w/ cherry counters in our house. I'm kicking around wood counters again for this kitchen since DH and my dad can both get really nice wood really cheap.

I have to ask if your DR corner cab. interior is painted turquoise. If it is I have to tell you that my kitchen corner cab. is cream w/ a brilliant turquoise interior! How funny would that be?

In regards to the bed, what about a shaker style pencil post w/ an upholstered, button tufted headboard, maybe a little lower than the headboard that you like, all in white or cream? I think that the 2 simple shape styes could lend themselves to eachother very well.

Can't say that I've ever seen one that way but seems to me that it's be easy enough have make. My brother makes pencil post beds (none for me though - brat!) and I've seen kits to make them. You could hire out the upholstered headboard part - or if you're adventurous try it yourself!

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Pirula,

I love your house, especially your bedroom. Lovely color. I would never have thought off-white would looks so beautiful.
    Can you tell me where you got the Roman Shades in your dining room, I believe?
    Thanks.

• pirula
    14 years ago

Yes ttodd, the insides of those cabinets are original and a bluish green. I thought about repainting them when I repainted the outsides with "Pointing" but decided to keep it. I kind of like the contrast, as opposed to going with some cream to match the kitchen/dining/living more. The upholstered pencil post is a neat idea. Don't think DH will go for it. he's just adamantly against upholstered, period. He could make our bed. He made the dining room table (from 300 year old heart pine!).

thanks scanmike and sorry, no shades in the dining room. Only in master bath. Must be the ones you mean. They're from Smith & Noble.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen. I think a suede (or faux-suede) headboard in a soft color, but with no frills, would go nicely, and be comfy but not femmie.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Sorry about that. Yes they are in your bathroom.
    Do you remember the fabric you used?
    As far as your headboard problem, I feel for you. My husband also would think it was heresy to paint wood, let alone have a headboard that's not made of wood! I agree, must be a man thing. I actually like either one but if your husband is anything like mine, go for the pencil bed and paint it. I think he'll agree to that easier. That being said I love your house...the open kitchen shelves work so well and again, I love your bedroom wallpaper.

• ksoxgrl
    14 years ago

You sure do have a lovely home! I too prefer the tufted headboard for your room and am considering one for my upcoming bedroom makeover. I don't think it's too feminine at all. I'm also loving your paint color with the white trim. Do you mind sharing the wall color? Good luck with your decision :)

• dlfrun66
    14 years ago

pirula..Is your shower a steam shower? Can you tell me about it? Do you use it often? That's on my dream list for one of our next projects. Probably next year till we redo master bath, but am thinking I want a steam shower. I use the steam room at the health club a couple x per week, so I think I'd use it.

Thanks,

DIna

• pirula
    14 years ago

scanmike: it's white 100% linen. It's a little heavier than handkerchief linen, but not much. I love them, and will eventually have either drapes or roman shades made of the same fabric for the master bedroom. Someday!

ksoxgrl: Thank you! The bedroom color? It's Farrow & Ball's "Off White". But be careful and test it before you go for it. F&B rings different in every location. Someone posted on a separate thread that their living room is painted the same color and looks not remotely gray.

dinobambino: yes it is a steam shower, and every time I get out of it I think "This is the best money we've ever spent." We love it. DH uses it daily. I'm more of a weekend steamer because I like to baste for 20-30 minutes. It's so relaxing, and very healthy too.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Pirula-Just wanted to comment that your home is just beautiful! I love the kitchen...and the bathroom...and the living room (so cozy!)Ok, love the entire home:)

Classic, welcoming and wonderful attention to detail!!
    What a wonderful place to come home to...even with all of that snow, lol. (Pretty, though)

• kiki_redo
    14 years ago

so charming and classy and interesting

i've really enjoyed seeing your photos

• loribee
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say...what a lovely home!
    Really enjoyed the pix~

• pirula
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Hi,

I was all set to paint my bedroom Ek Mustard Seed, but after seeing your photos, I am realizing that your color is more "me". People on this forum were encouraging me to go outside my comfort zone, rather than go softer. My bedroom is now yellow with a quilt that has yellow, beige, taupey grey color in it. It's a small room but I was always drawn to taupe. I would have never thought off white would show up so well against the white trim. It's the look I want. Did you buy their small paint cans? Also, did you try any other colors? I also am looking at shaded white.
    Thanks,
    Denise

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Love your bathrooms!

• pirula
    14 years ago

Thanks newdawn1895!

scanmike, I responded to the testing question on your other thread. As to the Shaded White, I have my fandex here, and took into my bedroom. The Off White chip, as ever, looks beige, although my walls are gray. I hold it up to the walls and it matches perfectly nevertheless. The Shaded White is of roughly the same tone, but slightly grayer. It is a beautiful color. It is described (and clearly is) as a "neutral, just darker than Off White and Lighter than Old White. Meaning, it will definitely have the same green undertone most likely, as both of those do. It also suggests it can be used as a "light drab" which also suggests green. So test it for sure to see how green it goes in your space. The green in the off white is really very subtle. It almost just cools the color down, rather than give it a true green cast. I see it, but most do not. My DH for example, has no clue. To him it's "just gray."

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Yes indeed a beautiful home throughout...very upscale but a comfortable lived in look. Love all your colors.

As far as the bed goes, seems like the padded headboard would be a better fit with the room and entire style in your home. If you did end up going with the poster, you could soften it with pillows and a throw. Your wall paper and the gray is soooo nice. Maybe a change out of the overhead lamp to match whatever style bed you get.

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Pirula --

Your house is gorgeous! Love everything about it.

I do have a question though. Part of my kitchen countertops are pine wood and they were oiled when we moved in with what I swear the PO said was linseed oil. They needed to be re-oiled a few years ago and I used linseed but it didn't end up looking right. Parts were dull, parts were glossy, and overall the whole look was blotchy and uneven, but we lived with it.

The counter on the island is now getting pretty ratty looking again and I want to restain and re-oil, but I don't want to use the same linseed oil I used because it didn't turn out good.

So, to make a long question short, I would LOVE to know what specific products you used on your counters - brand names and where you bought them, if you remember. I've never heard of "citrus solvent" and I know there are several brands and gloss levels for the tung oil. So if you happen to know a combo that works, I'd be forever in your debt!

• pirula
    14 years ago

thanks very much lkplatow,

You'll want to sand down the counters to get rid of the unevenness. I didn't stain mine, but I assume you can use the tung oil/citrus solvent with stained wood. But I'm honestly not sure. Below is a link to the exact tung oil I used. Within the description for the tung oil, there is a link to the citrus solvent. I get them both at this place. Good luck! Note, I used the regular tung oil not/not the dark tung oil. I tested it and it looked muddy on our cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Real Milk Paint

• pirula
    14 years ago

thanks to you too vampiressrn...

I've told DH that it's unanimous on GW that we get an upholstered bed. hee hee......

• hhireno
    14 years ago

I could move into your home and live happily. It is just lovely. Now you have me thinking about wood countertops again. Your DH might not be happy about the upholstered bed (which is the right choice!)but mine wouldn't be thrilled about my renewed interest in wooden countertops.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

• crazyone
    14 years ago

great home, thanks for sharing photos!!

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Pirula - thanks so much for the link. That stuff looks great, and the company is only about 20 minutes from my house, so maybe I can pick it up and save shipping. I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask what the best product would be for this application.

Do you remember how long it took to cure? This is my island - I can't keep stuff off it for long! Hoping it isn't a 7 day cure or something like that. Yikes!

• pirula
    14 years ago

Actually, it is. The first time, you have to wait a couple of days between coats. And I did like eight coats the first time. it took a good week or so. I tried doing it faster, and ended up sanding down and starting all over again. Also, another mistake I made, was to put too much on at any one time. Takes forever to dry that way. A thin coat, but thick enough that it clearly goes in, is enough each go round.

If you want to do it right, you'll need to cordon off the counter and find some other surface for a couple of weeks!. BTW, 8 coats was probably overkill, but I've only had to refresh once in 3 years. Refreshing takes no time at all. A quick application, buff, an hour or two, and you're done.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is worth it.