Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Best paint color for black doors? going off kswl's thread....

lkplatow
12 years ago

I didn't want to hijack kswl's thread, but I have a couple black-door questions. I've been planning for quite some time now to paint the insides of my main entry doors black. But I've been holding off because I'm afraid that straight-up black will be too harsh and stark against the all white trim and lighter walls (I painted my stair bannister an off-the-shelf rustoleum black a year or two ago and hated it - I ended up stripping it all off and restaining). I have several brownish-blacks that I've used throughout my home and I was going to use one of those, but they're really more brown than black and I don't want "brown doors", LOL. So I've been trapped in analysis paralysis and my poor doors still sit unpainted.

So I've got a couple questions:

1) if you painted your doors black, what paint color did you use? Was it a true black or an "off-black"? If an "off-black" - what direction off was it (I appreciated that kswl shared that hers was a bit greenish.)

2) What paint brand/gloss level did you use? Is it holding up? Did you prime first, and if so, what brand of primer and did you tint it? I ask because the one door has taken quite a bit of abuse from my dogs jumping up against it to look out the half-glass at the top - I'm afraid that if I paint it black and it doesn't hold up, the scratches are going to be super-noticeable since the door will be so much darker (it's currently white). So I'd like the toughest paint possible. Current paint is oil, but I haven't had problems going over it with latex if I properly sand and prime.

Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• Cheryl
    12 years ago

I like a true black - SW Tricorn. In satin for inside doors, semi gloss for outside doors. If already painted, I don't prime first. Yes it will show scratches, but it doesn't show prints/scuffs as easily as white - it is a trade off.

• mdrive
    12 years ago

count me as another who is going to paint the front door black....

currently my door is a dark red, and the interior side is white....

i like the idea using semi-gloss on the outside, and satin on the inside, riff...

i wonder if it would help at all to paint the door with a dark tinted primer first (especially on the interior) where the 'base coat' would be white and would obviously show scratches more, no dogs or small children at home, so scratches aren't a huge problem, but i would sure like to minimize the potential

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Diamond Vogel has a product called CoteAll, Comes in "black" and semi and hi gloss. If you don't have a store near you, they will ship from their Orange City, Iowa plant/location.

Diamond Vogel is a paint manufacturer with stores. They have have a Dutch pedigree just like Fine Paints of Europe.

But, DV is a heck of a lot cheaper. A gallon of CoteAll is only $51.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Vogel

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

For the exterior and interior of our front door / sidelights we used BM oil-based Impervo Alkyd High Gloss, in off-the-shelf black (I also used it on the vanity in our powder room). For our interior doors I used BM Impervex Latex High Gloss Metal and Wood, again in off-the-shelf black (so water-based).

I used the latex on that later go-round because I find oil clean-up a drag, but truthfully I think the oil is more durable. I have thus far (and it's been four+ years on the front door / sidelights, two years for the vanity, and about one year for the water-based interior doors) had no problems with any of the surfaces. I do not have a dog which scratches at the doors, but knowing that I would strongly encourage oil-based. I do have little children who are not careful, and my youngest likes to put his open palm on everything. I am a Windex-with-microfiber addict -- that ammonia cleans everything!

I wanted the plainest, truest black possible because that's what makes sense in my home, as the green-based black makes perfect sense in kswl's lovely home. Would love to see pictures of your before / after!

• User
    12 years ago

It's amazing how much interest we all have in this topic!
    I wanted to contribute that we are priming our doors with a gray primer, also from SW, followed by two coats of satin greenblack. We have six more doors primed and they should be painted by the end of the day and will post pictures.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Not doors, but we used BM's regular black mixed up in Aura matte finish on our brick wall/FP in our FR. We had the primer tinted grey.

• olivesmom
    12 years ago

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think I might go with "Francesca" by Martha Stewart paint (matched in Behr ultra). Francesca reads a dark black, yet still soft. I tried "cracked pepper" by Behr first and it was way too gray. I might try "black suede" by Behr, though I'm starting to get tired of all the painting going on.

I'm going with a satin finish on the doors. I think a gloss would give too much of a formal or glamorous look for the modern cottage style I am trying to impart.

• kayec28
    12 years ago

I painted my interior doors BM Iron Mountain, semi-gloss. It's a very dark gray but it reads as black. I love it. Can't remember if my painter primed the doors first.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• trinityklm
    12 years ago

I used BM blacktop in satin. I adore it!

I first tried a high gloss alkyd paint but it was like a black hole and I didn't like the glossiness reflecting light so brightly. Think black patent leather shoes.

Blacktop is a deep, but soft black. I wish I'd painted my front door black years ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Blacktop

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Our old house was brick, 100+ yrs old. We wanted an "old black" for the front door that felt historic. We found SW Inkwell a common choice in historic districts, and liked it very much.

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

SW Tricorn Black # 6258 - Sherwin Williams Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex Satin used on the interior and exterior of the our entry door. It has a sheen to it but is not shiny looks very nice, 4 of my friends have now painted their doors the same color!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Gorgeous entry rtwilliams, thanks for sharing!

• User
    12 years ago

Rhwilliams, your front door is outstanding! Every time I see another black door I am newly amazed at what a difference it makes. Beautiful door, beautiful house!

• boystown
    12 years ago

RHwilliams: Your front door looks amazing. Also like you interior wall color. Would you mind sharing the color and brand?? Thanks

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

gagesgranny - the interior on the whole house is SW #7533 Khaki Shade the only room not painted this color is the laundry/mudroom it is one shade lighter SW Urban Putty #7532. The Painters used SW ProMar 200 ZERO-VOC interior Latex Egg-shell, it has a nice sheen to it but not shiny.

KSWL - thanks! I love the black door, we get lots of compliments on it.